Online scam

Ysc3

Twincharged

Police warns of scams involving web security

SINGAPORE - Police have warned the public not to fall prey to phone scams involving web security.

They said there have been 32 reported cases since the start of this year.

A woman, who wants to remain anonymous, said she received a phone call on June 14 from someone claiming to be an employee of a well-known software company.

She was told that some Malaysians were trying to hack into her computer. And to protect it, she had to buy a security licence.

She handed over her credit card details and found out later that over S$1,300 was stolen from her account.

"I asked them to let me talk to my husband, but they said no, I had to make a decision that time, or else my computer would be blacklisted... I gave my credit card number and one-time password. Suddenly the screen went blank and some amount was charged to my account, and it was in euros," she said.

CHANNEL NEWSASIA

↡ Advertisement

SINGAPORE - Police have warned the public not to fall prey to phone scams involving web security.

A woman, who wants to remain anonymous, said she received a phone call on June 14 from someone claiming to be an employee of a well-known software company.

She was told that some Malaysians were trying to hack into her computer. And to protect it, she had to buy a security licence.

She handed over her credit card details and found out later that over S$1,300 was stolen from her account.

"I asked them to let me talk to my husband, but they said no, I had to make a decision that time, or else my computer would be blacklisted... I gave my credit card number and one-time password. Suddenly the screen went blank and some amount was charged to my account, and it was in euros," she said.

CHANNEL NEWSASIA

What company........

CHANNEL NEWSASIA

another KUKU person.....unless her computer contains some inportant data which the hackers want otherwise who would want to hack into a personal computer???? just switch off power and call service provider loh.

My wife received such call too, the moment the guy speak "helloo.."she knew it already cos the accent very funny, so she decided played ard with that guy, asking "how do you know I have pc at home? I don't have pc at home...." the guy still dont believe, still ask do u understand what i mean? My wife continue play ard with him till he lan lan said sorry sorry and bye bye [laugh]

Edited by Hulk

Neutral Newbie

someone calls me saying that he is from Microsoft and my computer has been hacked. I ask him to identify himself. I too reveal my identity as father of Bill Gate and I will let my son handle the computer problem. Hahaha.

Man charged with 450 counts of cheating another of $2.36m
PUBLISHED ON NOV 11, 2014
BY ELENA CHONG
SINGAPORE - A man allegedly conned a friend into giving him a total of $2.36 million over three years by claiming that he was the beneficiary of an inheritance amounting to hundreds of millions, a court heard.
Brendan Robert Don, 46, was hauled to court on Tuesday to face 450 charges of cheating Mr Alan Lye Cher Kang, in his 40s, of between $300 and $33,000 each time.
Don, who is unemployed, allegedly deceived Mr Lye into believing that the government had seized his "inheritance", and that he needed loans to pay various kinds of fees for the release of the money to him.
The alleged offences occurred between Aug 30, 2011 and Aug 2 this year.
In one of the charges, he is said to have induced Mr Lye to hand over $16,000, saying the amount was needed to pay lawyer fees to the Ministry of Home Affairs for the release of $250 million to $500 million to him.
Court documents show he gave a slew of reasons for the loans such as paying banks, insurance companies, overtime fees to various bank officers, tax deposits to the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, audit fees, and miscellaneous fees to CISCO.
His lawyer Irving Choh sought an adjournment to make representations.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Grace Goh told the court that the prosecution would proceed on 20 charges if Don takes a certain course. She asked for the case to be adjourned for two weeks.
Asked by District Judge Eddy Tham, she said there was no restitution of the $2.36 million involved, and the money went to Don to "fund his lifestyle".
Don, who is stout and balding, showed no emotion when the charges were read to him in court.
Bail of $500,000 was offered, and pre-trial conference date is scheduled for Dec 18.
If convicted, he faces a jail term of up to 10 years and a fine on each charge.

he really believe him and gave him $2.3 million!! :o :o

Deputy Public Prosecutor Grace Goh told the court that the prosecution would proceed on 20 charges if Don takes a certain course. She asked for the case to be adjourned for two weeks.

What course?

Don, who is stout and balding, showed no emotion when the charges were read to him in court.

How is this relevant? And why would someone show emotion when the charges are being read out? Won't they only show emotion when hearing the judgment? Charges would be well known to him even before he stepped into the court.

What course?

How is this relevant? And why would someone show emotion when the charges are being read out? Won't they only show emotion when hearing the judgment? Charges would be well known to him even before he stepped into the court.

just to describe the man mah, reader duno how he looks like and nobody draw picture in the court (a bit of description will get people to imagine [laugh]

What course?

haha, I think the reporter feel like he just have to report something more, so he just use the most convenient description he can think of.

Few men went to wechat to chat.

Found pretty girls offering pricing too good to be true.

Was asked to meet at MRT or any common places with Axn machine to pay the transaction fee via alipay.

Few was con because small head rules over big head.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/don-t-talk-to-strangers-on-wechat--iaround--police-064226862.html

Was asked to meet at MRT or any common places with Axn machine to pay the transaction fee via alipay.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/don-t-talk-to-strangers-on-wechat--iaround--police-064226862.html

His plan was to simply make a friend, grab a coffee perhaps, and then head on to dinner with his friends in town.

yah right, where got free lunch in this world [laugh]

Actually, it has nothing to do with small head over big head.

Once he ascertained that he would not be having sex with the girl, he should use his big head and refuse to pay the guy. I wouldn't consider this as a scam but an extortion attempt.

Anyway, there is no cure for stupidity but thankfully, this guy is still smart enough not to disclose his name for everyone to laugh at.

↡ Advertisement