Home Aircon

BoneStock

Folks,

My home aircon is >10 years old and it is noisy and also consuming a lot of electricity. Will like to seek some advice here on what is the best option for me.

Currently I have a 5 split aircon, one blower in each bedroom and since my living room is big, it has 2 blowers. After doing some searching, it seems like 5 split aircons are not sold anymore. Went to some shops and was told that more powerful/bigger blowers are available today so there is no need to install 2 blowers in my living room anymore.

So now I am seriously considering to replace my aircon with a 3 split since I hardly turn on the aircon in the living room. My place is usually quite cooling and a fan in the living room suffice. So the 2 extra blowers in my living room need to be removed totally....

Questions
1) My bedroom has custom made wardrobes. So the pipings cannot be replaced as it will damage the wardrobe. Any issue using existing pipings?

2) Currently, my aircon consumes 10~11KWh of power daily with 2 blowers turned on at night for 8 hours. The sales guys told me new inverter aircons can easily consume half of that. True?

3) One sales guy told me the most energy efficient aircon now is Toshiba 3 split. Energy saver labels shows 0.65 KWh (part load) so it translates into 5.2 KWh for 8 hours of usage. This is about 1/2 of my current aircon's consumption. So part load for a 3-split aircon means 2 blowers are turned?

Am considering either to go with Toshiba or Mitsubishi. There are many brands to choose from...very different from 10+ years ago when I only have 2~3 choices for the 5-split. Any other better recommendations please let me know. My top priority is low energy consumption and reliability.

thanks

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

I just replaced my air-con last month to Toshiba system 4, my living room blower is a bigger unit so it can still manage to cool the living room.

The reason I choose Toshiba is it is fully made in Japan, so the quality should be better, but not cheap, I pay more than 4K for the system, with servicing added, cost near to 5K.

Piping is a must to replace when you replace the air-con system. The copper piping might last a long time, but the insulation rubber cannot and they are not same as those >10 years ago. So you will have to start thinking how to remove the piping without damaging to your wardrobe

As for energy saving, I do feel that it does consume less energy than my previous air-con, although it still early to confirm, since I only install 1 month ago, my previous air-con is also system 4 inverter. The installer also told me that the gas they used now are also different than last time, it cool faster, which could explain less energy used.

• Praise 3

hi bro, thanks for the information [thumbsup]

Mind sharing the model of the Toshiba aircon and where you made the purchase? Or you could PM me if you like.

One of the shops offered to give me $150 rebate if I keep the existing pipings. I guess it saves a lot of work for them but to me the savings is negligible. I am more concerned with the deterioration on the existing pipes/joints like what you mentioned.

Since your aircon is over 10 years ago, it is almost certain that you are using old refrigerant. It has now been replaced with a newer and more eco-friendly refrigerant which will require redo of copper piping as it is operating at higher pressure and thus require a thicker piping. Old refrigerant type aircon is still available but it should be currently on clear stock basis. They will be totally disallow from selling by 2015 (or some time very near future). So, while it is still possible to find such aircon on sale, it is clearly a dead end. I'd suggest that you bite the bullet and redo the pipings....

• Praise 2

hi bro, thanks for the information [thumbsup]

Mind sharing the model of the Toshiba aircon and where you made the purchase? Or you could PM me if you like.

One of the shops offered to give me $150 rebate if I keep the existing pipings. I guess it saves a lot of work for them but to me the savings is negligible. I am more concerned with the deterioration on the existing pipes/joints like what you mentioned.

$150 is a cheap deal to them... change the piping to avoid future troubles with it....

• Praise 3

Folks,

My home aircon is >10 years old and it is noisy and also consuming a lot of electricity. Will like to seek some advice here on what is the best option for me.

Currently I have a 5 split aircon, one blower in each bedroom and since my living room is big, it has 2 blowers. After doing some searching, it seems like 5 split aircons are not sold anymore. Went to some shops and was told that more powerful/bigger blowers are available today so there is no need to install 2 blowers in my living room anymore.

So now I am seriously considering to replace my aircon with a 3 split since I hardly turn on the aircon in the living room. My place is usually quite cooling and a fan in the living room suffice. So the 2 extra blowers in my living room need to be removed totally....

Questions

1) My bedroom has custom made wardrobes. So the pipings cannot be replaced as it will damage the wardrobe. Any issue using existing pipings?

2) Currently, my aircon consumes 10~11KWh of power daily with 2 blowers turned on at night for 8 hours. The sales guys told me new inverter aircons can easily consume half of that. True?

