Car camera recommendation

Pelican

Neutral Newbie

hi guys, looking for a 2ch cam with parking mode.

saw the ddpai x3 pro which fits my requirement but can't seem to find anybody selling online.

can anybody guide or point me where to get it in?

alternatively, was looking at the 70mai A800 but slightly turned away by the large screen as it can be abit distracting to me at times.

besides, the sellers for A800 all seem to not sell the full kit (front and rear camera plus hardwire kit) and i suppose the hardwire kit is required to connect it to my battery directly right?

↡ Advertisement

Anyone using Thinkware cam but not using their Thinkware memory card? I want to upgrade but the salesperson told me must use Thinkware card.

Thanks.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:41 PM, Columbian78 said:

I am currently using 2x Itronics ITB100. Both were from previous car and had been operating > 6 years each. They are still working, video quality is still great, but I wonder which current models would you guys recommend that is comparable to ITB100s? Number 1 criteria is proven reliability (Don't mind paying more for reliability, but not for features I don't need). No need many features like wifi, parking mode, screen, built-in batt. 1080p is enough. Use standard cheap SD cards.

I used to have your setup, 2x ITB-100HD and they started occasionally having SD card errors probably due to the constant heating in the sun that required removing and reseating the SD cards. I put up with it till I eventually changed cars then went with a Blackvue DR-750 2ch. 

I like that there's WiFi so you can download videos on the fly (though it still takes a few minutes) and the front camera is 60fps. Front and rear videos are sync-ed, requiring less comparing of time stamps if you're trying to piece front and rear footage together. 

One drawback though, is that with the larger-capacity SD cards, you need to resort to some 3rd party software to format memory cards larger than 32gb, which the 1080p60 resolution chews through quite quickly at lower capacities. 

On 10/3/2020 at 3:16 AM, Mcst said:

hi guys, looking for a 2ch cam with parking mode.

saw the ddpai x3 pro which fits my requirement but can't seem to find anybody selling online.

can anybody guide or point me where to get it in?

alternatively, was looking at the 70mai A800 but slightly turned away by the large screen as it can be abit distracting to me at times.

besides, the sellers for A800 all seem to not sell the full kit (front and rear camera plus hardwire kit) and i suppose the hardwire kit is required to connect it to my battery directly right?

I am going for 1 x mini 5 for front and 1 x mini 3 for rear. Cheaper and better resolutions both front and rear. Try Shopee. 

12 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Anyone using Thinkware cam but not using their Thinkware memory card? I want to upgrade but the salesperson told me must use Thinkware card.

Thanks.

Using a Samsung EVO U3 128GB microSD card with Thinkware F800 PRO coming to 3 years. On 24/7 with parking mode enabled with iVolt BAB-100 battery pack.

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, BengGaBoy said:

Using a Samsung EVO U3 128GB microSD card with Thinkware F800 PRO coming to 3 years. On 24/7 with parking mode enabled with iVolt BAB-100 battery pack.

Thanks bro!

On 10/6/2020 at 10:23 AM, BengGaBoy said:

Thanks again, bought the Samsung Evo Plus U3 64GB and seems to be working well with Thinkware. Their so-called Thinkware card is super overpriced.

12 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Thanks again, bought the Samsung Evo Plus U3 64GB and seems to be working well with Thinkware. Their so-called Thinkware card is super overpriced.

No prob.

I have also tested Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I x2 as well. But of course, testing period is not as long as Samsung EVO.

Not too sure whether is it true, get the biggest memory size your device can support (in this case 128GB for Thinkware) so that the same spot is over-written fewer times and hopefully, the card can last much longer. No harm trying.

• Praise 1

56 minutes ago, BengGaBoy said:

No prob.

I have also tested Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I x2 as well. But of course, testing period is not as long as Samsung EVO.

Not too sure whether is it true, get the biggest memory size your device can support (in this case 128GB for Thinkware) so that the same spot is over-written fewer times and hopefully, the card can last much longer. No harm trying.

Ok, noted with thanks.

I saw this from Thinkware website:

How long is the lifespan of a SD card?

Please note that SD cards are consumable items. Due to the stress and build-up of bad blocks (spaces on the memory card that files can no longer be stored) due to constant overwriting cycles, SD cards typically have lifetime of 6 months to 1 year with regular formatting.

When corrupt memory cards are inserted to Thinkware Dash Cams, our dash cam continually restarts in attempt to allocate space on the card to save its files.

The dash cam may also state "Format SD card regularly for data integrity" upon each startup. Another indication that the SD card has gone corrupt is hearing the device say "Memory card error."

If you believe that the SD card is beginning to become corrupt, insert the card into your PC. If the SD card is unable to be properly formatted it is time to replace this SD card.

Neutral Newbie
On 9/30/2020 at 1:17 AM, awhtc said:

70mai A800 4K Dual Dash Camera Review - GPS & WiFi

Hi. Brought a used car that pre installed with blackvue 590. But find it very troublesome as cannot view what I am taking unless plug the SD card into the computer. May I know this camera 70 Mai come with warranty? Easy to install? Come with motion detection mode when car engine off? 

On 10/14/2020 at 11:23 PM, Cw1985 said:

Hi. Brought a used car that pre installed with blackvue 590. But find it very troublesome as cannot view what I am taking unless plug the SD card into the computer. May I know this camera 70 Mai come with warranty? Easy to install? Come with motion detection mode when car engine off? 

this was nice.

57 minutes ago, s4dreamer said:

Which workshops did you go to get your dash cam fixed? Any recommendations?

Can try Autotrend at Toa Payoh. Look for the boss Darren.

Been going there for my horns, alarm, car cam, etc. 

On 10/15/2020 at 1:23 AM, Cw1985 said:

I'm not too clear and it is likely to be dependent on the seller.  For the rear camera, it definitely requires skills and simple prying tools to install.  You need a purchase the additional hard wire kit to tap onto the car battery for parking mode.

any recommendations for 2ch full hd with wifi?

blackvue 590W good enough? anything better at that price point?

buy from where can get free installation?

Edited by wlalala

On 10/15/2020 at 1:23 AM, Cw1985 said:

It doesn't come with motion detect for parking mode. Only records upon impact. That's a concern for me.

Tested the DDP Mini 3 and Mini 5. 

Mini 3 comes with a Bluetooth wireless push switch to snap a photo and 10-30s video, not the Mini 5. But both can be voice activated to do the same. "I want to take a photo". And other functions. 

In Chinese! 😅

Ingerish educated buyers beware! 

Plus Mini 5 has GPS and speed indication. Which of course I will switch off. 

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement