How much to replace shock absorbers?

SLSAMG88

just ride it out. :D

My ride left 19 months before coe expire. Front mountings got crack, absorbers no leak, springs look ok except plastic wrap came off, going over humps slightly rocking and no abnormal sound or vibration. Pray that can last!

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

For Hyundai

absorber Mando brand $75

Original Mounting $39

Original stopper $15

Labour was $40 per wheel.

Difficult to diy as mine need a spring compressor tool.

I called up a workshop in toh Guan and one in aljunied. Both quoted about the same price for labour only.

Edited by Biting
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Front shock absorbers need to change together with stopper, mounting and bearing.

How abt rear shock absorbers? Anything else to change?

My ride left 19 months before coe expire. Front mountings got crack, absorbers no leak, springs look ok except plastic wrap came off, going over humps slightly rocking and no abnormal sound or vibration. Pray that can last!

just change mounting.........i did before. You dont change there will be tick tock sound when going over humps and your tyres will wear out unevenly even for a few month of driving. Not ex....mine is made in malaysia car...the mounting cost less than 100sgd after rate conversion at proton workshop. Not sure how much for kia though!

Hypersonic

I bought these when changing front shock absorbers. Workshop said best to change together.

post-1829-0-10855200-1499340242_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I bought these when changing front shock absorbers. Workshop said best to change together.

attachicon.gifIMG_7823.JPG

mine from the stockist also recommended to get the rubber thingy but it was all in a box. I didn't see the item itself. My father just passed to mechanic to gao tim.

just change mounting.........i did before. You dont change there will be tick tock sound when going over humps and your tyres will wear out unevenly even for a few month of driving. Not ex....mine is made in malaysia car...the mounting cost less than 100sgd after rate conversion at proton workshop. Not sure how much for kia though!

those are small points.

But with shock absorbers that aren't working well, your tyres may be lagging behind in contact with the ground surface to maximise contact during braking on less than ideal surfaces. 

U will be really penny wise pound foolish to ignore this fact. 

• Praise 1

(edited)

mine from the stockist also recommended to get the rubber thingy but it was all in a box. I didn't see the item itself. My father just passed to mechanic to gao tim.

those are small points.

But with shock absorbers that aren't working well, your tyres may be lagging behind in contact with the ground surface to maximise contact during braking on less than ideal surfaces.

U will be really penny wise pound foolish to ignore this fact.

the suspension was checked by proton mechanics....they even took out the suspension and springs to check for leaks. They found none but found the mounting damaged. They told me my suspension was okay.....just need to change the mounting.......been 3 yrs oredy since i changed them and my tyres are wearing down evenly.

Ps. Need to change in pairs. I changed the front pairs!

attachicon.gifIMG_7823.JPG

SG workshop sure say change together.....thats how they survive! Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

the suspension was checked by proton mechanics....they even took out the suspension and springs to check for leaks. They found none but found the mounting damaged. They told me my suspension was okay.....just need to change the mounting.......been 3 yrs oredy since i changed them and my tyres are wearing down evenly.

i changed all 4 but i traded in the car like 1 year + later. So not so hua lol.

But the labour cost for changing 2 vs 4 in SG is not much.

It's easier to detect the shock absorber failed cos it will be leaking fluid which the mechanics can see easily.

The rubber things, usually get chui after sometime, so the mechanics/stockists will rec to change at the same time. cos labour cost to take out again is the same.

Edited by Lala81

(edited)

i changed all 4 but i traded in the car like 1 year + later. So not so hua lol.

But the labour cost for changing 2 vs 4 in SG is not much.

It's easier to detect the shock absorber failed cos it will be leaking fluid which the mechanics can see easily.

The rubber things, usually get chui after sometime, so the mechanics/stockists will rec to change at the same time. cos labour cost to take out again is the same.

SG workshop would sure tell you to change everything if they have their way......lol....serious! Aircon spoil.....change pump......radiator fan not working..... change the radiator ......thats how they cover their high rental.

I even asked the proton mech if he was sure that i only need to change the mounting.....he said yes....my suspension still okay and till now they are still working fine.

I kana from a well-known ws before. My clutch pedal was squeeking and the se told me my dont-know-what pump need to change....cost $400. I went home took some grease and slapped it into one of the linkage connecting the clutch to a shaft which holds a spring. Squeek disappeared and no damaged to my pocket.

Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

SG workshop would sure tell you to change everything if they have their way......lol....serious! Aircon spoil.....change pump......radiator fan not working..... change the radiator ......thats how they cover their high rental.

I even asked the proton mech if he was sure that i only need to change the mounting.....he said yes....my suspension still okay and they are still working fine.

There's a line in the service industry.

"The customer will appreciate you trying to save him money less than he will scold you if he needs to come back again a 2nd time"

It's a hard truth.

Hypersonic
(edited)

SG workshop sure say change together.....thats how they survive!

Actually I trust my workshop. Know him for over 10 years.

My shock absorbers never changed before for almost 10 years. So I guess it's good to change all together since I am renewing COE.

For my case, it make sense. Imagine I purely changed the shock absorber and don't change other parts. What if the mounting got problem later on? Means I have to pay extra labor charge to take out the shock absorber to change the mounting. Still have to do wheel alignment again since shock absorbers taken out.

It's similar to why people changed water pump together with timing belt even if pump not spoilt.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 2

There's a line in the service industry.

"The customer will appreciate you trying to save him money less than he will scold you if he needs to come back again a 2nd time"

It's a hard truth.

luckily i have mechanical background.....so usually can tell if a mech is trying to make a quick buck or two. I really dont mind going to a ws twice....sometime problems cant be diagnosed within one visit but we as motorists should know when we are taken for a ride and thats when some mechanical background comes in handy.

Hypersonic

My shock absorbers never changed before for almost 10 years. So I guess it's good to change all together since I am renewing COE.

that's very long. mine 5 year one side already leaking liao.

The WS i did it at give u back the shock absorber so u can really see it's chui lol.

• Praise 1

10 yrs......i think need to change liao!
  • Praise 1