3) One sales guy told me the most energy efficient aircon now is Toshiba 3 split. Energy saver labels shows 0.65 KWh (part load) so it translates into 5.2 KWh for 8 hours of usage. This is about 1/2 of my current aircon's consumption. So part load for a 3-split aircon means 2 blowers are turned?

Am considering either to go with Toshiba or Mitsubishi. There are many brands to choose from...very different from 10+ years ago when I only have 2~3 choices for the 5-split. Any other better recommendations please let me know. My top priority is low energy consumption and reliability.

thanks

1. No you cannot reuse the existing copper piping. your home piping were meant to conduct the old type of refrigerant known as R22A which has been phased out. R410A the replacement has significant differences in terms of saturation temperature and pressure. you need to get the contractor to reroute a new set of duplicate piping for your case.

2. Depends on the loading imposed on the compressor. Due to the variable loading capability of the inverter tech, it is possible.

3. To simplify matters, visit NEA and look at the idle loading + full loading figures for all the displayed split a/c systems. pick the one which fits your bill.

• Praise 2

(edited)

1. No you cannot reuse the existing copper piping. your home piping were meant to conduct the old type of refrigerant known as R22A which has been phased out. R410A the replacement has significant differences in terms of saturation temperature and pressure. you need to get the contractor to reroute a new set of duplicate piping for your case.

2. Depends on the loading imposed on the compressor. Due to the variable loading capability of the inverter tech, it is possible.

3. To simplify matters, visit NEA and look at the idle loading + full loading figures for all the displayed split a/c systems. pick the one which fits your bill.

Yup, just like I mentioned in my post....

In addition, if TS still wants 5 points, will need to install 2 compressor or 1 compressor + 1 window unit. Either way, will need to see if the block is allow to user higher loading. Can check online:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/bn25/isos119p.nsf/Search?OpenForm

Those will higher loading can have 2 compressors...

Edited by Tjkbeluga
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Folks,

Questions

thanks

if you need to keep 5 split units, it will be more economical to get 2 compressor (system 3 + system 2)

I dont think you will switch on all 5 units at one time

• Praise 1

Why don't you try living without aircon.

We do. No problem.

We have ceiling fans fitted and only use those occasionally.

Because we are used to the temp then no problem when out in the open air.

I thought it might be difficult to get used to but it really wasn't.

Money not a factor in the decision.

BTW we have aircons fitted in all rooms.

The main problem is humidity.

My aircon is switched on at 27 deg C which sometimes could be higher than outside temperature. But, w/o aircon my kids cannot sleep well even though outside temp is 25/26 deg C. [rolleyes]

• Praise 1

The main problem is humidity.

My aircon is switched on at 27 deg C which sometimes could be higher than outside temperature. But, w/o aircon my kids cannot sleep well even though outside temp is 25/26 deg C. [rolleyes]

Average humidity in the morning and day time is about 75% to 85%. I have a hygrometer cum thermometer in my room so i can monitor the relative humidity of air.

Since your aircon is over 10 years ago, it is almost certain that you are using old refrigerant. It has now been replaced with a newer and more eco-friendly refrigerant which will require redo of copper piping as it is operating at higher pressure and thus require a thicker piping. Old refrigerant type aircon is still available but it should be currently on clear stock basis. They will be totally disallow from selling by 2015 (or some time very near future). So, while it is still possible to find such aircon on sale, it is clearly a dead end. I'd suggest that you bite the bullet and redo the pipings....

I see. This is good info. Something the aircon shops didnt mention to me. :wacko:

Split aircon is only effective if you frequently use more than 1 unit at the same time. If not, they are better off left separate.

We usually turn on 2 blowers at night.

$150 is a cheap deal to them... change the piping to avoid future troubles with it....

yeah man. Now the issue is my custom made wardrobes.

Thanks bro. Yes, I have exported the list of aircons from NEA site. Too many models, so hoping to narrow down to a few by seeking some advice here.

Trying to cut cost... :D So most likely cutting down from 5 to 3 splits. Hopefully the patch work that they are going to do in my living room won't be too unsightly.

fans usually not enough for us during the hotter months. Also I don't like wind blowing on my face when I am sleeping. :D

currently, don't you have blockage in the pipes? now all the new aircons use larger diameter pipe. so it is advisable to change all the piping.

mostly pple will get Mitsubishi. try looking around your area and you know which is the most common brand. Mitsubishi is realiable.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

maybe leave the existing pipes alone and think of how to run the new pipes.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2