Car camera recommendation

Pelican

Morbella currently got promotion at IT Show...

LX5 twin camera @ S$259 (24hrs recording/no need installation) 

Free 32Gb SD Card, Bluetooth speaker, in-car spliter, HDMI Cable.

QB6 dual camera @ S$299 

Free 32GB SD Card, 5600mAh battery bank, Bluetooth speaker, in-car spliter, HDMI cable

So far i using QB6 for almost 1 year...so far so good.

Note: LX5 camera is 140WVA and QB6 is 170WVA.

Piang. So headache to get a good, cheap yet reliable cam with park mode. I must hve park mode but battery is the issue now. Think at most get xiaomi 100k powerbank, shld be enough juice to power the cams but front and back so far, cable hw to solve. Unless 2x20k pwrbank. Dnt knw will explode or not if under heat for too long

Morbella currently got promotion at IT Show...

LX5 twin camera @ S$259 (24hrs recording/no need installation)

Free 32Gb SD Card, Bluetooth speaker, in-car spliter, HDMI Cable.

QB6 dual camera @ S$299

Free 32GB SD Card, 5600mAh battery bank, Bluetooth speaker, in-car spliter, HDMI cable

So far i using QB6 for almost 1 year...so far so good.

Note: LX5 camera is 140WVA and QB6 is 170WVA.

Bro..what is the difference between LX5 twin camera and QB6 dual camera? LX5 24 hours recording without installation sounds interesting. But how come cheaper than QB6? Is your existing QB6 do 24 hrs recording?

Thank!

Supercharged

A few thing that determine a good car camcorder, the sensor (resolution), the recording speed (fps), the lens (angle and lens type) and processor (image processing CPU). All the full HD car camera can only run 30fps at 1920×1080. In the event of the accident, if the camera is on high specification, you can capture the number plate and what actually happen. Nevertheless, if you are talking about getting detail video on moving object then you need a camera that can caputre more flame (1 photo or image) per second (fps) at high resolution which only high speed camera can do it. A high speed camera can capture 1024x1024 pixel at 6400 fps and the price is more than 10K. A camcorder in this case basically not required it, it just need full HD with 30fps, good lens and sensor, and a good image processing to get enough detail of the accident. Furthermore, the purpose of car camcorder is not use to capture scenery but event right?

Get a Action Camera like SJCam or GoPRO...they all have Car Functions like loop recording, motion detection.

SJCam are all less than $200 with Full HD and 60fps, and very small...yet dual function as a regular camera or camcorder when you want to use it.

Why spend so much money when nobody going to give you back any...insurance company will give you some discount so long you have a front camera...no need to spend big bucks on one...just my opinion... :a-panic:

any recommendation?

Currently using a low budget dvr, GS3000 if I not wrong.

nothing to shout, hate the part that once memory is full.. I have to self delete..

I'm looking for something that I can hook up with my car battery for 24hours recording..

cheap and good if possible..

Bro..what is the difference between LX5 twin camera and QB6 dual camera? LX5 24 hours recording without installation sounds interesting. But how come cheaper than QB6? Is your existing QB6 do 24 hrs recording?

Thank!

LX5: 140 degrees wide angle

QB6: 170 degrees wide angle

Both comes with in built 500 mah battery, do note that LX5 is a new product and QB6 price has been holding steady since Nov 2014 at 299.

Between LX5 and QB6 I might choose QB6, it has been around for a while, would have less new unknown issues.

Just a quick Field Report (FR) from Suntec

• QB6 - out of stock no pre order available
  • QB5 - promoter doesn't recommend
  • LX5 - 10 working days order lead time
  • LX3 - available

Wanted QB6 due to 170deg, in the end purchased LX3 since MTL BBB virus does not allow any waiting.

If you require installation / wire concealment services, for JP/KR cars pricing start from $40 but more likely $80 based on a full time staff. Same full time staff also recommend single channel, said if rear kenna langah no horse run :secret-laugh:

For tiko ranger bros, nope no eye candy promoter.

Let's see how this goes.

Supersonic

Actually i like the blinker from the rear cam. From observations, people tend to not gate u n even at the stop lights, they keep a distance. Btw, normally, how is concealment for front n rear cam wiring done?

LX5: 140 degrees wide angle

QB6: 170 degrees wide angle

Both comes with in built 500 mah battery, do note that LX5 is a new product and QB6 price has been holding steady since Nov 2014 at 299.

