List all authorised sublet flats in a public database online

Unltd

From Andrew Kok-Kin Lim

Jul 16

I refer to the letter "Can HDB step up enforcement?" (July 13). The Housing and Development Board would have the means if it lists all authorised sublet flats in a public database online.

A S$500 reward should be given to anyone who reports unauthorised subletting, to be paid by the offender. The HDB should also increase the penalty for first-time offenders to the equivalent of six months of rent.

If it cannot do this, it can outsource the job.

This was first posted as a comment at www.todayonline.com/voices

Quote from today online, so what do you guys think?

↡ Advertisement

I felt that it is too much policing that making people suspecting each other, create a hostile atmosphere among the neighbours :huh:

From Andrew Kok-Kin Lim

Jul 16

I refer to the letter "Can HDB step up enforcement?" (July 13). The Housing and Development Board would have the means if it lists all authorised sublet flats in a public database online.

A S$500 reward should be given to anyone who reports unauthorised subletting, to be paid by the offender. The HDB should also increase the penalty for first-time offenders to the equivalent of six months of rent.

I felt that it is too much policing that making people suspecting each other, create a hostile atmosphere among the neighbours :huh:

Yup, but on the other hand, it is open and transparent. But I think there has to be a limit in info posted. What if name nric, everything all out.... [laugh]

(edited)

i feel the reward should be staggered:

$50) Complaint only, no submit evidence, leading to hdb people doing all the evidence gathering but found out to be true

$200) Complaint + simple GPGT [:p], end up HDB do 80% evidence gathering, and found out to be true

$500) Complaint + extensive GPGT + one day GVGT, end up HDB do 50% evidence gathering, and found out to be true

$5000) Complaint + extensive one month GVGT [sly], end up HDB do 10% evidence gathering, and found out to be true

Edited by Mustank

From Andrew Kok-Kin Lim

Jul 16

I think list out online and accessible to the public is good enough deterrent....

$50) Complaint only, no submit evidence, leading to hdb people doing all the evidence gathering but found out to be true

$200) Complaint + simple GPGT [:p], end up HDB do 80% evidence gathering, and found out to be true

$500) Complaint + extensive GPGT + one day GVGT, end up HDB do 50% evidence gathering, and found out to be true

$5000) Complaint + extensive one month GVGT [sly], end up HDB do 10% evidence gathering, and found out to be true

siao liao, to monitor so many things, you want the hdb conservancy fee to increase double or triple ? :huh:

siao liao, to monitor so many things, you want the hdb conservancy fee to increase double or triple ? :huh:

They will get the returns when flat confiscated or when they find the owner ma. Nothing to do with conservancy fee.

Wow ! we should all go work as full time complaintner and make big bucks ! One month submit 10 complaint , can get 50K ! [:p]

From Andrew Kok-Kin Lim

Jul 16

how to ensure there is no abuse?

i call hdb.. and quote them all the flats in my block?? then hope heng heng kena 1 illegal sublet?

i call hdb.. and quote them all the flats in my block?? then hope heng heng kena 1 illegal sublet?

They will pay you 50bucks for the 1 illegal sublet case . Fine you 500 buck x 99 other false reporting case , which amount to 49,500 dollars !

From Andrew Kok-Kin Lim

Jul 16

This comes timely as the government is calling for active participation. Imagine the power of the community in weeding out these abusers. Overall win-win for all.

But the monetary reward may be subjected to abuse/exploit lah.

No need for online list. HDB can just fix a "signboard" at the entrance of each flat with subletting. "Signboard" costs charged to the flat.

But then, some people will fix an illegal "signboard" to bluff those KPO.

Aiyah, so troublesome, just let the authorities do their job. Otherwise, Singapore "fines city" become "complain/sabo city".

So many things to complain/sabo : speeding, roadhogging, carpark coupon, illegal subletting, etc.... [bigcry]

True also, hard to ensure the calls are legitimate. Maybe submission must include personal details to deter?

And have the boy who cries wolf blacklist for whistle blowers.

(edited)

yes, we should ensure that people dont flout the rules easily or at all.

otherwise why bother having the rule in the first place.

the fine must be big eg. $10k upwards if caught in non-accordance.

in serious case, HDB can confiscate the unit.

for the whistleblowers, name and NRIC must be officially verified to qualify for reward.

If found to be untrue or a prank, whistleblower is liable to be fined minimum $3k.

Dont let me find out, I surely will report to HDB.

Edited by Throttle2

True also, hard to ensure the calls are legitimate. Maybe submission must include personal details to deter?

And have the boy who cries wolf blacklist for whistle blowers.

like that i where dare report... i geuninely feel it may be rented out... but if i am wrong i get blacklist.....

if first 5 reports turns out i am wrong but the 6th report is right, like that how?

Turbocharged
(edited)

like that i where dare report... i geuninely feel it may be rented out... but if i am wrong i get blacklist.....

if first 5 reports turns out i am wrong but the 6th report is right, like that how?

standard whistleblower report should be able to send without name and NRIC although those are highly advice to indicate the confident level.

however, blacklist should be unnceccessary. cause most whistleblower are not professional investigator and we can only alert base on our gut feel. and investigation should still be done by government.

reward?? should be base on the seriousness of the breach.

Edited by Joseph22

standard whistleblower report should be able to send without name and NRIC although those are highly advice to indicate the confident level.

however, blacklist should be unnceccessary. cause most whistleblower are not professional investigator and we can only alert base on our gut feel. and investigation should still be done by government.

reward?? should be base on the seriousness of the breach.

Actually I think the "reward" is not having to live with maybe 20 persons renting a unit next door.

Most rental if discrete and does not disturb ppl, nobody will bother to report la.... [laugh]

Turbocharged

Actually I think the "reward" is not having to live with maybe 20 persons renting a unit next door.

Most rental if discrete and does not disturb ppl, nobody will bother to report la.... [laugh]

yap [nod] who know, the next owner who is legal to stay there might be worse then the neighbour who is illegal to stay there.

↡ Advertisement