Comments on Mazda CX5

Lycanthrope

Message added by kobayashiGT

Give your comments on Mazda CX-5 here!

Hi guys

those who bought CX5 ..please come in and comment on ur ride ... good or bad ..please

Thanks

Saw that in one of the roadshows, The grill at the front puts me off. Looks like a cartoon. Luxury variant Specifications are good, One should not select or reject only baserd on the looks as it is highly subjective.

i think it is still very rare. i have yet to come across one on the road. I think 2L engine more difficult to sell in SG these days.

Edited by Orablue

I think the car is ok lah. Not that outstanding and not that bad either. The only things bad right now is the COE and the strong Yen.

In terms of tech, high compression and direct fuel injection is nothing new. To me the SUV trend is fading. Except for the chunky rugged looks of SUVs there is nothing else attractive. It's neither low fuel consumption nor is it high performance and ppl drive them on tarmacs rather dan offroad. With fuel price heading North all the time ppl are looking at smaller compact cars or even hybrids. I heard the bigger sibling the CX-7 is being discontinued. This is the second model after Mazda 6 to be axed in their car lineup.

Mazda is considered small company as compared to other big fishes in Japan. In terms of funding and R&D, it's obvious they are lacking behind. Their so called "zoom zoom" is heading South-wards.

I reckon it's a good car in it's own right, only let down by average engine performance.

Build quality seems pretty good, and interior ergonomics are also good.

Nice proportions and quite nice-looking in general.

Only problem is the high yen and high COE make this car an unworthy investment.

CX-5 is top of my next-car-list now.

Anybody want to share your comments, owners?

It's very well regarded in US and UK where I have have been researching from.

I test drove it recently and I like it.

However despite having been launched in sg for more than a year, it is extremely rare to see one on the road. I have seen less than 5 here so far.

Neutral Newbie

There are plenty of cx5 in malaysia now due to its attractive pricing (starting at RM136k). Design looks good to my eyes. Interior will have to see and feel it myself when going for test drive this weekend (Msia). The car is packed with features, much better than rivals eg Honda CRV. So far reviews from the rest of the world have been pretty positive. My main concern is engine power, as some reviewer thought the car felt a little lethargic at times. I am considering either the civic 2.0s or cx5, I know I am not comparing apple to apple but any thought from fellow bros?

CX-5 is top of my next-car-list now.

Anybody want to share your comments, owners?

It's very well regarded in US and UK where I have have been researching from.

I test drove it recently and I like it.

However despite having been launched in sg for more than a year, it is extremely rare to see one on the road. I have seen less than 5 here so far.

I ever went showroom to look look see see, the car is alright but just the price is a little big high, and with Mazda OMV usually very low.

If compare to the same price bracket, Murano is a lot more luxurious and well built. But Murano already few years away from their last facelift. But that the reason Murano is selling at a much lower price to OMV than the CX-5.

There are plenty of cx5 in malaysia now due to its attractive pricing (starting at RM136k). Design looks good to my eyes. Interior will have to see and feel it myself when going for test drive this weekend (Msia). The car is packed with features, much better than rivals eg Honda CRV. So far reviews from the rest of the world have been pretty positive. My main concern is engine power, as some reviewer thought the car felt a little lethargic at times. I am considering either the civic 2.0s or cx5, I know I am not comparing apple to apple but any thought from fellow bros?

I think the current CX-5 sold in Malaysia is assembled in Malaysia due to a joint manufacturing venture between Mazda and a Malaysian plant. This is why it can be priced attarctively there.

Some reviewers say the 2litre is underpowered. These reviewers typically say the same thing for other similar class 2 litre CUVs like CRV. However, many owners (in mazdas247 forum) say they do not understand why it is described as underpowered. A baseline CUV is not meant to be racy or fast. 2 litre felt good enough for me. (take into account I drive a 1.3 litre jazz currently)

1 unique characteristic for the CX-5 is its fuel consumption. It is almost as good as my honda jazz.

Edited by Columbian78

I ever went showroom to look look see see, the car is alright but just the price is a little big high, and with Mazda OMV usually very low.

If compare to the same price bracket, Murano is a lot more luxurious and well built. But Murano already few years away from their last facelift. But that the reason Murano is selling at a much lower price to OMV than the CX-5.

Murano for me is a bigger class of SUV, so I could not compare or consider it. It does not have 2 litre version (checked on Tan chong) and it is priced much higher than CX-5. Why did you say it is in the same price bracket as CX-5? Even 2.5 vs 2.5 litre, the CX-5 is still much cheaper.

