China 'ToFu' Construction

Tohto

There are many china construction company here, will it happen here ^_^

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1221903/1/.html

BEIJING: Three people were killed and five injured when an eight-lane bridge in northeast China collapsed early on Friday, only nine months after it opened, state media said.

The bridge, part of an airport expressway in Harbin city, only opened last November after two years of construction that cost 1.9 billion yuan ($300 million), China News Service reported.

A 100-metre (320-foot) section broke off when four heavy trucks drove onto the bridge, plunging them to the ground, said a CCTV news reporter at the scene. The bridge was designed to handle up to 9,800 vehicles per hour.

Two people were killed on the spot, a third died later, and five remain in hospital.

"To break after apparently just under a year of operation, for sure there is a problem," said Huang Yi, spokesman for the State Work Safety Administration, which operates under the State Council, akin to a national cabinet.

The official Xinhua news agency said at least six major bridges have collapsed across the country since July last year, and that shoddy construction and over-loading were to blame.

China has rapidly expanded its road and rail infrastructure over the past decade as its economy has boomed, but critics say that safety has sometimes been overlooked in the rush to develop.

At least 40 people were killed when two high-speed trains collided near the eastern city of Wenzhou in July last year, and another train crash on Thursday in Heilongjiang province, where Harbin is located, left at least 24 people injured.

Authorities investigating Friday's incident will look into the bridge design and construction as well as the truck loads, the Harbin government said in a statement.

Thousands of people commented on the collapse on Sina Weibo, a popular Twitter-like service, with most blaming corruption.

"Just imagine, some corrupt official takes four-fifths of the project funds, that means the project manager can only make money by skimping on the job," said one user.

"I really want to yell at someone," said another. "Seeing the pictures is so tragic."

-AFP/ac

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement

very difficult

hawker food

restaurant

ntuc supermarket

9/10 items and ingredents imported from china

Frankly...even food...I trying not to buy import from China....

You can try not to buy things from China. But how are you to ensure that things you eat in the restaurant, hawker centers, food Courts are not from China since most of us nowadays had our meals in these places more often than we cook at home.

Hypersonic

The problem with China is not with manpower or the lack of skills or technologies. It is greed... more specifically corruption. Bulk of the money for construction goes into the pockets of the high ranked. Until they can solve their interal problems, China wll always be producing lousy products.

Its too early to pre judge where is or are the causes problems.

It could be serious of events and a catalyst actor that trigger the collapse.

Now that all the hard evidences are on scene, there is no running away from it.

A convoy of overloaded trucks, design fault, construction defects, etc.

Let's see the preliminary official words.

its hard lah... nowadays, everything its either made, process, packed, assembled in China.... even if a product is made of other countries, you can expect the content, or packing, or material & etc is from China.... How to avoid??

There are many china construction company here, will it happen here ^_^

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1221903/1/.html

BEIJING: Three people were killed and five injured when an eight-lane bridge in northeast China collapsed early on Friday, only nine months after it opened, state media said.

The bridge, part of an airport expressway in Harbin city, only opened last November after two years of construction that cost 1.9 billion yuan ($300 million), China News Service reported.

A 100-metre (320-foot) section broke off when four heavy trucks drove onto the bridge, plunging them to the ground, said a CCTV news reporter at the scene. The bridge was designed to handle up to 9,800 vehicles per hour.

Two people were killed on the spot, a third died later, and five remain in hospital.

"To break after apparently just under a year of operation, for sure there is a problem," said Huang Yi, spokesman for the State Work Safety Administration, which operates under the State Council, akin to a national cabinet.

The official Xinhua news agency said at least six major bridges have collapsed across the country since July last year, and that shoddy construction and over-loading were to blame.

China has rapidly expanded its road and rail infrastructure over the past decade as its economy has boomed, but critics say that safety has sometimes been overlooked in the rush to develop.

At least 40 people were killed when two high-speed trains collided near the eastern city of Wenzhou in July last year, and another train crash on Thursday in Heilongjiang province, where Harbin is located, left at least 24 people injured.

Authorities investigating Friday's incident will look into the bridge design and construction as well as the truck loads, the Harbin government said in a statement.

Thousands of people commented on the collapse on Sina Weibo, a popular Twitter-like service, with most blaming corruption.

"Just imagine, some corrupt official takes four-fifths of the project funds, that means the project manager can only make money by skimping on the job," said one user.

"I really want to yell at someone," said another. "Seeing the pictures is so tragic."

-AFP/ac

I think I may have found the secret identity of captain obvious!

On a serious note, the bridge actually looks more sturdy than some of the bridges I seen in Shanghai! I seen ample lights secure using very DIY methods like clamps in Shanghai. Just imagine the smaller cities.

Btw, I did not know it cost so much to build a bridge in China, considering the low labor cost & probably material as well.

Do you mean especially food. Because that would be probably the first thing on people list of what not to buy from China.

But like people said, hard to avoid, but buying product from China that is from an MNC companies should be much safer, due to QC.

Do you mean especially food. Because that would be probably the first thing on people list of what not to buy from China.

But like people said, hard to avoid, but buying product from China that is from an MNC companies should be much safer, due to QC.

Mostly home cook by maid....I will choose veg from Singapore or Malaysia....if can food.....strictly avoid China made....of cos dine out is hard to avoid....at least I limit the % of risk....whenever home food are cooked...

China 'ToFu' Construction..yup..been happening..also singapore have but susshed...i think.

the self pride of china, has now been a self depreciating pride...only can luff at them..what for..? give them pride to zao taa... u cannot no brainer with them..cos they the whole world...big head...and they can be disgustingly bigger head..in a disgustingly way..so stylo..rite [cool]

just avoid buying foods from local PRC brands, thats the best we can do.

normally international brands whether food or electronic although made in china, have better quality control i believe.

↡ Advertisement