Looks like there needs to be another Category of COE...

Chewbacca

Supercharged

If the users are prepared to pay all the additional admin cost etc associated with these "niche" scheme, why not? The question is are they prepared to pay? [:)]

If the savings from current high COE prices can more than cover these extra costs / charges, maybe some users may bite?

in theory yes.

but in practicality, no due to the following reasons:

1) you won't be able to design a system that makes everyone happy (just like earlier on, opc keep asking for more time open up to them to drive, normal plate car owner not happy. then opc owner still have to cheat on opc coupon)

2) it is not so easy to apportion the costs of customing such system to each group (example, say 1 staff cost timing is charged to him administering 3 category. he may spend more time administrating category a, than b & c. how to measure the time accurately he spend on category a, b & c.)

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

let's put it very bluntly from a policy perspective: it is the government's job to ensure people get to wherever they need to get to. so if they don't come up with a transport system that works effectively and efficiently, it's their fault.

i am afraid our government will not think this way. like the case of housing, government has never really think in such way they must provide housing to everyone. if not i would have already gotten a hdb alreayd [laugh] . they think that some people can afford to find housing on their own accord. in the case of the car, the government will also expect some of the residents to find a way of their own to transport themselves from one place to another.

Or another scheme or something.

Some sort where the owner of a car is limited to 1 day user per week (or similar, maybe 52 days a year). Extremely restricted usage at much lower COE prices. Of course, there's no way to regulate it right now. Only chance is probably GPS tracking....

I really don't mind, at this point......I don't need to use a car a lot of times......just sometimes, when I go back to JB

I guess Cat A car will be something like 63K next bidding.

Sigh......

There is aleady such a cat for you, it's called cat R. As in car rental.

Don't ask for nonsense cause in those who kpkb family needs la, work use la, disabled members la, disadvantaged la have even better excuse than you.

There is aleady such a cat for you, it's called cat R. As in car rental.

Don't ask for nonsense cause in those who kpkb family needs la, work use la, disabled members la, disadvantaged la have even better excuse than you.

True.

If everyone think like TS die liao..

Drive parents/wife/children to hospital still can understand but drive gf to Pontian as reason for a new class of coe is damn pathetic.. geez.

in theory yes.

but in practicality, no due to the following reasons:

1) you won't be able to design a system that makes everyone happy (just like earlier on, opc keep asking for more time open up to them to drive, normal plate car owner not happy. then opc owner still have to cheat on opc coupon)

2) it is not so easy to apportion the costs of customing such system to each group (example, say 1 staff cost timing is charged to him administering 3 category. he may spend more time administrating category a, than b & c. how to measure the time accurately he spend on category a, b & c.)

Agreed.

The matters concerning apportion of costs may be dealt with using approximate numbers since there is no real need to be too precise. It's good to avoid having an extremely high number of sub-categories. Having a separate cat for fetching GF to MY is cutting it way too fine.

let's put it very bluntly from a policy perspective: it is the government's job to ensure people get to wherever they need to get to. so if they don't come up with a transport system that works effectively and efficiently, it's their fault.

it is not the government's duty to fulfill your aspirations of owning a car. so they shouldn't bother to design a scheme just to lower the barriers of entry to car ownership. however, you may be unhappy and don't vote for them the next time round. then it'll be beyond policy, it'll become politics.

politically, the government has tried several things to appease the populace. most measures are mild, such as deferring the correction by one year so as to cushion the impact of a massive COE cut. they shouldn't have to do that by reason, but people don't buy cars by reason. they then need to deal with the unintended consequence of inflation brought about by increasing transport costs.

Well said. Until now, a lot of people still cannot drill into their mind that not everyone can have their own car in Singapore.

from a policy and political perspective, one of the biggest policy objectives of any govt must be price stability. you can have incremental, acceptable inflation, but if prices go up 100% - 200% not in a lifetime, not in half a lifetime, but in a matter of 10 years, then the govt has screwed up.

granted cars (and housing) are not everyday item, but they are the main big ticket items people buy.

granted cars are not needs but wants, but dont belittle wants. how is a country going to progress if nobody wants anything? how are young people going to be driven (no pun intended) if wants are forever so out of reach?

i really feel sorry for the 20 somethings these days actually...

↡ Advertisement