Neutral Newbie

I think the current CX-5 sold in Malaysia is assembled in Malaysia due to a joint manufacturing venture between Mazda and a Malaysian plant. This is why it can be priced attarctively there.

Some reviewers say the 2litre is underpowered. These reviewers typically say the same thing for other similar class 2 litre CUVs like CRV. However, many owners (in mazdas247 forum) say they do not understand why it is described as underpowered. A baseline CUV is not meant to be racy or fast. 2 litre felt good enough for me. (take into account I drive a 1.3 litre jazz currently)

1 unique characteristic for the CX-5 is its fuel consumption. It is almost as good as my honda jazz.

Yup you are right, cx5 is now a CKD model in msia and is 15k cheaper compared to the initial price when it was imported (but no longer equipped with sunroof n Bose audio system).

Certainly I do hope the FC is as good as what mazda claims, as we all know the official figures are almost impossible to achieve under normal driving condition. All my friends who drive or used to drive mazda cars said FC isn't mazda's strength. I hope the skyactiv works as it promises.

I'm an owner of the cx5 2FW luxury edition (AKA Grand Touring in USA/Europe).

so far clocked 11,000km since late Feb 13.

previous car - Toyota Mark X 2.5L V6.

Cars owned/driven: vios 1.5L, altis 1.6L, civic 1.8L, civic 2.0L, impreza 1.6L. CRV 2.0L, CRV 2.4L, Mark X 2.5L, and the list goes on...

I'm just doing a relative comparison with my previous car and the civic (1.8/2L), and sometimes a BMW 320i. To be fair, the civic is based on a much older platform (5 speed auto, no DI).

Power - The gearbox is very fast to shift up and highly efficient. shifting is very smooth, almost better than the 6 speed super ECT in Mark X. Like most autoboxes, there will be 'pockets of power gaps' for example when u slow down considerably at foot of slope then suddenly step in to accelerate up the slope.

0-100KM/h is 9.5sec, not kidding. I've tested this myself, and i get around 9.3 - 9.5sec. Technically speaking, its faster than a 1.8L civic (around 10.5sec) or even a 2.0L civic (around 9.8sec). All thanks to the high compression ratio engine and direct fuel injection system. Step on the pedal lightly (1.5-1.8k rpm), its more than good enough to move around in town. step in a little harder (around 2k rpm), I can already overtake most 1.6 - 2L cars easily in city driving.

In general, city driving feels not much diff from my Mark X. the car still feels torquey despite having a 1.5 ton body (base model with 17 inch rims, no BOSE is around 1.45 ton). When fully loaded (5 adults and full boot), the cx5 still feels lively! In the 2L civic case, I actually find it struggling hard to keep up with speed (despite having similar performance figures). Erm, pls don't try to bully a cx5 on the road if u see one, unless u have a TSI, twin scoll turbo or equivalent. Most NA cars will not be able to outrun a cx5 (and I'm talking about just the 2L version) unless its a type R, heavily souped up XXX car).

For high speed driving (>120km/h), this is where the cx5's power tapers off. and it struggles to accelerate beyond 120km/h. In the Mark X case, at 120km/h the V6 is just warming up at barely 2k rpm. Power just keeps coming in way beyond 120km/h. I guess that's the limitation of a 2L 4 cylinder... Not to say that its slow. In fact, I still find its acceleration faster than a 2.0L civic at higher speed.

From my readings at Msia cx5 FB group and ang moh cx5 forums, I think that the Skyactive engines are pretty sensitive to the engine oils used. Yes, Mazda says can use most kind of common engine oils (0-10 W 20/39 full syn), but I've been servicing mine at Mazda Sg since day 1 and I don't have any of the performance issues quoted by others. Maybe this is one of the negatives of this car.

Sound insulation - Sound insulation is very good at city speeds (<80km/h), comparable to my friend's BMW 320i (E90 and F30). Cabin is well insulated. Road noise is minimal despite the 19 inch wheels! In fact, I find that noise road insulation is even better than a 320i! Maybe because the cx5 is higher off the road?? At higher speeds (>100km/h), unfortunately the cx 5 suffers from significant wind noise. Hmmm, not many cars out there can still maintain the same sound insulation at speeds beyond 100km/h (less Mercs, BMW, Lexus...) Sound insulation was definitely better than the Mark X in all speeds.

