The Perfect Storm of the Stock Market II

15 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Young or old, you don't want to get there (getting bankrupt). There will be tons of restrictions on what you can do in future.

Borrowing against "future cash flow"? How secure is that cash flow? Is it from your pay, dividends, inheritance, sale of property? Even CPF payout at 55 can be changed at the stroke of a pen.

Just be extremely careful about leveraging. 

Talking about bankrupcy. Back in 2008 when i bought my landed house there was a property agent who became quite “rich” during the run up from 2004.  So he bought a few landed houses to redevelop and sell.  He was his own developer, owner and agent rolled into one.

I remembered very clearly telling my wife, that this “fella” will get caught if the market goes against him especially since the financial markets at that point was unstable.

I would pass by one of the houses undergoing recon work  almost daily on the way home  Weeks turns to months and months into years.  

Unfortunately but true enough, that house remained half built under receivership until today since 2008.  The huge advert of the agent with his face name and number hung across the front gate of the house was remained there for quite a while although construction came to a standstill.   I was later told by neighbors that he went bankrupt when the GFC hit him as he leveraged to buy 3 houses to develop and sell at the same time.

another one bites the dust.   Too Greedy too aggressive. We have seen one too many of such cases.   Individuals and Businesses alike.    

Same morals

Dont bite off more than you can chew. Dont wear a hat too big.

dont slap oneself to look fat.  Good Good Friday

😃😃

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged
20 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

Isn't this due to leverage? You can gear up like that Mr Heng in ST to play.

Please don't follow that Mr Heng in ST.

Reminds me of that advertisement.

我答應你這是我最後一把,我一定會通通還給你的!

Never, never swim around naked, especially when you don't know when the tide will turn against you.

Germany can't possibly be the champion of World Cup all  the time.

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Getting the body is one thing, maintaining is another.... wahahaha....

Well said...done can easily “sway” away from the lucky path...

Property usually lack behind market 3 to 6mths. You can earn from stock then shift it to property if you want. 

A recession typically involves bankruptcy, flushing out of bad debts and players. So far nothing much happen yet. Therefore I havent enter the market. The recent rally do look like a bear market rally to me, if I'm right there is opportunity in the near future. If I'm wrong, mean economy may not be so gloomy not a bad thing to me too.

Health should always be number one priority. So stay healthy guys and all the best. 

• Praise 8

48 minutes ago, Bacteria83 said:

Property usually lack behind market 3 to 6mths. You can earn from stock then shift it to property if you want. 

A recession typically involves bankruptcy, flushing out of bad debts and players. So far nothing much happen yet. Therefore I havent enter the market. The recent rally do look like a bear market rally to me, if I'm right there is opportunity in the near future. If I'm wrong, mean economy may not be so gloomy not a bad thing to me too.

Health should always be number one priority. So stay healthy guys and all the best. 

i started buying abit when it hit 2300, when some people say its 'once every 10year' event

no interest to buy at all when sti above 2500,  looksee looksee only

like i said play shares is small money nia

big money in properties 😅

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

The money you won ..... was  from someone who dropped their pants 😁

Not correct
people have a misconception that the stock market or property market is a zero sum game.   it isnt.  Its all valuation.

It is zero sum only if you factor in opportunity costs.  But if you do that, it is no longer a true reflection of the absolute as nobody will ever win and nobody will ever lose.  

11 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

no choice lah, rule of the game - some one win, some one lose

Turbocharged
42 minutes ago, Bacteria83 said:

I surmise that there are many gurus here who are smart scalpers or contrarians.

These players/investors are people who usually survive and thrive around economic cycles. Why? - because they mostly comes from the school of hard knocks and remembers deeply  what dangerous herd instincts is all about. 

That's why the market will weeds out shallow crowd followers through brutal means; to re-balance and to inflex moves in the cyclical pattern inevitably. During this CB, perhaps those who are quite free can perhaps read up or refresh some of the great classics from gurus who survived n thrived from the Great Depression, Black Monday 1987, Sep 11 2001 and GFC of 2007/8 whatever suits them.

What is clear is that the economic and social devastation from this Covid-19 pandemic is far worse than any of the crisis mentioned above. It's unprecedented and unparalleled. Yet however pessimistic, given that many of the global top scientific and medical community are putting super-normal amount of resources to find a solution asap, there is always hope. The global leaders/politicians hopefully can work out some financial arrangements to stabilise things(?)

Sobering thoughts and reflections needed on what lie ahead.....

[btw I am learning how to stay cool and not do anything with my itchy fingers everyday] :))

Carpe diem

• Praise 6

2 hours ago, Angcheek said:

Let me use a simplest example to show that it isnt necessarily the case.

A bought at $3 sold at $4 to B (A made money)

B bought at $4 and sold at $5 to C (B made money)

C bought at $5 and now market trading $6 , C has not sold yet

in the above nobody lost anything.

likewise on the downside, everyone may lose. 

Its all valuation.  

You’re welcome.

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Let me use a simplest example to show that it isnt necessarily the case.

A bought at $3 sold at $4 to B (A made money)

B bought at $4 and sold at $5 to C (B made money)

C bought at $5 and now market trading $6 , C has not sold yet

in the above nobody lost anything.

likewise on the downside, everyone may lose. 

Its all valuation.  

You’re welcome.

Ok make sense 😁 pass the baton to others 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Angcheek said:

sti cheong from 1500-2000-2500 

where got people lose money ... lol

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

in my chat room we termed as Musical Chair.. enjoy when the music still playing.. once stopped make sure you got a chair to sit..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

26 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

in my chat room we termed as Musical Chair.. enjoy when the music still playing.. once stopped make sure you got a chair to sit..

Yah, and as long as the music doesnt stop, who loses?

muayhahaha

• Praise 2

16 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

The tango. "You made a mistake, you just tango on".

Incidently, the Tango was the dance i did for my wedding. 

9 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

Must be atas wedding.👍👍👍

🙏 🙏

I will only say that it was held at a UNESCO world heritage site and i made sure cigars were aplenty. 

Cheers

Edited by Throttle2
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1