Electric cars

Expertz

1 minute ago, Brass said:

They do.

Moreover their cars are sold in Australia, which has decent safety standards. (E.g. MG ZS, MG HS)

If they dont they will be screwed.

Its not 2010, but 2021 now. There is a major leap in safety and quality of Chinese cars.

How about those car model that is not export?

Not forgetting that the car shown above is likely for domestic market ONLY.

↡ Advertisement

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

How about those car model that is not export?

Not forgetting that the car shown above is likely for domestic market ONLY.

For the Wuling, safety should be dismal for it has no airbags.

However, we need to wait for people to crash them in real life first to see how it is in real life.

By the way, that Wuling has a max speed of 100km /h, and is very uncomfortable to drive at the higher end of its speed limit, so it would unlikely burst into flames, but the person might be crippled or even dead due to speed.

Most established Chinese companies do want to export their cars, and those who cannot or are domestics are failing companies which do not enter the radar of most Chinese, and are very unpopular.

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 1

55 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

https://www.byd.com/en/news/2020-03-30/BYD's-New-Blade-Battery-Set-to-Redefine-EV-Safety-Standards

Byd now have 3 car models selling in sg.

Bye e6, byd E3 and new byd e6.

The new byd e6 is using the new blade battery technology and also man 4 air bags and many safety features.

Yea if one doesn't mind a ~95hp motor hurling a ~2tonne body. 😅 

824397946_Screenshot2021-02-25at23_28_11.thumb.png.597c0e6054fef6ad3d9cb03e64b3334e.png

• Haha! 1

Supercharged

Commentary: Giving up petrol cars is a lot more difficult for parents

Owning a car is not just a superficial pursuit, but a convenience and, I dare say, a necessity for some. As a parent of three kids aged five and younger, I couldn’t agree more. Sending them to preschool and then picking them up – sometimes with short intervals between the drop-off and pick-ups, as well as various other activities – is our lived reality. 

There’s also the twice weekly drop-off and pick-up to and from the grandparents’ place – all the more significant since work-from-home started last year - giving us working professionals at least two quiet days a week to be productive at home.

Parents of young children will appreciate the complexity of the logistics involved. Coordinating and manoeuvring your kids’ schedules is almost a full-time job but thankfully one made easier by owning our own car. 

WHY NOT EV YET?

...For that price range, I can purchase a much more spacious seven-seater car – such as a Mazda CX-8, Mitsubishi Outlander, Toyota Prius Alpha Hybrid and a Peugeot 5008 – that is much better-suited to my family of seven. Looking at the announcements in the Budget speech, perhaps this infrastructure(i.e. charging points) will be available in the future. But for now, I am not risking my car stalling mid-journey with three crying kids in it.

ALTERNATIVES?

The next option is to take a private-hire vehicle. Parents will know that for passengers with children, the GrabFamily option only has provision for one child. What does someone like me with three kids do except carry along my own additional booster seats. Based on my family’s projected usage, that works out to a sizable increase per month of between S$200 to S$300. My total spend on ride-hailing services per month will thus make owning a car a rather economic proposition. So it is not just about the logistical challenges of moving the family out and about while lugging additional booster seats along with other packed necessities and more.

What would the alternatives be? Using public transport has its challenges for those in our situation. Even if we were brave enough to manage three young kids on our own in a crowded SMRT train or bus...Weighed against the convenience and comfort of hopping into my car, belting my kids safely up and dropping them off at their destination within a reasonably short time and with barely a drop of sweat falling from my brow, it is an easy choice." 

-dp--tp-car-lite-6.jpg

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/ev-electric-vehicle-grab-taxi-mrt-bus-owning-car-kids-14280466

• Praise 1

13 hours ago, kelaihoyin said:

Yea if one doesn't mind a ~95hp motor hurling a ~2tonne body. 😅 

824397946_Screenshot2021-02-25at23_28_11.thumb.png.597c0e6054fef6ad3d9cb03e64b3334e.png

Just launch the han here. The others r fugly

On 25 February, 2021 at 9:17 AM, Yewheng said:

That is current.. what if when there are more and more car uses it and many companies start to invest and invent way to make it cheaper? More drivers use it and bring the cost down? Possible?

Like when hp was invented, it was bulky and expensive and not many people could afford it, but look at cost of hp now and practically everyone has hp. So I feel when look at things, cannot just look at current, but should look at what potential this thing has , the cost itself will then depends on free market already.

Expensive now does not mean it will be expensive in say year 2040. So perhaps you should not straightaway pour cold water because of it is expensive fuel right now or have the thinking ai ya, so expensive.. so will not work one la.

