Halogen downlights keep blowing

Icebird

I have got a pair of halogen down lights in my ceiling. For some reason, I find they keep taking turns to blow out after a few months. I have spent quite a bit of money replacing the bulbs but they don't last very long. After a few months, one will start to flicker and eventually die. I notice that the pins of the bulb would have turned black. Is it because it is too hot? Anything I can do?

↡ Advertisement

I am using Osram. I find LED lights very white/ bright ... the halogen ones I have now have a more yellowish/ warm colour which I prefer.

I think it's the lighting ballast that has become faulty. I also had the same problem with one of my rooms flourescent lights. Every time I fix 2 tubes, one of them will blow within a few weeks. I got fed up and leave it with just one and it can last for very long. Later I realised the ballast controlling the two tubes of lighting is faulty and got it changed. After that all is working fine.

Supercharged
(edited)

Just in case you dont know, dont touch the glass of the bulb with bare fingers as the oils from your fingers can weaken the bulb, shorten its life span and possibly even cause it to burst when it is turned on.

Edited by Xers007

1st Gear

Just in case you dont know, dont touch the glass of the bulb with bare fingers as the oils from your fingers can weaken the bulb, shorten its life span and possibly even cause it to burst when it is turned on.

Finger marks will create hot spot on the glass, once lit, hot enough to break it.

you might want to change the holder as well. Do you switch them on every night ? If yes, then it's normal that they blow every few months cos they generate a lot of heat. But 1 halogen bulb not exp mah, $2 nia for normal 50W ones

I am using Osram. I find LED lights very white/ bright ... the halogen ones I have now have a more yellowish/ warm colour which I prefer.

yes, the LED ones, even warm white the colour is somehow lacking ..

Take the chance to change to a digital electronic ballast.

halogen bulb always paired with electronic transformer leh, unless his contractor cut cost [lipsrsealed]

Sorry, an old thread.

After 8 yrs, the spring of my downlight has broken n left the downlight dropping there

Any where to get replacement spring or any other ways to attach it to the L box??

Eg use silicon or can use 3m tape?? Thanks

Anyone changed or convet downlights to led for the ceiling ? Sorry to bring up an old thread. Where to buy ?

have changed my downlights to Philips LEDs.

bought from lightings.com at jalan besar around 2 years ago.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Anyone changed or convet downlights to led for the ceiling ? Sorry to bring up an old thread. Where to buy ?

Philips carnival sale just over.

Just head over to JB. Cheap cheap.

Bought $12 each off eBay. My unit had 14 pieces all together. Better to buy spare. While the LED light is reliable, same can't be said for the inverter. The inverter can also be purchased at around $2 each off eBay.

(edited)

I have already changed some of my lights to simple bulb holders + cheap IKEA LED bulbs. Any more fancy light fixture including ballast or bulb spoil, I will not hesitate to retire them and replace them with $2.50 bulb holder + IKEA LED bulb.

As we age, we need to simplify things. Cannot tolerate climbing ladder to yank those heavy monsters up and down. Bulb holder, just unscrew the bulb, screw in new one. Less than 1 min job, male or female, adult or children all can do. 

Bonus: with unfiltered lights, room very very bright, good for old flower eyes.  [laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 5

The spring mechanism of my halogen housing came off when i was trying to replace the ballast recently.

So i changed to led type from taobao. u can search under "LED射灯cob斗胆灯". i bought the 5W warm white version which is comparable to my existing halogen in terms of brightness/lumen and colour

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2