Car scrap & body value

Turbonetics

Pardon my ignorance, when u send your car to scrap, do they actually give u a better price if the car condition is still very good? For eg, engine tip-top, air con super cold, gearbox very smooth etc etc. I thought they only quote you the market price for the car body at that point of time regardless of the condition of the car? Or unless it's for export? [confused]

They will tell you "nowaday too many scrap car available"..."so your car will be dismantled for scrap metal" "blah blah blah"...offer you $500 take it of leave it.

After you agreed, they said they will buy over your car..so you don't have to wait for LTA refund which might take a long time. (sound like doing you a favour)..

So..they will give you a cheque based on your car scrap value+$500...you sign the letter of transfer.

After that, they will touch up your car and export it at a bigger profit margin.

So....If your car is in very good condition, going to a exporting agent will definitely get more $$$ than going to scrap yard.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

They will tell you "nowaday too many scrap car available"..."so your car will be dismantled for scrap metal" "blah blah blah"...offer you $500 take it of leave it.

After you agreed, they said they will buy over your car..so you don't have to wait for LTA refund which might take a long time. (sound like doing you a favour)..

So..they will give you a cheque based on your car scrap value+$500...you sign the letter of transfer.

After that, they will touch up your car and export it at a bigger profit margin.

So....If your car is in very good condition, going to a exporting agent will definitely get more $$$ than going to scrap yard.

We know of this but there's nothing we can do about it

Possible to export the car yourself?

• Praise 1

Pardon my ignorance, when u send your car to scrap, do they actually give u a better price if the car condition is still very good? For eg, engine tip-top, air con super cold, gearbox very smooth etc etc. I thought they only quote you the market price for the car body at that point of time regardless of the condition of the car? Or unless it's for export? [confused]

wana knw 2, when reach scrapyard & wil dekit ď seat, it's k? since scrapyin they onli need ď body rite

usually left hw many months wil ask 4 scrap value or can exported anot huuh?

• Praise 1

Scrapped my lancer cs3 this year May for $700.

The guy din even bother to see my car parked opposite LTA, just passed me the cash straight before de-registration..

Edited by ArcticExplorer
  • Praise 1

Thats why to avoid such things what i do is ill be very direct,if export ill tell u export and if complete knock downs..i will tell u complete knock down..of course in order,pass u the cash and straight away go together with u to dereg the vehicle at lta..and once dereg car must already be at the yard or export zone..im very transparent in the procedure.. but through one of the dealers here said,customers hard to please,give more money also not happy,give less also not happy.. im also quite done with people here in this forum..
  • Praise 1

Thats why to avoid such things what i do is ill be very direct,if export ill tell u export and if complete knock downs..i will tell u complete knock down..of course in order,pass u the cash and straight away go together with u to dereg the vehicle at lta..and once dereg car must already be at the yard or export zone..im very transparent in the procedure.. but through one of the dealers here said,customers hard to please,give more money also not happy,give less also not happy.. im also quite done with people here in this forum..

Not quite sure what your rant above is about. Care to clarify? Are you coming from the perspective of the dealer, exporter, owner, or scrapper?

hi

Optra Estate 1.6A

Any recent transaction for this model? Price indication if any.

COE ending very soon.

Thanks

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Scrapped my lancer cs3 this year May for $700.

The guy din even bother to see my car parked opposite LTA, just passed me the cash straight before de-registration..

May I know where did u get the quote from?

I'm going to srcap my cs3 as well.

• Praise 1

Hi my car is left with 3mths.

May i know if i scrap my car now, do i need to pay for all the loan first b4 i do it or i can scrap already then settle the remaining loan? 

Anyone can recomend where to scrap?

• Praise 1

Hi all,

Driving a Honda Jazz 1.4 (grey color) (due next year May 2018). 

Mileage = 250000km. 

Car was mainly used to transport kids to and fro school and work too therefore high mileage. 

A few scratches here and there. 

Any advice on scrap value? 

Appreciate the feedback. 

• Praise 1

Info for the record ----$300

hi

Optra Estate 1.6A

Any recent transaction for this model? Price indication if any.

COE ending very soon.

Thanks

There are basically 3 main things you can do when your car's COE is expiring soon.

You can either scrap it directly with a scrapyard, sell it to an exporter to export overseas, or sell it to a dealer who will renew the COE for resale. If your car's COE still has more than 6 months left, there is even a 4th option in the recent years, as some rental companies may buy your car to rent it to Uber/Grab drivers. 

Of course, scrapping directly fetches you the lowest $$$ compared to all the other options, as the scrapyard will most likely offer you a few hundreds for the scrap metal. However, finding the exporter, or dealer who is willing to renew your car's COE and resell it, is a combination of timing and luck. The only way, is to reach out to as many exporters/dealers out there, and hope that they are looking for your car make and model, at that point of time. But the $$$ difference can potentially be $1000-$2000 difference and may be worth your time if you are free. :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1