Testing battery health

Karebu

How do u take care of your battery?

I've only heard of leaving accessories all off till you've started engine.

↡ Advertisement

Battery is cheap. No need to take super care because even if you do, the life span is not going to extend another 1 year. At best another 30 days.

The life span of a battery very much depends on the location of your battery (heat), The way you use your car. If you drive continuously for long period like taxi, the battery water is boiling inside (charging), the battery will have a shorter life. Then the quality of the battery plates (brand) also plays a part.

If you drive says 30mins to 45 mins and then rest for the next 4 hours for the battery to cool down completely, then drive again. The battery will last much longer. But surely you cannot do this because the car is bought to serve its owner.

Battery is cheap. No need to take super care because even if you do, the life span is not going to extend another 1 year. At best another 30 days.

This is sweeping statement, how do you come about with the 30 days :D

The life span of a battery very much depends on the location of your battery (heat), The way you use your car. If you drive continuously for long period like taxi, the battery water is boiling inside (charging), the battery will have a shorter life. Then the quality of the battery plates (brand) also plays a part.

Look at battery located in the engine bay, there is always large opening for air circulation. The danger is trapping hot air.

If the battery water starts boiling, that means either the alternator is charging far beyond the max permissible14.2volt. or the battery is highly surphalted. The other possibility is the alternator regulating diodes are about to fail.

If you drive says 30mins to 45 mins and then rest for the next 4 hours for the battery to cool down completely, then drive again. The battery will last much longer. But surely you cannot do this because the car is bought to serve its owner.

One of the main reason why lead acid battery fail prematurely , it's because they are always undercharge and over load. The cause of undercharge is due to start stop driving ( city driving). It take about 60amp to crank over an engine ( 1.6litre engine )and it will need to take few hours of driving ( not city driving) to recover back the loss amp.

Thats why for fire engines, ambulances and police cars, most of them need to be charge by an external battery charge when they return back to base unless they very special low speed high charging alternator. For some cars with smart charging system the charging will be monitored by the on-board computer and not dependent on engine speeds.

[/color] Edited by Yeobh

This is a very simple battery starter alternator tester - a GO & NO-GO multimeter designed for mech & DIYers. No need to remember all the voltage min and max limits, what the mech need to know is - how to activated electrical load when taking battery charge status, how to increase engine speed when taking charging voltages etc etc.

post-272-1345874999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

[/color]

Yes you have much theory on battery and charging.

Mine comes from observation and experience. The 30 days thingy is basically to say they don't last much longer. No exactly 30 days.

What I am trying to tell you guys is don't waste time and energy in trying to save small money on car battery. $120 to $180 for a car battery which probably serve us well between 12 to 24 months. Works out to be $10 or less per month. Why waste time on it.

I do understand your pov. Do you change your batteries on some schedule? Because for me I hate the feeling of waking up to a flat battery and having to wait for assistance.

Just to let you know that I have more than 30+ years of working experience in the automotive service industry :D I am a old horse in this industry, most of those who know me either have retired , migrated or meet the creator. I am just passing my time doing " kachang Puteh" online sales.

PS I am sorry to have offended you , just ignore what I have written [wave]

What's the cheapest way of testing battery health?

I know for sure multimeter doesn't work.

Yesterday was my second time with flat battery. I did 'feel' a slightly slower crank about a month ago and this time round I've decided to test the batt with multimeter religiously. And even when it went dead, it was registering about 12.2v and 11.9v with ignition turned to accessory.

Both times I've monitored the indicators on the batteries. Two different brands. And they have obviously failed me.

I'm aware of battery load testers but they don't come cheap. I am doubtful of those $20 battery health meters (cigarette plug style found in autobacs) - or do they work?

I do carry jumper cables in the boot but I really dislike the idea of having to wait around for some kind soul to help. Are there any other ways to test?

Multimeter only can take voltage not the load of the current therefore not so reliable. I went to the mechanic they measure using a load meter reading said the certain % but not to be lower then 40%.

Otherwise anytime the ride will not start, as I not having a lot accessories so i presume can last as mine read at 65%

But again looking at my battery size so small I also feel worry but mechanic said if you upgrade to a higher amp the alternator will take longer to obtain full charge as you know battery will not last if not fully charge.

Best stay stock or slightly higher.

How do u take care of your battery?

I've only heard of leaving accessories all off till you've started engine.

yeah, i do that plus I avoid adding electrical load; even gps I will charge at home.

My usual routine is short trips, but that time the battery died, I was on my way to Penang, at a not so slow speed too, so I really dont understand why it went flat... the engine bay was quite cool. My current theory is that my puny engine shuts down charging when I travel at high speed.

I do understand your pov. Do you change your batteries on some schedule? Because for me I hate the feeling of waking up to a flat battery and having to wait for assistance.

No I don't changed them based on time. I take notice of the cranking speed. Another indication is the early morning voltage reading.

Just to let you know that I have more than 30+ years of working experience in the automotive service industry :D I am a old horse in this industry, most of those who know me either have retired , migrated or meet the creator. I am just passing my time doing " kachang Puteh" online sales.

PS I am sorry to have offended you , just ignore what I have written [wave]

Hi Yeobh,

I am in no way offended and I do take note of your time in this industry. Everyone learn from their experience and hence make their conclusion from there. Develop certain practice and theories. As for car battery, no real way to acertain their life span. Simply because every motorist use their car in a different manner, short trips, too short a trip.....

You can have same brand/size of battery in say 100 same car model. They all will have very differing life span. So again, just change when the time to change. No need to sayang the battery or install/purchase expensive instruments to measure its life. Battery is just too cheap comparing to other motoring cost.

My car mechanic simply use one year and a half to change my car battery.

Is this a right "parameter" to change it?

There seemed to be no sure way to tell if a battery is going flat when the 1 1/2 year approaches.

Oh yes from my experience; it takes more than once to ignite the car. [;)]

Does this thing works?

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?autoco...p;product=27023

hi guys, an observation from my 1.5yr car.

while it cranks on the first attempt, i noticed that the radio (i left it on) is interrupted like 1/4 second recently. didn't seem to have any interruption previously. headlights and interior lights are on and are okay.

i suppose this is an indication the battery is getting weak?

For me it's mainly the sound between each 'sparking noise(?)' of the crank start? The kgg kgg kgg sound. Lol.

Yea. It's probably like the difference of a fraction of a second. But it can be felt.

hi guys, an observation from my 1.5yr car.

while it cranks on the first attempt, i noticed that the radio (i left it on) is interrupted like 1/4 second recently. didn't seem to have any interruption previously. headlights and interior lights are on and are okay.

i suppose this is an indication the battery is getting weak?

Many car radio are wired such that it will cut out during crank position.

Not sure if yours is normally on during crank. If so, the crank voltage might have dropped more and cut out the radio below certain voltage. This would mean your battery is getting weaker.

Load test meter applies a certain current load to the battery and check for voltage.

If it falls below certain voltage (approx 10V), it is considered either weak or bad.

just do battery test this morning,result as below

VOLTS 13.08V

MEASURED 179CCA

RATING 370CCA

should i replace battery?

Very bad. Replaced asap before you're stranded.

↡ Advertisement