Scientists make a great discovery but I catch no ball

Ahtong

Turbocharged

Haha! Maybe he got too excited!

Physics is so sexy these days with

bosom, hardons, premature dunno what . . . !

:D

Elisabeth RieperCentre for Quantum Technologies (Singapore! Yes she's in Singapore!!) PhD Student

Elizabeth_Reiper.png

Dr. Amy MainzerJet Propulsion LaboratorySteam ah!!! :D

Mainzer-4-480x280.jpg

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

how many years did it take for the world to recognise that the earth is actually round and not flat, after someone proposed his finding? [grin]

Sumerian texts (circa 4000 BCE, or even earlier) have made references to spherical planets and stars, including bronze-cast pictures of the solar system.

Some of these artifacts and cuneiform tablets are kept in the Vatican library.

They already knew about precession, which results from the 23.5 degree tilt of the earth, thus the rotation of the 12 star constellations, as seen from the northern hemisphere night sky, every 3,600 years ..... thus giving rise to our astrological sequence of 12 star constellations.

The Book of Enki has the names of the planets in the solar system, named from outside-in (i.e., Mercury last), in the same sequence as one would see, approaching Tiamat (planet Earth).

Mankind just retrogressed to medieval European concepts 5,000 years after the Sumerians.

When the Earth became flat and the center of the solar system.

Sad ...

Edited by Timbuktu

Turbocharged

Elisabeth RieperCentre for Quantum Technologies (Singapore! Yes she's in Singapore!!) PhD Student

I don't mind listening to these 2 going through their particular research field.. both the content and the person should be interesting..

fark! the only propulsion happening as far as Porker is concerned, is inside her.

0029136001334420725.gif

Turbocharged

fark! the only propulsion happening as far as Porker is concerned, is inside her.

you forgot to highlight the "JET" part... [laugh] [laugh]

Turbocharged

0029136001334420725.gif

post-4638-1341998054.gif

You know me the best Ah SIAM post-4638-1341998084.gif

I wouldn't call the discovery premature by any means. 2 independent experiments have confirmed the existence of a previously unknown particle fitting the criteria for the Higgs Boson. That a particle exists (and it's not just a spurious signal) has been confirmed to a 5-sigma level, meaning the probability that it's just a random fluctuation is much less than one-in-a-million. That the particle is a boson is definite, as it meets the criteria for being a boson, in that it has integer spin. Its mass is as predicted, about 125 GeV, which is about 133 proton masses.

It's definite that it's a new boson, and that it's massive. It's very probable that it's the Higgs Boson as predicted by Peter Higgs (and 5 others). However, if it's not the Higgs Boson, it'll be an even more sensational discovery as it means the Standard Model has to be revised in some major fashion.

At any rate, renowned physicists like Stephen Hawking are already conceding the discovery - in Hawking's case, he grudgingly paid up on a bet he'd made with someone else.

I thought you are medical too. Unless u r FRCR :huh:

(edited)

not necessary, it might work both way.

maybe..... hope the scientists can shed some light

not suaning you.....

but as things work both ways, maybe nations sent astronauts to space is also not to explore space also.... partially to look for god

chinese or english god

Edited by Ngck

They said if the person believes a watch, or a simple tooth brush, came into the world through evolution, he can believes almost anything? [confused]

those are not living things... nothing to do with evolution

(edited)

I thought you are medical too. Unless u r FRCR :huh:

Not a Radio, but I was interested in doing that for a while. Was looking at a few non-clinical specs.

Anyway, just interested in Physics. Was quite good (Olympiad, S-paper, etc.) in school lah. My hobbies all physics and math based, e.g. electronics. Was admitted to Caltech for EE, but decided to do med here instead.

Edited by Turboflat4

those are not living things... nothing to do with evolution

Or these things, much simpler than the complex human body, came into the world on their own from no where, not even needing a designer or manufacturer? :o

Turbocharged

maybe..... hope the scientists can shed some light

not suaning you.....

but as things work both ways, maybe nations sent astronauts to space is also not to explore space also.... partially to look for god

chinese or english god

what is there to suan. this is everyone wish also mah. to explore the space.

what is there to suan. this is everyone wish also mah. to explore the space.

the key question is explore for what?

what do they now that we dun?

Or these things, much simpler than the complex human body, came into the world on their own from no where, not even needing a designer or manufacturer? :o

sorry i cannot catch your joke... if there was one

(edited)

Not a Radio, but I was interested in doing that for a while. Was looking at a few non-clinical specs.

Anyway, just interested in Physics. Was quite good (Olympiad, S-paper, etc.) in school lah. My hobbies all physics and math based, e.g. electronics. Was admitted to Caltech for EE, but decided to do med here instead.

Lol, no regrets? [laugh]

In JC, my physics can scrape a B very happy liao. Haha only the real A level then can get A.

But i can appreciate the beauty of the equations and the logic.

Recently caught Brian cox's "wonders of the Universe", somehow i don't know why some of these concepts weren't taught in Sec school or JC. Physics in astronomy is really interesting! [nod]

Edited by Lala81

Lol, no regrets? [laugh]

In JC, my physics can scrape a B very happy liao. Haha only the real A level then can get A.

Recently caught Brian cox's "wonders of the Universe", somehow i don't know why some of these concepts weren't taught in Sec school or JC. Physics in astronomy is really interesting! [nod]

Plenty of regrets. Why do you think I'm in non-clinical? Never liked the life that much. But what to do, a parent's wishes have to be respected. [:)]

Turbocharged

Lol, no regrets? [laugh]

Astrophysics is very very interesting... [nod] Back in uni days, i spend part of my free time reading astrophysics related article on Wikipedia.. ^_^ and learnt quite abit..

↡ Advertisement