Between LX5 and QB6 I might choose QB6, it has been around for a while, would have less new unknown issues.

I see. Meaning QB6 can do 24 hrs recording too since it comes with 500 mah battery?

Supersonic

Piang. So headache to get a good, cheap yet reliable cam with park mode. I must hve park mode but battery is the issue now. Think at most get xiaomi 100k powerbank, shld be enough juice to power the cams but front and back so far, cable hw to solve. Unless 2x20k pwrbank. Dnt knw will explode or not if under heat for too long

Whatever camera you used, remember if they are connected directly to the car battery and you operate them in park mode, you are likely to get a flat battery which may result in you being unable to start the engine.

Also, you are likely to get the car battery into a sulphated state, meaning it will get weaker by the day.

For those who insist on park mode, either get a secondary battery to operate the cameras and which is disconnected from the main battery OR get ready jump starter, bcuz you will need it.

Supercharged

Actually I saw a lot of owner engaging the installation service, it's pretty easy to diy.

I did on my own, remove the rubber seal, A pillar, hide the wiring inside and put back.

Can try it.

Whatever camera you used, remember if they are connected directly to the car battery and you operate them in park mode, you are likely to get a flat battery which may result in you being unable to start the engine.

Also, you are likely to get the car battery into a sulphated state, meaning it will get weaker by the day.

For those who insist on park mode, either get a secondary battery to operate the cameras and which is disconnected from the main battery OR get ready jump starter, bcuz you will need it.

The secondary battery, is it those powerbank? I'm actually curious how does the secondary battery works?

During engine running, it will draw power from main battery to recharge.

Once engine is off, it will supply power for the car cam for recording?

Thank!

It's the camera angle difference.  QB6 is 170 while LX5 is 140 degree angle....usually the bigger angle can capture more wide angle video.

Supersonic

The secondary battery, is it those powerbank? I'm actually curious how does the secondary battery works?

It can be any rechargeable lead-acid battery, like those sealed lead-acid (SLA) or small motorbike 12v battery.

Lithium-ion (powerbank) battery is tricky bcuz it can't be connected directly to the alternator running at 14V to be charged. It may blow up due to the high voltage. Lithium batt max charging (3 series cell) is 12.6V

So if you have a small SLA battery, like 7AH

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1297700/16268983/0/1287644508/12V_7Ah_Sealed_lead_acid_battery.jpg

You can connect to the main battery/alternator via a relay and then the cam connect to this secondary battery.

How it works is that, when the engine is shut off, the relay disconnect the secondary battery to the main battery.

The cam can just keep recording until the sec battery is flat, but it does not affect the main battery which can then be used to start the engine.

When the engine is started, the relay connects the flat sec battery to the alternator, which is then charged up.

Actually I saw a lot of owner engaging the installation service, it's pretty easy to diy.

I did on my own, remove the rubber seal, A pillar, hide the wiring inside and put back.

Can try it.

Actually, i saw one driver who used a powerbank for the Camera after he parked his car.

Actually, i saw one driver who used a powerbank for the Camera after he parked his car.

According to bro kb27 sharing above, my guess is the driver use 12V output powerbank for the camera. The powerbank charging part could be using cigaratte socket because 12.6V battery cannot use car engine battery to charge direct. Another solution is get 2 powerbank charger and one charge it at home.

For example this 10000mah powerbank has 9V/12V output. I just wondering how long it can be used for car camera recording with 10000mah.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00935L44E/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Shesc1WiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C72_&refRID=01110ZEH05P2F60YSZFE

According to bro kb27 sharing above, my guess is the driver use 12V output powerbank for the camera. The powerbank charging part could be using cigaratte socket because 12.6V battery cannot use car engine battery to charge direct. Another solution is get 2 powerbank charger and one charge it at home.

For example this 10000mah powerbank has 9V/12V output. I just wondering how long it can be used for car camera recording with 10000mah.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00935L44E/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Shesc1WiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C72_&refRID=01110ZEH05P2F60YSZFE

Let's say a dashcam draws an average of 750mah.

A true 10,000mah powerbank would be able to power it for slightly more than 13 hours. 

Another consideration is the recharge time - unless it is no issue swapping powerbanks.

Waiting for xiaomi to have their 10k power bank available stock again, will target to buy 2 and do the swapping arrangement.

Then again past 3 and current ride never have had parking related issues, so am wondering if this spend is really needed.

Prepares popcorn and await naysayers' response about wait until car kena langgah when parked :darkmood:

↡ Advertisement