Electric cars

Expertz

5 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Better for the environment and pockets. Scrapping our underused cars at 10 year old is very wasteful. 

they probably be shipped to another country to be sold

avg life span of singapore car stands around 6 years + before people start to change, image that 

↡ Advertisement

12 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Better for the environment and pockets. Scrapping our underused cars at 10 year old is very wasteful. 

Exactly! In 2016 when my civic FD1 hit 10 years, we did consider getting a new civic, but the FD even at 10 years still felt not much different from new, it is smooth, responsive, quiet, still getting 11km/l with mostly city driving, and not much wear and tear to fix (less than 1.5K to restore).

Very wasted to scrap so the COE was renewed 

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, SiLangKia said:

Exactly! In 2016 when my civic FD1 hit 10 years, we did consider getting a new civic, but the FD even at 10 years still felt not much different from new, it is smooth, responsive, quiet, still getting 11km/l with mostly city driving, and not much wear and tear to fix (less than 1.5K to restore).

Very wasted to scrap so the COE was renewed 

Same thinking. So I renewed mine as well. Still drives very well, especially with only R17 rims not oversized, and GY EG tyres, rides as comfortable and even quieter than many new (conti) cars. Only missing a big screen. Of course I chipped my car to about 280 hp, still can jiak 80% of the cars out there, including the TDI taxis. And it has yet to hit 80k km.... 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Same thinking. So I renewed mine as well. Still drives very well, especially with only R17 rims not oversized, and GY EG tyres, rides as comfortable and even quieter than many new (conti) cars. Only missing a big screen. Of course I chipped my car to about 280 hp, still can jiak 80% of the cars out there, including the TDI taxis. And it has yet to hit 80k km.... 

No wonder everytime  see you on the road in the area (shld be ba 3 digit number), acceleration so brisk HAHAAH

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

46 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/build-back-greener-boris-johnson-bans-petrol-cars-by-2030-20201119-p56fwn.html

UK plans to ban petrol cars by 2030.. I wonder how long will it take SG to follow suit..

SINGAPORE - After declaring its ambition to phase out internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles by 2040, Singapore will make electric vehicles more attractive from next year (2021).

In his Budget speech on Tuesday (Feb 18), Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat laid out a number of measures to do this.

"Our vision is to phase out ICE and have vehicles run on cleaner energy by 2040," Mr Heng said, adding that this goal is for "both public health and climate change reasons".

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/singapore-budget-2020-push-to-promote-evs-in-move-to-phase-out-petrol-and-diesel#:~:text=SINGAPORE - After declaring its ambition,of measures to do this.

19 minutes ago, Ishiwgao said:

SINGAPORE - After declaring its ambition to phase out internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles by 2040, Singapore will make electric vehicles more attractive from next year (2021).

In his Budget speech on Tuesday (Feb 18), Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat laid out a number of measures to do this.

"Our vision is to phase out ICE and have vehicles run on cleaner energy by 2040," Mr Heng said, adding that this goal is for "both public health and climate change reasons".

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/singapore-budget-2020-push-to-promote-evs-in-move-to-phase-out-petrol-and-diesel#:~:text=SINGAPORE - After declaring its ambition,of measures to do this.

The reason 2040 is to allow new cars that are registered now to have another cycle of COE  renewal when they reach 10 year old in future?

Supercharged

Volkswagen plans small electric car for the masses

"Under the project dubbed "Small BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle)", engineers are racing to develop a purely-battery powered car around the size of a Polo which will be available for between 20,000 and 25,000 euros (US$24,000-30,000)."

Assuming at USD27K, let's say about SGD37K OMV. With latest CAT A COE, the polo sized EV would come up to about SGD124K sticker price. Still not something majority in SG can afford even though it's priced for the masses elsewhere. VW...TRY HARDER.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/volkswagen-plans-small-electric-car-for-the-masses-13652116

577ca9a75effb8d031ef652b3c1c7b40.jpg

Should be cheaper, assuming 25k green rebates, only need to pay about 12k o15k ARF, plus 37k COE. All in costs about 80k plus. Can sell way below 100k if AD not too greedy. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Didu said:

Volkswagen plans small electric car for the masses

"Under the project dubbed "Small BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle)", engineers are racing to develop a purely-battery powered car around the size of a Polo which will be available for between 20,000 and 25,000 euros (US$24,000-30,000)."

Assuming at USD27K, let's say about SGD37K OMV. With latest CAT A COE, the polo sized EV would come up to about SGD124K sticker price. Still not something majority in SG can afford even though it's priced for the masses elsewhere. VW...TRY HARDER.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/volkswagen-plans-small-electric-car-for-the-masses-13652116

577ca9a75effb8d031ef652b3c1c7b40.jpg

You're overestimating the OMV. OMV is not simply equal to the selling price in other countries. As for this polo size one, I estimate the OMV to be about 25-30k. (I used cars with rrp of USD 25k as benchmark, the OMV of those cars hovers between 25-30k) Some examples are Mazda CX-5, Toyota RAV4, Toyota Prius.

Let's use the higher estimate of 30k. With the new VES rebates and EV early adoption scheme, basic cost comes up to be 81k. Give the AD a margin of 30k -> selling price = 111k. For comparison, the current list price of the Polo on VW website is 118k with a promo price of 106k.

• Praise 2

Supercharged
14 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Should be cheaper, assuming 25k green rebates, only need to pay about 12k o15k ARF, plus 37k COE. All in costs about 80k plus. Can sell way below 100k if AD not too greedy. 

SGD80K sounds much more reasonable(at SG rate). I hope China EV can come in to give them a run for their money.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Didu said:

SGD80K sounds much more reasonable(at SG rate). I hope China EV can come in to give them a run for their money.

China EV has really good potential.

The MG ZS for example is selling at 106k, very attractive pricing.

• Praise 4

Supercharged
13 minutes ago, wlalala said:

China EV has really good potential.

The MG ZS for example is selling at 106k, very attractive pricing.

Below article says MG ZS selling about USD14K in China --> i.e. SGD19K OMV or even lower?

Add 14K ARF (After 25K green rebate)

Add 41K COE

Total : 74K

Sorry I forgot to add dealer's margin. :=B:

https://www.saicmotor.com/english/latest_news/mg/48397.shtml

• Haha! 1

On 11/15/2020 at 10:46 AM, Mkl22 said:

With a lower the parf, it is actually more attractive to renew coe. Cause the amount forgone is very little. 
not sure what LTA is thinking. I foresee extra cost to renew coe past 10years in the future. 

Provided it's a pure petrol car. Hybrid or EV just simply too high maintenance once the battery lifespan is up, unless the new ones can take AAA rechargeable batteries hooked up in series. LOL

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1