Handling - IF anyone can find me a CUV with the same handling or driving dynamics at a similar price, I'll be glad to exchange my CX 5 with that! Seriously, its better than my stock Mark X in terms of body control and agility! Of course a BMW still rulez in this aspect!

Ride comfort - Seriously, its a lot more comfortable than a 320i (my fren who owns a F30 also agrees with this!) cabin is spacious and sits 5 comfortably (btw, I'm 1.7m, 100kg...) Seats are well bolstered and supportive, good for long journeys. driver's seat is 8 way electrical adjustable :) Ride is firm yet pliant on uneven roads. Vibration is kept to a minimum. Pretty solid ride, felt more like a continental car.

Fuel consumption - Yes! I was not able to achieve the 14.5km/L as specified in the specs! I was only able to achieve 13km/L in REAL world driving. [laugh] I do a mix of city and highway driving on a daily basis. This car doesn't suck up your petrol even in heavy jams. (unlike a twin scroll turbo... :D ) I find that this car works best with Esso 98 petrol. It gives the best mileage and engine smoothness. I think 98 is more suitable as this is a high compression engine, even though it can work with 95.

Negatives - The engine is not as refined as my Mark X's V6 (well, its a 4 cylinder anyway...). The civic's i-Vtec sounds more refined (but also feels more lethargic...). You might not wanna service this car at outside workshop as it uses a special blend of engine oil for Skyactive engines made by Mazda. I just did my 10k servicing and they put in semi-syn oil and 1L of special blend for me. Not sure what are the side effects if you were to use other engine oils. Good thing is, the FC so far has been fantastic!

Lastly, so far I have not experienced any issues (rattling, transmission problems, build quality, etc.) with my CX 5, like what were shared in Msia CX5 FB group (I'm a member there actually..) Mine's a fully MIJ model (Jan 13 production date)

Ok, that's all from me.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions.

Edited by Hanjg82
  • Praise 1

I'm an owner of the cx5 2FW luxury edition (AKA Grand Touring in USA/Europe).

so far clocked 11,000km since late Feb 13.

previous car - Toyota Mark X 2.5L V6.

Cars owned/driven: vios 1.5L, altis 1.6L, civic 1.8L, civic 2.0L, impreza 1.6L. CRV 2.0L, CRV 2.4L, Mark X 2.5L, and the list goes on...

I'm just doing a relative comparison with my previous car and the civic (1.8/2L), and sometimes a BMW 320i. To be fair, the civic is based on a much older platform (5 speed auto, no DI).

Power - The gearbox is very fast to shift up and highly efficient. shifting is very smooth, almost better than the 6 speed super ECT in Mark X. Like most autoboxes, there will be 'pockets of power gaps' for example when u slow down considerably at foot of slope then suddenly step in to accelerate up the slope.

0-100KM/h is 9.5sec, not kidding. I've tested this myself, and i get around 9.3 - 9.5sec. Technically speaking, its faster than a 1.8L civic (around 10.5sec) or even a 2.0L civic (around 9.8sec). All thanks to the high compression ratio engine and direct fuel injection system. Step on the pedal lightly (1.5-1.8k rpm), its more than good enough to move around in town. step in a little harder (around 2k rpm), I can already overtake most 1.6 - 2L cars easily in city driving.

In general, city driving feels not much diff from my Mark X. the car still feels torquey despite having a 1.5 ton body (base model with 17 inch rims, no BOSE is around 1.45 ton). When fully loaded (5 adults and full boot), the cx5 still feels lively! In the 2L civic case, I actually find it struggling hard to keep up with speed (despite having similar performance figures). Erm, pls don't try to bully a cx5 on the road if u see one, unless u have a TSI, twin scoll turbo or equivalent. Most NA cars will not be able to outrun a cx5 (and I'm talking about just the 2L version) unless its a type R, heavily souped up XXX car).

For high speed driving (>120km/h), this is where the cx5's power tapers off. and it struggles to accelerate beyond 120km/h. In the Mark X case, at 120km/h the V6 is just warming up at barely 2k rpm. Power just keeps coming in way beyond 120km/h. I guess that's the limitation of a 2L 4 cylinder... Not to say that its slow. In fact, I still find its acceleration faster than a 2.0L civic at higher speed.

From my readings at Msia cx5 FB group and ang moh cx5 forums, I think that the Skyactive engines are pretty sensitive to the engine oils used. Yes, Mazda says can use most kind of common engine oils (0-10 W 20/39 full syn), but I've been servicing mine at Mazda Sg since day 1 and I don't have any of the performance issues quoted by others. Maybe this is one of the negatives of this car.

