Electric cars

Expertz

so after reading so many bad reviews about the civic hybrid and several good reviews about the pirus

i'm wondering if 100% electric cars will be a good move in the near future, if the battery can withstand our sunny temperatures

anybody got any experience to share? what is the lifespan of such batteries?

the civic groups complain a whole lot about their batteries but the people who own the piruses seem to be very happy with their cars, so it does seem like a split down the middle

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

1st Gear

the rechargeable batteries themselves are pretty straightforward.

Life span will be determined by number of charges besides the shelf time, can check wiki for more info.

Perhaps the difference experiences between Civic and Prius is actually the difference in charge/discharge electrical system and how each works with their respective engine, rather than the differences in batteries themselves.

Prius must have been better engineered because the feedback confirms.

imho 100% EV in near future for Singapore would be expecting too much.

we will know, when there are more solid evidence of infra structures for this.

• Praise 1

the rechargeable batteries themselves are pretty straightforward.

Life span will be determined by number of charges besides the shelf time, can check wiki for more info.

Perhaps the difference experiences between Civic and Prius is actually the difference in charge/discharge electrical system and how each works with their respective engine, rather than the differences in batteries themselves.

Prius must have been better engineered because the feedback confirms.

imho 100% EV in near future for Singapore would be expecting too much.

we will know, when there are more solid evidence of infra structures for this.

usually wiki information are written for the caucasians who have cooler climates

i'm not sure if the batteries will lose their charge when constantly parked under 40deg sun

EV cars are already on trial, the renault fluence does seem to be a really nice car to me

Unless they built charging point at all carpark lot, it's gonna be difficult to implement.

Those batt take hours to charge! If kena stuck in jam and low batt is no joke when before that you are already low on charge without charging point.

Singapore electricity not cheap too, and cannot use it in msia.

Prius definitely a better choice.

1st Gear

Many production EVs are already in the market, they're just not here locally for some reasons.

This alone signals that no infrastructures will be made available in near future.

The irony for Singapore has to be this,

to charge an EV, electricity produced has to come from fossil fuel.

Imagine us crippled so bad when we don't have electricity.

1st Gear

Forgot to add..

There are also EV conversion kit for any combustion engine replacement.

So switching to EV is actually never an issue.

Charging and producing electricity is.

Unless they built charging point at all carpark lot, it's gonna be difficult to implement.

Those batt take hours to charge! If kena stuck in jam and low batt is no joke when before that you are already low on charge without charging point.

Prius definitely a better choice.

well i pay over $500 a month on petrol and i'm very certain i'll be paying less than half of that in electricity if the electrical cost is the same as a household's

Many production EVs are already in the market, they're just not here locally for some reasons.

This alone signals that no infrastructures will be made available in near future.

The irony for Singapore has to be this,

to charge an EV, electricity produced has to come from fossil fuel.

Imagine us crippled so bad when we don't have electricity.

i did read there are a few trial EVs in singapore and i find it extremely interesting and enticing

i think the infrastructure can be built easily, EVs use the normal power socket right? its easy to run a wire to a car, the only problem is with the govt and how are they going to charge us for the electricity

(edited)

It the samething with petrol isn't it? If you stuck on traffic with low on fuel you will break down on the road while the petrol station miles away. Yes ev takes ages to charge up, the quickest in 30mins. When you driving an ev u have to plan your journey. You can't just wake up 1 morning & fancy some dim sum in Melaka. The purpose of ev is for city short commuting not for long journey just yet. Unless you can find level 3 charger everywhere.

Yes agree at the moment Prius is the best bet. For god sake stay away from the Honda hybrid.

Edited by Leafable

well i pay over $500 a month on petrol and i'm very certain i'll be paying less than half of that in electricity if the electrical cost is the same as a household's

How much is the electricity cost in Singapore per unit/kwh? Sorry I'm new in Singapore.

usually wiki information are written for the caucasians who have cooler climates

i'm not sure if the batteries will lose their charge when constantly parked under 40deg sun

EV cars are already on trial, the renault fluence does seem to be a really nice car to me

True. The battery will have problem in Singapore climate in long term. Theres already encounter issues with battery lose it capability holding charge in Arizona us. So yes theres 48 piece of batteries in the fluence/leaf. Each cost

model-s-alpha-and-roadster_960x640_h.jpg

The Tesla model S....4 door...should be in SGP next year...it has the longest driving range than any EV now...the highest batt option goes to ~400km range!

battery_table_55-1.png

with the advancement of electric car

exhaust workshop (ie: Fong Kim, Mann, Jeep Cheep, etc) must think of changing business liao

as you know, spore "change" sibei fast one ... opps $100K COE may be very slow

well considering singapore driving, normal household plugs will do for us. contrary to what we hear in the news about how we need fast charging, the batteries charge quite fast for what we use, and we dont need fast charging stations.

stuck in a jam lagi better for electric vehicles. no such thing as idling "fuel" consumption for the engine, so you're not using power at all to stay there.

electricity wise, its much cheaper then petrol tax, so in the end it still pays off

• Praise 2

well considering singapore driving, normal household plugs will do for us. contrary to what we hear in the news about how we need fast charging, the batteries charge quite fast for what we use, and we dont need fast charging stations.

stuck in a jam lagi better for electric vehicles. no such thing as idling "fuel" consumption for the engine, so you're not using power at all to stay there.

electricity wise, its much cheaper then petrol tax, so in the end it still pays off

[/quot

Traffic jam still need to switch on air con. Air con need lots of power .

Maybe someone will invent manual charger. Keep cranking inside the car. Good exercise. Whole family can do it in the car.

Neutral Newbie

It the samething with petrol isn't it? If you stuck on traffic with low on fuel you will break down on the road while the petrol station miles away. Yes ev takes ages to charge up, the quickest in 30mins. When you driving an ev u have to plan your journey. You can't just wake up 1 morning & fancy some dim sum in Melaka. The purpose of ev is for city short commuting not for long journey just yet. Unless you can find level 3 charger everywhere.

Yes agree at the moment Prius is the best bet. For god sake stay away from the Honda hybrid.

sff.gifmuch appreciated

-bump-

(edited)

No doubt about it that Toyota has more experience than Honda in Petrol/electric car technologies and experience.

Toyota makes Full hybrid vehicles and most flag ship models will have a hydrid option, while currently, Honda has been is making Assisted hybrid vehicles, in a few models.

Some hybrid models from other car mfr also uses Toyota's hybrid parts and technologies.

The early generation hybrid vehicles from toyota were also encountered with battery temperature problems. They were placed under floorboard, with no ventilations.

Currently, Toyota installed battery packs inside car cabin where it is cooler. The best location is between the 2 front seats, and that it is connected to the car's aircon return ducts. Second option will be below rear seat. Cooler fans help cool battery packs.

When buying electric cars,

2 power options are the best.

I will not buy a full electric car and no way I am going to wait up to 30mins for charging.

Edited by 5936

Yes, you are right on engine cut off during idling and traffic jam.

But the air con is not driven by engine.

Air con compressor is connected to a DC motor back to back. So it draws power from batter pack no need to turn on engine.

↡ Advertisement