Car camera recommendation

Pelican

Hi, anyone has experience installing 2 set of dash cam? One set for front/rear view, another set for left/right view. My car was vandalized twice at the camera blind spot (right side near the rear bumper). Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

sorry, I'm a technical person who might just be overthinking it. [sweatdrop]

But, it can be thought of like this:

Cam A:

frame rate: 30fps

shutter speed: 1/70

bit rate: 30mbps

Cam B:

frame rate: 60fps

shutter speed: 1/60

bit rate: 80mbps

Cam C:

frame rate: 30fps

shutter speed: 1/45

bit rate: 15mbps

In this example Cam A will have the least blur, because it has the fastest "shutter" (i.e. time used to make one frame), Cam B will probably have the highest video quality due to highest bit rate (but of course depend on sensor, processing all that stuff, just generalizing here) while Cam C will have the most blur and lowest quality video.

Mind you a high fps camera might also suffer in other ways - if the "shutter speed" is faster, it means it absorb less light per frame, meaning the sensor must be more sensitive to get the same brightness otherwise the picture will be darker.

It's similar to why you take photo with handphone, always blurrier at night because the cam will take longer exposure (slower shutter) to get more light, so must hold more steady. That's why most vid cams like this harder to capture without blur at night. But typically a video cam like this will instead up the sensitivity (ISO) rather than shutter speed.

Can share which dashcam that you know have "shutter speed" faster then the frame rate ?

Quit interested in what the video may look like.

Turbocharged

Can share which dashcam that you know have "shutter speed" faster then the frame rate ?

Quit interested in what the video may look like.

none I can think of because I don't investigate dashcams that much and watch all their video footage.

Where got dashcam specs show you the "shutter speed" in a camera with no shutter? All only tell you fps.

Again, this is my speculation because I have photography/videography experience and I might simply be overthinking the matter.

But if you ever wonder what it's like, if you have a video-capable DSLR camera, you can try it yourself. Usually those allow adjustment of "shutter speed" while in video mode.

Edited by 7hm

none I can think of because I don't investigate dashcams that much and watch all their video footage.

Where got dashcam specs show you the "shutter speed" in a camera with no shutter? All only tell you fps.

Again, this is my speculation because I have photography/videography experience and I might simply be overthinking the matter.

But if you ever wonder what it's like, if you have a video-capable DSLR camera, you can try it yourself. Usually those allow adjustment of "shutter speed" while in video mode.

[laugh]          

Turbocharged

[laugh]          

If you think I'm coughing up ridiculous claims and theories, here is something that explains such things.

It makes a genuine difference, but you will not know until you look at sample footage of the dashcam you want.

https://youtu.be/xn1mpszEjZM

Edited by 7hm

If you think I'm coughing up ridiculous claims, here is something that explains such things.

It makes a genuine difference.

Eh... relax lah.  I really thought you have come across dashcam that got shutter speed. 

While my few DSLRs should be video capable, my needs are for camcorders. 

Turbocharged

Eh... relax lah.  I really thought you have come across dashcam that got shutter speed. 

While my few DSLRs should be video capable, my needs are for camcorders. 

If that's what you asking, I cannot tell you what dashcam have shutter speeds as configurable option. I strongly doubt any of the makers thought it was important enough a detail.

So the only way to see how much motion blur a camera will have is to view its footage, unless you can dredge up shutter speed spec. Frame rate is too often quoted as the sole defining factor. 

If that's what you asking, I cannot tell you what dashcam have shutter speeds as configurable option. I strongly doubt any of the makers thought it was important enough a detail.

So the only way to see how much motion blur a camera will have is to view its footage, unless you can dredge up shutter speed spec. Frame rate is too often quoted as the sole defining factor. 

Like that for dashcam,  since usually there is lack of shutter speed setting, guess have to just use frame rate as the sole defining factor. 

Edited by Kklee

Twincharged

are they still selling ?

go for a marbella ... my company has it on our fleet of vehicles and i must say, the videos are very good !

go for a marbella ... my company has it on our fleet of vehicles and i must say, the videos are very good !

Do you know which version they use.?

Seems like a lot of choice and of course cheaper is better but pointless to buy if its not good quality

LX1 $89

LX2 $149

LX3 $189

LX5 $259

Wondering which is best bang for buck.... Thanks

Turbocharged

Do you know which version they use.?

Seems like a lot of choice and of course cheaper is better but pointless to buy if its not good quality

LX1 $89

LX2 $149

LX3 $189

LX5 $259

Wondering which is best bang for buck.... Thanks

I'd say just go straight for the LX5. It appears to have an internal battery for parking recording and it comes with a 2nd channel camera which is actually quite good to have nowadays.

I'd say just go straight for the LX5. It appears to have an internal battery for parking recording and it comes with a 2nd channel camera which is actually quite good to have nowadays.

can we DIY install it ?

Hi all

IRoad V9 (not s2) to let go

Free gift from my AA membership upon renewal in Nov. Interested party can pre-arrange for collection when I receive the item. SMS 90372112.

Thank you.

Turbocharged

can we DIY install it ?

Just about any dash camera can be DIY installed, and models such as those from Marbella typically come with a 12V / cigarette lighter adaptor, but if you want to wire it directly to your car's battery, it's recommended to have a professional do it unless you are, yourself, a wiring expert.

Otherwise if just using cig-socket, remove the sticky pad/tape cover on cam, stick it to windshield/location you like (try to get it centered and straight), stick rear dash cam if any, run wire to front unit, then plug in the front unit to the 12V.

Also good to confirm with video test the alignment of your cam by looking at in built screen, or if don't have inbuilt screen via WiFi. Don't wind up pointing your cam towards the sky instead of the road. And don't forget to put in a memory card since not all models come with them.

Does anyone has any workshop to recommend for installation only?

I have a MagicPro and Blackvue. The Blackvue is already being used but currently connected to the cig lighter, hence unable to use parking mode. So I need an installer to install my MagicPro and conceal the wiring of the Blackvue.

Someone quoted me $80 to do this but it seems quite expensive to me. If can't get any workshop, I may end up DIY-ing as the issue I have is concealing the wire. Am afraid of breaking something when I do the concealing. Electrical wiring portion is not issue for me.