Open letter urges PM,Minister to improve road safety

Yellowrx8

Open letter urges PM, Minister to improve road safety for cyclists

blog-bikeaccident-jpg_054242.jpg

The death of a cyclist who was killed after a lorry hit him on Saturday has prompted calls for greater safety on roads. (AFP file photo)

An avid cyclist has written an impassioned open letter to Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew, repeating a growing call for a 1.5-metre lane to be set aside for road cyclists.

↡ Advertisement

He should start by educating those 死clist. they are endangering their own life by riding on the road in a certain way.

Edited by Assaxefour

it takes both hands to clap.... and I don't see cyclists caring for themselves

a drive around fort road will prove that..... and we are not talking about those bangalas or prc that cycle to work

Time for the road cyclists to roll-out the statistics and argue that road cycling is safer than commuting by car now just to satisfy themselves that they are not putting themselves at risk.

Supposedly "safe" road for road cycling? Tick.

Supposedly "safe" timing for road cycling? Tick.

Experienced biker travelling in convey and alert to traffic? By all reports, yes, Freddy was a veteran rider with many years of experience under his belt. Tick.

But all these mitigating, safety factors in the favour of road cyclist simply cannot compare against one fact:

Reckless lorry driver, which was probably unlicensed, driving dangerously, sleepy or plain blind? Tick.

One bang and that's it.

Damn bloody sad, had a close friend who moved on from this life in the same way, and people can argue all they want, but such accidents are avoidable as long as people accept the simple fact that road cycling is DANGEROUS and stay away from it.

You can't control your environment but you sure as heck can control your choices....

And this letter is simply barking up the wrong tree.. I reiterate, the majority of road users and car drivers are not the main threat to road cyclists... it is the proliferation of reckless and unqualified (licensed maybe not certainly not qualified) drivers operating commercial vehicles and heavy vehicles that are mowing down road cyclists. One impact from such vehicles and it's usually serious injury or death.

Do you think these jokers will even bother about any sort of road markings or cyclist lanes? Stop kidding yourself and face up to the facts.

Most cyclist thought they are King of Road/pavements...

U should see most of them cross the zebra crossing n traffics lights...

I nearly hit one of them by crossing the zebra crossing with a speed of light...

Lucky I managed to stop in time...when horn he showed be middle finger...TMD!!!

Although I dun like the lorry and truck driver in most cases, however, not paying extra care while cycling is endangering one's own life.

these cyclists darn good la. when light in favor of vehicles, they are vehicles. When lights in favor of pedestrians, they become pedestrians.

It is not balanced to put oneself in harm's way and yet take zero responsibility when accidents happen. Some accidents may be motorists' fault, but some are also cyclists' fault. What are the cyclists doing about that? How about an open letter by cyclists, to other cyclists? Given the vastly different travelling speeds, cyclists knowingly take on disproportionate risks, but want zero blame. How can?

these cyclists darn good la. when light in favor of vehicles, they are vehicles. When lights in favor of pedestrians, they become pedestrians.

true true.

seen quite a few.

And this letter is simply barking up the wrong tree.. I reiterate, the majority of road users and car drivers are not the main threat to road cyclists... it is the proliferation of reckless and unqualified (licensed maybe not certainly not qualified) drivers operating commercial vehicles and heavy vehicles that are mowing down road cyclists. One impact from such vehicles and it's usually serious injury or death.

Do you think these jokers will even bother about any sort of road markings or cyclist lanes? Stop kidding yourself and face up to the facts.

Ya, i have one meeting with such driver, i give him the finger, but i bet he don't feel a thing being an oblivious ass that is their "kind".

Go to the gym.

Go ride the bicycle there whole day long.

No lorry will come to kill you.

But of coz it's not nice in the gym, they like the great outdoors.

↡ Advertisement