How much to replace shock absorbers?

SLSAMG88

I checked mine before

I checked front absorber only from stockist.

$135 per piece (orignal Mazda) + labour $30 per piece to install.

Think rear slightly cheaper.

can share where you install pls? Antosaver quoted me $180 for labour for 4 pieces.
↡ Advertisement

can share where you install pls? Antosaver quoted me $180 for labour for 4 pieces.

I never install. I checked price before. The WS at Eunos.

Sigh... i sent my car to autosaver kb for major servicing in jan. Car was given a clean bill of health, including the shocks. However, i feel that driving it feels like a boat. Therefore, i went to autosaver changi today to check. The guy there says the gap between the wheel and the car body on the driver side is smaller than passenger side, my car is slightly tilting with the driver side a bit lower. The reason was due to spoilt shocks. I then went to dynamic mech to seek second opinion. The mechanic there said my shicks are definitely ok. Dont need to change.

So to change or not? Any views?

Mine is a second hand car and therefore i am not sure when was the last change.

Sigh... i sent my car to autosaver kb for major servicing in jan. Car was given a clean bill of health, including the shocks. However, i feel that driving it feels like a boat. Therefore, i went to autosaver changi today to check. The guy there says the gap between the wheel and the car body on the driver side is smaller than passenger side, my car is slightly tilting with the driver side a bit lower. The reason was due to spoilt shocks. I then went to dynamic mech to seek second opinion. The mechanic there said my shicks are definitely ok. Dont need to change.

How many years is your ride? Many would have said go to a few more WS to check first before deciding.

Yes, its time consuming.

Depends on how long more before u scrap yr car.

Use a measuring tape or some object (handphone, bottle, shoe) to measure the gap between the wheel and your car body on both sides. You will be able to tell for yourself whether the car is really tilting to one side. If your car is tilting then probably one of the shock absorbers is spoiled. Shock absorbers can fail even if you don't see any oil leaking on the outside.

Supercharged

whats your total mileage so far? If its 100k KM and more, then likely shocks are due to change.

how much diff is the gap on both sides?

it's actually natural for the driver side to be abit lower coz driver side will always have the driver sitting in the car. So over time, the driver side will be lower. It may not mean shock is spoilt. I used to drive a car that was like this, and i just ignore it.

Anyway, if u wan a piece of mind, just change the 2 front shocks. It's not expensive. If you buy shocks from stockist and pay for WS labour, probably cost less than $300 total. Once you change, the new shocks will last u for a long time.

small thing lah.......

Since your car is bought as 2nd hand, you should be more worried about those expensive wear and tear like the gearbox and gasket oil leak

• Praise 1

Thanks all for your comments. My car is left with less than 1.5 years. Mileage is 112km if this mileage can be trusted. Mine is a jdm camry and i think it should cost at least 400 plus for the front shocks. DM said they dont think it is correct to use gap distance as a test method. They conducted a manual bounce test for all 4 corners and said ok.

Think i will go ask one more ws.

• Praise 1

Just to share some info.

4 x Original Honda shock, top mount, mount bearing, rubber stopper = $500 ish from stockist.

Labour plus alignment in JB = RM180

Total $570+- for a complete shock replacement.

Ride is now so much more comfortable.

Edited by Greddy82

Do any of you have any ws in Spore to recommend replacing the absorber (labour only)?

Cheers

u may ask absolute kinetics along macpherson. i think the charges r reasonable n Jake is very willing to share his knowledge abou alignment.

Just to share some info.

4 x Original Honda shock, top mount, mount bearing, rubber stopper = $500 ish from stockist.

Any WS at JB to recommend?

Safe and good? How is the procedure? Go in, tell them what you want, discuss the pricing, leave the car and go for makan?

• Praise 1

Any WS at JB to recommend?

Safe and good? How is the procedure? Go in, tell them what you want, discuss the pricing, leave the car and go for makan?

I went to Hawk Tyre at Southern City.

Came in ask for quote, leave the car and then walk around. Came back few hours later with car completed.

The place has Giant in the same building can do your shopping also.

Hope it helps.

May I know how much it cost if replace the absorbers alone without the balancing? Mine front absorber kaput already. Want to change. Thks

I went to Hawk Tyre at Southern City.

Came in ask for quote, leave the car and then walk around. Came back few hours later with car completed.

The place has Giant in the same building can do your shopping also.

Hope it helps.

• Praise 1

May I know how much it cost if replace the absorbers alone without the balancing? Mine front absorber kaput already. Want to change. Thks

It is advisable to do a alignment when you changed the absorber.

I am not so sure about the individual pricing but I would assume it would cost between 100-130 rm.

Edited by Greddy82

Just to share some info.

bro, which stockist did you buy the replacement parts from?