Electric cars

Expertz

4 hours ago, Ingenius said:

It is not every technology that Singapore has to be the early adopter or pioneer.  Singapore is not a car producing economy, we have to wait for the technology to be mature and standards to be formed, then we can plan and build infrastructure for it.  Also, technology evolves, and will become better over time and cheaper due to economies of scale (mass production and adoption).  Only simple minded people will know how to complain and criticize without even understanding such things.

Yup.  Remember the CNG vehicle debacle in SG that came and went away just like that … leaving many early adopters stranded and frustrated?

There is currently still no standard for EV charging as yet, to each (brand/make) its own.  There may be chargers available in carparks that are either incompatible (re fittings), or need to have signed a term deal with the operator.

Caveat emptor!

11 minutes ago, merc280v6 said:

Yup.  Remember the CNG vehicle debacle in SG that came and went away just like that … leaving many early adopters stranded and frustrated?

There is currently still no standard for EV charging as yet, to each (brand/make) its own.  There may be chargers available in carparks that are either incompatible (re fittings), or need to have signed a term deal with the operator.

Caveat emptor!

What do you mean by Charging standard?

https://www.ema.gov.sg/Electric_Vehicle_Charging_Systems.aspx

EV movement is driven from the supplier side rather than govt initiative.

Govt doesn't have to do anything until you have no choice.

17 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Our LTA is a few generations behind the curve 

LTA run by a bunch of bozos.

Rail side = Fail

PMD, Bicycle, E-scooter = Fail

ERP2.0 = Fail

COE CAT A 130bhp = Fail

EV: whack ridiculous CO2 emissions on the 1st Tesla  = Fail

Bus contracting model =  50-50. not really a failure but higher fares for improved quality of service. but nothing new here.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

50 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

LTA run by a bunch of bozos.

Rail side = Fail

PMD, Bicycle, E-scooter = Fail

ERP2.0 = Fail

COE CAT A 130bhp = Fail

EV: whack ridiculous CO2 emissions on the 1st Tesla  = Fail

Bus contracting model =  50-50. not really a failure but higher fares for improved quality of service. but nothing new here.

ERP 1.0 system most successful so far.

Never failed or breakdown in a major way before. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, merc280v6 said:

Caveat emptor!

I thought we are already following the EU charging standard?

That means if charging by AC, its a Type 2 port. If going by DC, its a Combo-2 aka CCS port. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

The better in-btw car is plug-in hybrid.

On EV mode, it can travel up to 50km.

@inlinesix Disagree slightly with this.  Plug-in hybrid only works if you have easy/convenient access to a charger on a daily basis.  Otherwise you will run out of battery juice after 1 day on EV mode.  Then you are left carrying a deadweight battery.

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

@inlinesix Disagree slightly with this.  Plug-in hybrid only works if you have easy/convenient access to a charger on a daily basis.  Otherwise you will run out of battery juice after 1 day on EV mode.  Then you are left carrying a deadweight battery.

Plug-in hybrid can be charged via ICE, 3-pin plug or EV charging station.

Once it runs out, ICE will kick in.

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

What do you mean by Charging standard?

https://www.ema.gov.sg/Electric_Vehicle_Charging_Systems.aspx

EV movement is driven from the supplier side rather than govt initiative.

Govt doesn't have to do anything until you have no choice.

@inlinesix Hmmm these look like charging options, which may give rise to a form of “charging-compatibility” anxiety - whereby one arrives at a public carpark with very little range left, but finds only chargers with incompatible adaptors available there (and compatible ones could probably all be taken).

So he has to decide on either waiting for a slot to be vacated (god knows how long), or to move on to another public car park, where compatible chargers are available.  Not good.

wah … i think the biggest issue is range uncertainty and stranded without power

travel to malaysia practically impossible 

😅

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, merc280v6 said:

@inlinesix Hmmm these look like charging options, which may give rise to a form of “charging-compatibility” anxiety - whereby one arrives at a public carpark with very little range left, but finds only chargers with incompatible adaptors available there (and compatible ones could probably all be taken).

So he has to decide on either waiting for a slot to be vacated (god knows how long), or to move on to another public car park, where compatible chargers are available.  Not good.

SG already standardized on EU charging connector. Even bluesg one is the EU AC charging point. Tesla imported also using EU CCS plugs

Your worries are non existent

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

47 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

SG already standardized on EU charging connector. Even bluesg one is the EU AC charging point. Tesla imported also using EU CCS plugs

Your worries are non existent

Say if I got myself a Nissan or KIA EV, will I be able to charge at the bluesg, or Tesla chargers?  Compatible plugs notwithstanding.

42 minutes ago, merc280v6 said:

Say if I got myself a Nissan or KIA EV, will I be able to charge at the bluesg, or Tesla chargers?  Compatible plugs notwithstanding.

BlueSG is usually a AC Type 2 3.7kW charger. So if your Nissan or Kia EV has a Type 2 port (confirm sure have one), you can use BlueSG but you also need to pay annual membership on top of per hour charging. 

Tesl superchargers for now only open to Tesla cars, other brands can't use even if ports are compatible. But tesla can use other chargers. 

• Praise 1

@merc280v6 It was less clear a few years back with competing Chademo, CSS and Tesla superchargers competing for wider acceptance. But currently for SG, looks like they have decided on CSS only, even for the Tesla cars.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, Enye said:

wah … i think the biggest issue is range uncertainty and stranded without power

travel to malaysia practically impossible 

😅

Thanks for sharing.

Read cold weather can reduce range by 40-50%, not sure if hot weather does the same, if less drastic, KL 400km is very doable.  With MY’s EV regime, very soon there will be fast chargers everywhere.  I am going to wait a few years before switching over but EV is the future. 

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

48 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Thanks for sharing.

Read cold weather can reduce range by 40-50%, not sure if hot weather does the same, if less drastic, KL 400km is very doable.  With MY’s EV regime, very soon there will be fast chargers everywhere.  I am going to wait a few years before switching over but EV is the future. 

a local context… good information esp on charging… i am not convinced yet

😅

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Thanks for sharing.

Very hot weather should also affect somewhat... as the battery needs to devote more energy to its cooling system.

I doubt it will be as bad as winter, that's why most of the EV new models seem to focus on reducing winter energy losses.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1