Crowds flock back to car showrooms

MacDuck

car prices also never drop much after the quota announcement. any sane person would take a wait and see approach. for the ultra rich, any time is good time to buy car

as the topic, did anyone visit car showrooms in past 2 days?

under new COE quota 42% increased, it should be crowd [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

If I follow the 2020 theory, then I should renew pqp 5yrs, which would see me to early 2021.

Add that my omv only <11k.

Wait... 2020 may coincide with the change of command. [grin]

Edited by Baal

why cant these ppl just hold back the showroom visits and purchase of cars till few more rounds of COEs (perhaps until yr end), so that car prices will be push further down with the COE price slide....really these ppl are just goondoos, go in now and drive the price up to the previous level and come back to the square one again.

Even if somehow "these people" hold back and COE drops some more, then even MORE ppl will start coming in to buy - even those who don't really need a new car (eg. those whose cars are still quite new), upon seeing the low COE decide to capitalise on it as they know it will eventually rebound will start coming in. A high pressure latent demand builds up. And then, when the floodgates open (i.e. when they stop holding back), these "backlog" orders will flood the market and push the COE until high high again.

Basically COE pits buyers against buyers. For buyers who don't mind paying a bit more, they don't need COE to drop so much before they enter the market. For those who want it to drop further, well, they may lose out. This is simply market forces and consumer behaviour - it's impossible for buyers to all collude to make COE lower as due to scarcity of limited quota of COEs and high desirability of having a new car, it is every man/woman for himself/herself in a competition to secure COEs - it's certainly not about "being goondu".

It's like telling contractors tendering for jobs to collude and all tender high figure instead of undercutting each other - will never happen cos all of them vying for the job. Or try telling property developers not to bid so much for land parcels so that condo price can come down. None of these will work because demand >> supply.

car prices also never drop much after the quota announcement. any sane person would take a wait and see approach. for the ultra rich, any time is good time to buy car

Dun have to be rich. For ppl who have completed their financial commitment and have made money in properties before the restrictions they will be able to buy car now.

For housing properties you can adopt the "wait and see", for cars once coe is going to expire you cannot wait any longer or rather you dun have that luxury to wait. The decision to change car must be fast and early else when the chance comes all those waiting & seeing will chiong, drive up price again. LLST.

No need to wait and see coz LTA is obviously holding back to correct their mistake 10 years ago of letting go too many quota. Now they will hold back and later distribute cautiously . We won't be seeing a surge in quota or drop too much in prices.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

agreed.. LTA will not release the COE caused it will further congest the current traffic...

they will continue to promote the use of public transport and hold on to the COE..

maybe they will release the additional COE when economy not doing so well.... so as to bring down the car price and invoke buying sentiments...

agreed.. LTA will not release the COE caused it will further congest the current traffic...

they will continue to promote the use of public transport and hold on to the COE..

maybe they will release the additional COE when economy not doing so well.... so as to bring down the car price and invoke buying sentiments...

anyone visited car showroom this weekend?

crowd or lifeless [:p]

Turbocharged

aiya dan later when too many cars on the road, coe will go back sky high again... LPPL

u quoted a 2012 article...

• Praise 1

I didn't visit the showroom but earlier I passed by leng kee, already saw 2 people test drive Nissan and Toyota car

so should be more people in showroom

I didn't visit the showroom but earlier I passed by leng kee, already saw 2 people test drive Nissan and Toyota car

so should be more people in showroom

now Singaporean become more saner than before, even if COE drop so much, still to be not disturbed with others, [thumbsup]

u quoted a 2012 article...

This just goes to show how the market is cyclical and relative. Last time 50,000 was expensive, now 60,000 is cheap. Any wind blow grass move and the whole village flocks to the showrooms. If I had not seen the article date, the article could have easily applied to yesterday's situation.

last time hdb $500k was crazy

now hdb $500k is acceptable

same goes to coe

willing seller willing buyer

• Praise 4

Supercharged

I was having lunch at Boon tong kee..

Opposite car showroom... not many people....

... maybe their collection is not interesting.

Supercharged

it doesn't mean people would start to buy car when the COE drops.

well, i think the govt is trying to bring up some domestic sales figure when the general market sentiments is sort of slower.

economy is bad lately. han cheng pai -_-

it boils down to hw desperate they need the car.

if everyone dun buy car, i'm sure the seller will be desperate to sell. then it will be the time to make the kill. :)

I went to ubi automobile 2-3 days, i only see sales people, no buyer. Sales people sitting down waiting mosquitoes to bite him

When new cars enjoy brisk sales, then used cars will eat grass

↡ Advertisement