Electrical wiring in car - battery drain

Calvinus

After I installed my car alarm and in-car camera, I have been experiencing battery drain... basically from time to time if I do not drive the car for a few days, my battery may end up being fully discharged. This has happened a few times in the last few months already.

Initially, I thought it was a battery issue but after having it checked at autobacs and also with a battery test device that I bought, I found the battery to still be working fine. I also thought it was because I seldom drive but recently I have been driving alot more and the situation still remains.

I am now suspecting that the mechanic who connected the equipment to my car did not do a good job and had resulted in something being shorted inside thereby causing the drain.

Is there any recommended workshop who is good with these things and can check out the connections done to my car, maybe with a multimeter to figure out if something is draining my battery away unnecessarily?

↡ Advertisement

Car alarm won't drain your car battery till flat.

Unless your DVR is 24 x 7 "ON" and connected to your car battery directly or via fuse box then it's possible drain your said car battery till flat.

If you want 24 x 7 DVR on the play mode, then an separate battery is recommended.

Actually I have a DVR which is 24/7 on "On". But during the last battery drain incident, it was actually disconnected for a couple of days and I drove up to Melacca and back down before battery drained. So in theory, the battery should have been adequately charged during the trip...

Any workshops you would recommend to take a look at this for me?

Your DVR on for 24/7 of course will drain the batt. Unless you get a power pack and have the DVR connected directly which will not affect your car batt. And this powerpack can be recharged via a 12A in-car charger. I think one of the sponsors got sell. Just search the sponsors postings.

1st Gear

Since your DVR doesn't seem to be the culprit,

you can self check if it is indeed the car alarm sucking your batt dry.

If possible, disable the alarm and disconnect it from power(s).

Make sure car will still be able to run with alarm disengaged, if not WS has to do it for you, just for temporary.

Also off your DVR from 24/7 mode, and see if the batt still drain up.

If not any more, then most probably the car alarm somehow caused the drain.

If yes, then check what's wrong with the alarm, either itself or its wiring.

As other bro pointed out, better to have separate battery to power DVR if you intend to run it 24/7.

Cheers.

Neutral Newbie

After I installed my car alarm and in-car camera, I have been experiencing battery drain... basically from time to time if I do not drive the car for a few days, my battery may end up being fully discharged. This has happened a few times in the last few months already.

Initially, I thought it was a battery issue but after having it checked at autobacs and also with a battery test device that I bought, I found the battery to still be working fine. I also thought it was because I seldom drive but recently I have been driving alot more and the situation still remains.

I am now suspecting that the mechanic who connected the equipment to my car did not do a good job and had resulted in something being shorted inside thereby causing the drain.

Is there any recommended workshop who is good with these things and can check out the connections done to my car, maybe with a multimeter to figure out if something is draining my battery away unnecessarily?

I experienced this problem after installing the new DVD & reverse camera & had my car battery run flat every 3-4wks. Luckily had the 3yr battery warranty which has not expired. Just imagine, within a span of 3 mths, i had to change new batteries 2 times.

Going back to the installer also does hasten the rectification, cause needed several weeks to isolate the problem of power drainage even though the culprit points to the new installations.

Eventually, decided to go to another workshop to diagnose & solve the wiring problem. :D Of course was S$100 poorer but fully satisfied the problem solved. :D:D

pls pm me should you need further details...

cheers

Hi all,

Couldn't start a new post so i'm trying my luck here.

You guy ever encounter this problem?

When your aircon compressor cuts in the speedometer lighting, Aircon LCD Panel, Headlights will suddenly dim off/flicker and comes back on again?

The headunit will also restart.

I've check the battery and alternator both are working fine.

BTW i'm driving a 2005 Honda Odyssey

Hi all,

Couldn't start a new post so i'm trying my luck here.

You guy ever encounter this problem?

When your aircon compressor cuts in the speedometer lighting, Aircon LCD Panel, Headlights will suddenly dim off/flicker and comes back on again?

The headunit will also restart.

I've check the battery and alternator both are working fine.

BTW i'm driving a 2005 Honda Odyssey

Chk yr ac compressor relay.

try foon audio. very crowded on weekends.

Sorry, i got car cam from qoo10 and its powered by micro usb. Is it possible to wire it to my car fuse?

Possible, they will link it to under the dashboard.

think it will cost about 40-50 bucks plus minus. but does yours come with the ciggy plug head? if no i think its gonna cost more

With sufficient knowledge on auto electrical and with the right tool, any mech can easily detect the drain.

post-272-1365906701_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh
↡ Advertisement