Sound insulation - Sound insulation is very good at city speeds (<80km/h), comparable to my friend's BMW 320i (E90 and F30). Cabin is well insulated. Road noise is minimal despite the 19 inch wheels! In fact, I find that noise road insulation is even better than a 320i! Maybe because the cx5 is higher off the road?? At higher speeds (>100km/h), unfortunately the cx 5 suffers from significant wind noise. Hmmm, not many cars out there can still maintain the same sound insulation at speeds beyond 100km/h (less Mercs, BMW, Lexus...) Sound insulation was definitely better than the Mark X in all speeds.

Handling - IF anyone can find me a CUV with the same handling or driving dynamics at a similar price, I'll be glad to exchange my CX 5 with that! Seriously, its better than my stock Mark X in terms of body control and agility! Of course a BMW still rulez in this aspect!

Ride comfort - Seriously, its a lot more comfortable than a 320i (my fren who owns a F30 also agrees with this!) cabin is spacious and sits 5 comfortably (btw, I'm 1.7m, 100kg...) Seats are well bolstered and supportive, good for long journeys. driver's seat is 8 way electrical adjustable :) Ride is firm yet pliant on uneven roads. Vibration is kept to a minimum. Pretty solid ride, felt more like a continental car.

Fuel consumption - Yes! I was not able to achieve the 14.5km/L as specified in the specs! I was only able to achieve 13km/L in REAL world driving. [laugh] I do a mix of city and highway driving on a daily basis. This car doesn't suck up your petrol even in heavy jams. (unlike a twin scroll turbo... :D ) I find that this car works best with Esso 98 petrol. It gives the best mileage and engine smoothness. I think 98 is more suitable as this is a high compression engine, even though it can work with 95.

Negatives - The engine is not as refined as my Mark X's V6 (well, its a 4 cylinder anyway...). The civic's i-Vtec sounds more refined (but also feels more lethargic...). You might not wanna service this car at outside workshop as it uses a special blend of engine oil for Skyactive engines made by Mazda. I just did my 10k servicing and they put in semi-syn oil and 1L of special blend for me. Not sure what are the side effects if you were to use other engine oils. Good thing is, the FC so far has been fantastic!

Lastly, so far I have not experienced any issues (rattling, transmission problems, build quality, etc.) with my CX 5, like what were shared in Msia CX5 FB group (I'm a member there actually..) Mine's a fully MIJ model (Jan 13 production date)

Ok, that's all from me.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions.

Thanks for the review. CX 5 is also in my short list too. My wife is craving for a SUV though I am sedan guy.

Neutral Newbie

Tks bro Hanjg for the useful reply, that is very reassuring indeed. I recently test drive the new civic 2.0 and thought power was not bad at all, if the cx5 can equal or better that, it is certainly a good piece of news.

Tks bro Hanjg for the useful reply, that is very reassuring indeed. I recently test drive the new civic 2.0 and thought power was not bad at all, if the cx5 can equal or better that, it is certainly a good piece of news.

I was deciding between the civic 2L and Mark X last time. After I've tried the civic, I was pretty disappointed. I thought v-tec confirm is power one. [laugh] The truth is that the 2L version is really stretching the limits of that engine. U really need to put your foot down to squeeze the power out of it. Low end torque was bad coz I test drove it with my wife, and 2 friends (so plus agent is total 5 ppl). The car really got problem moving. I find the 1.8L civic is more worth buying. You pay less road tax and get about the same power (the diff only shows when u do high speed driving). Of course the Mark X totally owns the civic with the V6 [:p] BTW, the 6 speed Super ECT gearbox on the Mark X made its debut in japan in 2004 (10 yrs ago!)

Civic has a pretty light steering but its accurate, though doesn't offer much feedback (same as CRV...) Doesn't offer a very engaging drive. well, its more of a family sedan car anyway. The cx5 has pretty much more than enough power for our sg roads. I've been getting impatient with how slow drivers in sg are getting these days! :angry:

Edited by Hanjg82

Thanks Hanjg82 for your sharing.

Is yours the older or newer version? I understand from US mazdas247 forum there is 2013 and 2014 version. Other than the engine options, I think 2014 version has i-stop and the engine cover is black (2013 version has standard blue engine cover for all the different car colours). They also corrected some niggling issues (comon complaints in the forum) like hood and side mirror vibrations. I remember in July when I peeped under the hood of the showcar at Mazda Ubi, the engine cover was black. So I think the version sold here now is the newer version.

↡ Advertisement