Electric cars

Expertz

(edited)

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/paris-slams-brakes-on-electric-car-sharing-scheme

each car was used on average just 4.5 times a day in 2016 - the most recent year for which data is available

Same company that runs BlueSG. Seems like the scheme isn't taking off in France. So how long can we expect BlueSG to last and are they really going to build more charging stations remains to be seen. 

Another half-hearted scheme by our scholars here?

Hardly see those "golf cart" on the road nowadays.

Edited by kelaihoyin

500 or even 1000 charging points won't make a dent.... One charging point at most serve 2 or 3 vehicles a day. So 1 to 2000 electric vehicles out of total vehicle population of about 500k I think. Not even 1 percent.

• Praise 1

500 or even 1000 charging points won't make a dent.... One charging point at most serve 2 or 3 vehicles a day. So 1 to 2000 electric vehicles out of total vehicle population of about 500k I think. Not even 1 percent.

How can 2 or 3 cars a day?

From 0 to full takes 3 hrs.

Cos people will park there for the whole day or night... Who would want to shift their cars after 3 hours? Very leh che...

Unless it is supercharger charging up in 5 minutes or so to 80 percent.

Cos people will park there for the whole day or night... Who would want to shift their cars after 3 hours? Very leh che...

Sorry hor.

U are supposed to move it once done.

Next time we will see stomp on EV charging points hogger.

It's a charging bay not a parking bay. If the user don't move their vehicle once fully charged the building management have the right to remove the vehicle.

100 of the 500 chargers will be DC rapid chargers. Only need 30mins to charge each vehicle. So each DC rapid charger can serve up to 12 vehicles each day.

There lies in the hurdles of the current state of electric car technology. 

30min or 3hrs, who will bother with the hassle of waiting or timing their errands such that they can come back in time to move their vehicle and find another parking lot in the same carpark? 

I will assume DC rapid chargers are more costly to install. How are the charges like? 

Owning a car is mostly about convenience. Why pay more for inconvenience of a full electric car? 

IMHO, petrol electric hybrid will be the best way forward for the next 2 decades till they have the technology for a 10min quick full charge available alongside every petrol kiosk. 

It's a charging bay not a parking bay. If the user don't move their vehicle once fully charged the building management have the right to remove the vehicle.

100 of the 500 chargers will be DC rapid chargers. Only need 30mins to charge each vehicle. So each DC rapid charger can serve up to 12 vehicles each day.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

30min or 3hrs, who will bother with the hassle of waiting or timing their errands such that they can come back in time to move their vehicle and find another parking lot in the same carpark?

I will assume DC rapid chargers are more costly to install. How are the charges like?

Owning a car is mostly about convenience. Why pay more for inconvenience of a full electric car?

IMHO, petrol electric hybrid will be the best way forward for the next 2 decades till they have the technology for a 10min quick full charge available alongside every petrol kiosk.

I agree.

This is one aspect electric cars need to improve in the next 5 to 10 years, other than the range aspect.

This boil down to civilmindedness of the society lo.

Either be PRC or AMDK.

Even in Beijing, I didn’t hear any grumbling on charging lo.

Since the big manufacturers are jumping on EV bandwagon, development cycle of battery will be shorten.

The day my handphone can quick full charge in under 5 mins will I start to believe that EV battery can even smell 15min full charge.

Currently even my 3500mAh battery handphone with QC3.0 charging still takes about an hour for a full charge from flat.

This boil down to civilmindedness of the society lo.

Either be PRC or AMDK.

Even in Beijing, I didn’t hear any grumbling on charging lo.

Since the big manufacturers are jumping on EV bandwagon, development cycle of battery will be shorten.

The day my handphone can quick full charge in under 5 mins will I start to believe that EV battery can even smell 15min full charge.

Currently even my 3500mAh battery handphone with QC3.0 charging still takes about an hour for a full charge from flat.

IPhone X with 30w USB-C charger also takes at least 1hr to charge from 0 to Full.

I think the current best technology for electric car is having a onboard petrol generator. It not only extends its range but also can do without looking for a charging point.

Like this model, Volt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

• Praise 1

I think the current best technology for electric car is having a onboard petrol generator. It not only extends its range but also can do without looking for a charging point.

Like this model, Volt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

EV with REx is not very popular.  I only know Volt and i3 has it.

All EVs to be launched don't have REx.

Europe and US has better charging facilities than Singapore. 

Even though Singapore is smaller.

I rem someone posted a video of Tesla travelling from Sydney to Melbourne.

↡ Advertisement