What is the purpose of Permanent Residency?

Darryn

Turbocharged

There's lots of news in today's paper about PRs, and the differentiation between PR and citizen.

I spend way too much time here, so don't really want to start a debate on whether the policies are good or bad.

Would rather take a step back and look at what your thoughts are for the fundamental purpose of permanent residency.

In my view it should be used to, in the first instance provide a level of "surety" to those who have talents that will add to Singapore while they explore citizenship. So it's mostly an attraction for talent that is an interim step to citizenship.

What do you think?

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

There's lots of news in today's paper about PRs, and the differentiation between PR and citizen.

I spend way too much time here, so don't really want to start a debate on whether the policies are good or bad.

Would rather take a step back and look at what your thoughts are for the fundamental purpose of permanent residency.

In my view it should be used to, in the first instance provide a level of "surety" to those who have talents that will add to Singapore while they explore citizenship. So it's mostly an attraction for talent that is an interim step to citizenship.

What do you think?

Interim step to citizenship yes but any takers? Not many. Considering the differences between PR and citizen is small, there was really no need for them to become a citizen. Other than getting some GST rebates or housing grants, or baby bonuses for newborn, there is no difference. The recent events to differentiate PR and citizen more was to give priority placing in primary schools to citizens. Hardly enticing. Why would a PR give up the best of two worlds to have just one?

Permanently stay in that country, but want to stay out of political and national matters.

Education is national matters!

Army conscription is national matters.

Subsidized HDB is as well.

If a PR can list alot of difference between a PR n citizens, then it means the country is taking care of its citizens.

If the PR cannot list any unfair treatment accorded to a PR, that will be unsettling news for a citizen to know.

Supercharged

What do you think?

this would mostly be the view of immigration policy makers and therefore kind of lack some practicality/reality check.

from the perspective of people who applies to be PR, I think there is a good 50% of them who wants to remain PR on permanent basis. they want to be here only because the income is good but they do hope to return to their home country when they are in the age of not economically active. i have come across quite a sizeable population of such people and they hail from all nationality, including Malaysia.

my cousin is one such example, he fret when he was invited to take up citizenship. i interviewed a few PR would they go for citizenship and they say they have not thought of it/don't want to decide now .

Turbocharged

Darryn,

can you dont every few week start a PR Vs Citizen debate??

our view will remain the same. with the open legs policy we have now. the benefit for Citizen and PR better have a ultra big gap.

(edited)

Actually , you need to consider another type of residence in sg i.e. Those on EP.

Long Long time ago, Citizen is citizen.. while PR are ppl that intend to stay in sg for a good period of time but is not citizen. In order to save the trouble of getting companies or SG to sponsor them, PR are given when the person "qualified" and allow to stay in SG and enjoy most if not all benefits as their intention is to stay for long term and contribute to the society and pay CPF.

Then , there is EP and on social pass, ppl there are here for a reason. Either SG does not want to accept them to stay here on a long term.. or they do not want here long term too.. EP need sponsoring. So EP change to PR asap to ensure that they are not held hostage by the employer.

Then, 1 fine day, MOM wakes up and say EP no need sponsor..can continue working here and hop ,hop ,hop. So those on EP , not intending to stay in sg long term... Continue to be on EP. PR need become useless.. Then come hdb, alot of leftover.. so open to PR.. thus, in turn , encourage EP to become PR again..

So what i can say.. there is always a equal and opp effect of every policy...I hope these scholard really worth their keep.

Edited by Jrage

Supercharged

That is what you think? If so, then I am not surprised why you started this trend...

What do you think?

Its like friends wif benefits.

Once benefits reaped enuff, dey balik kampong as rich people in their own kampong.

Turbocharged

It's a snake pit to know where the balance lies - what is "proper" and what is not. What should be and what should not.

When does the fundamental purpose of PR get maligned by increasing differentiation? Imagine the person that wants to work towards citizenship, this generally takes around 10 years. In that 10 years, there's going to be a lot of things they cannot do.

If PR is to entice talent - are you going to entice the best talent if they know there's a lot of things they cannot do.

You also need to maintain enough balance such that there is a difference and "incentive" to become citizen. Although this part I am not so sure about. After all, you don't select your wife based on the size of her dowry right? Or at least, I hope not. :-)

Looking specifically at the education policy, PR have now been excluded from 27 schools in Singapore. You'd also have to wonder if this is a good thing? Good for citizen parents? Definitely!

Good on the individual basis for the kids that get in that would otherwise not? Yep, without doubt.

Collectively good from the point of view of diversity, different viewpoints, different cultures in a school? I am not so sure, and don't have an answer. Especially as diversity is hard to quantify, and harder still to attribute a definitive, measurable value to having a more diverse class.

this one will really very stale liao.

like all the political thread. not much to debate.

i only like sex threads, more fun, more juice [:p]

Turbocharged

That is what you think? If so, then I am not surprised why you started this trend...

Why not? It is well known that Singapore has a shortage of nurses. if the offer of PR attracts nurses - isn't this an interim solution to make sure we have enough nurses? It's not the only solution, there may be others that work better, or not. But it is one policy.

I know that for New Zealand, they work on a "point system" to award PR. If you have a talent where the economy as a whole is thought to be lacking, you get additional "bonus points" to help you get PR earlier, to jump the queue or get higher priority. Is this wrong or stupid?

Why not? It is well known that Singapore has a shortage of nurses. if the offer of PR attracts nurses - isn't this an interim solution to make sure we have enough nurses? It's not the only solution, there may be others that work better, or not. But it is one policy.

I know that for New Zealand, they work on a "point system" to award PR. If you have a talent where the economy as a whole is thought to be lacking, you get additional "bonus points" to help you get PR earlier, to jump the queue or get higher priority. Is this wrong or stupid?

stupid

its also well know that many of our young local nurses prefer to work in UK and many of the local old timer nurses have been unceremoniously retired.

anyway singapore does not want nurses for citizens. only doctors.

Says who? You mean the peasants or gahmen? A lot of PRC and Pinoy nurses have taken up citizenships.

Turbocharged

stupid

Stupid to try and attract talent that the country is lacking? Do explain.

↡ Advertisement