Agreed, let more electric cars manufacturer come into the picture and let the show begins, we can't practically cut off normal car users and say lets go electric, the primarily source of infrastructure was still in infancy stage. there is still along way to go . . .

We see the new Korean Innovation Centre Near Bulim Drive under construction, the road has turned up a disaster with many road being cracked up and pot-holes, dusty and dirty and congested with heavy vehicles daily . . . lets not run-in, lets be patient and see what really happened next few months down the road...

• Praise 1

On 25 February, 2021 at 1:07 PM, Spurman said:

Relax. Everyone has a diff outlook views on elect cars.

Someone pointed out handphone as an example. 

Kinda correct in this sense. Tbh we need to keep an open mind and view of upcoming innovations n changes.

Going electric is definately the norm liao.

All govt in the world going that direction.

Tiny sg also ll need to go that.

I am sure in yrs down the road prices of ev cars will be cheaper n cheaper.

Only question will it be cheap in sg nia. Hee.

How cheap can Electric / Hybrid can we be ? we ( Sillyporeans ) who has nothing, no water, no natural resources no nothing ) can still survive, i will take the notion of an electric car will be X dollar less COE, if X dollar of a car plus Y COE then it will be another factor to consider, ( Y dollar is the culprit & liability ) as of now I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps 3 yrs down the road, thing wld be clearer  . . . let me enjoy my current ride to the fullest [drivingcar]

EV is better for environment ?

First thing you do is more mining and deforestation.

If palm is bad, wait till you see nickel mining. [laugh]

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/climatechange/tesla-indonesia-electric-vehicles-nickel-mining-environment-14256318

Indonesia is poised for EV riches as Tesla circles, but a nickel rush could hurt the environment 

Nickel is seen as a replacement battery component for cobalt, which is more expensive and poses human rights issues due to it being mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

"I'd just like to re-emphasise, any mining companies out there, please mine more nickel. Wherever you are in the world, please mine more nickel," Tesla CEO Elon Musk said during a Tesla quarterly conference call in July last year.

• Praise 3

Supercharged

But current estimates suggest battery prices may fall to around US$100 per kWh in the next few years, noted Dr Theseira, who heads the Master of Management (Urban Transportation) Programme at SUSS.

Bloomberg reported last December that the average price per kWh was at US$137 (S$182), he noted. In 2011, the cost of an automotive lithium-ion battery pack was about S$1,240 per kWh.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/electric-vehicle-ev-adoption-budget-2021-battery-charging-14300510

So that that's a cost reduction of USD37(i.e. SGD49.30) per kWh in a few years time.

Example :

Hyundai Kona Electric has 64kWh battery. Then we can expect its OMV to reduce by 64 x $49.3 = $3,155 in a few years time.

Does that sound right?

Twincharged

This YouTube video is posted 3 weeks back. So many electric cars that is now not ulitilising on the road. Government want go electric cars by 2040 right? Maybe government could purchase some from it and give it to government agencies, home team, arm forces and etc to use and or replace ageing fleet of petrol cars? 

Supercharged
40 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

This YouTube video is posted 3 weeks back. So many electric cars that is now not ulitilising on the road. Government want go electric cars by 2040 right? Maybe government could purchase some from it and give it to government agencies, home team, arm forces and etc to use and or replace ageing fleet of petrol cars? 

walk the talk right!! [laugh]

do you think they will? no tesla no talk ok...[laugh]

Twincharged
21 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

walk the talk right!! [laugh]

do you think they will? no tesla no talk ok...[laugh]

Defence minister just announced that saf will go into electric vehicles. So now let's wait for home team whether will follow suit or not..

Supercharged
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Defence minister just announced that saf will go into electric vehicles. So now let's wait for home team whether will follow suit or not..

so they will reject the Sub that was ordered and run on diesel? [laugh]

clearly the left hand not talking to the right hand....all the Gov machinery should be working towards this target even before the announcement or this year. Should be in the blueprint a few years back...

shows the announcement is more of a thot after plan to raise $$ than all the excuses that they are giving out now...you know, I know, we all know ba...[laugh]

Edited by Spidey10
  • Haha! 1

On 2/22/2021 at 9:09 PM, minion said:

KL has. Have seen it in a few places in kl. Not an issue if you are driving to kl fully charged. 

It is an issue for avid road trippers who drive around Malaysia sometimes in rural areas.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:50 AM, Vinceng said:

When all cars go electric in Singapore, there will be a special tarrif (electric car tax). Trust me on this. Eventually, it costs the same to fully charge an electric car as pumping a full tank of petrol.

Like how CNG owners were screwed anally.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1