Want to buy medical insurance but ....

Ysc3

Just stick to your original plan. Be thankful at least u have some insurance coverage.

Regarding getting it excluded from your pre-existing illness, i doubt many doctors will label u as no more hypertension

l think like what they're saying, get better from your HBP then have it removed from pre-existing conditions.

HBP usually results from congenital defects of adrenal glands, glomerulonephritis, haematuria, or even diabetes mellitus (including non-congenital Type 2 DM).

For such non-chronic cases, there is no "cure" and you'd be on long term HBP medication ... e.g. beta-blockers.

But for chronic HBP resulting from high cholesterol / tri-glycerides in blood, these can be mitigated (even "cured") through the use of statins and dietary restrictions.

Edited by Timbuktu

Neutral Newbie

just confused

if we have medishield

when we buy private hospital and surgery insurance

are we not helping the private insurance to pay less when and if we are hospitalised

just confused

if we have medishield

are we not helping the private insurance to pay less when and if we are hospitalised

private medical plans

- some cover from first dollar up

- some allow you to go to private hospital

- some allow you to stay in better wards

- some cover you 24hr worldwide

So are you helping yourself or helping the insurer ?

usually medishield has lower coverage and is enough if one stays in lowest class. But if you require better care, then not adequate

Edited by Othello

Twincharged

But you still have your original GE plan, no?

yup ... the co-payment plan ... cannot upgrade without additional clauses.

Ok mah. You are considered covered. Better than those who are not.

Copayment comes up to abt 10-20% of the bill? Imagine if you have to cover the other 80-90%.

just confused

if we have medishield

What are you trying to say?

Shield plans from private insurers are integrated with basic Medishield. You cannot have Shield plan without having basic Medishield

yup ... the co-payment plan ... cannot upgrade without additional clauses.

Ysc3, there is still a chance that GE may accept you for Totalshield that covers the co-payment in future. GE is the insurer that is the most lenient in terms of HBP. However, you must take medications regularly to keep your HBP in check. I assume you will have regular checkups with your doctor right? Then all these medical reports can be used for underwriting/ application into Totalshield in future should your BP readings have been consistent and under control for some time.

Twincharged

Ysc3, there is still a chance that GE may accept you for Totalshield that covers the co-payment in future. GE is the insurer that is the most lenient in terms of HBP. However, you must take medications regularly to keep your HBP in check. I assume you will have regular checkups with your doctor right? Then all these medical reports can be used for underwriting/ application into Totalshield in future should your BP readings have been consistent and under control for some time.

my agent did a proposal for me but GE required that i go get a report and then maybe need another medical checkup - and this does not guarantee acceptance somemore .... and i have to foot the report and med bills myself.

i bought the policy about 10 years ago before i got diagnosed with HBP ... and now want to upgrade so troublesome.

but my AIA one lagi best ... outright reject my application !! [laugh] [laugh]

as for Aviva, the agent suggested me to stick to my current plan after a talk.

yup! Stick with your plan.

then, to plan further, buy my plan.....takes care of you beyond life [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

What are you trying to say?

Shield plans from private insurers are integrated with basic Medishield. You cannot have Shield plan without having basic Medishield

if we have basic medishield already, is it stupid to buy other private insurance (hospital and surgery) like from NTUC and etc

if we have basic medishield already, is it stupid to buy other private insurance (hospital and surgery) like from NTUC and etc

as I pointed out earlier, there are differences as private shield plans usually have wider coverage + cater for pte hospitals... If you can afford it and have no medical condition, you should upgrade. Always get the best you can afford now, in future if premiums get more expensive you can then do a plan downgrade.

All shield plans (Medishield + pte) have co-insurance and deductible. You might want to consider getting etra coverage to cover this portion.

For me, I have Supremehealth & a stand alone H&S plan (No deductible, no co-insurance).

Talk to your insurance agent, if he is half decent - will be able to advise you further.

Edited by Othello

Twincharged

yup ... all the basic plans all will cover partial payment only ... so if can use medisave pay for extra coverage, why not ?

just look at the elder-shield program ... the basic one from govt ... really no point buying.

but as i read somewhere, if one is really struck by the 3 of the required disabilities, chances are that he/she will not be able to reap the claims payout for an extended period of time.

so in the end, i did not buy.

once u take up private insurnace, your basic medishield is terminated..

it isn't stupid to buy private insurance. For example, i bought NTUC income Enhanced Incomeshield (H &S) with plus rider. 1st dollar coverage onwards. No deductible and co-insurance. but its has been withdrawn from the market le.

Twincharged

bopian ... ppl are liddat ... just like me ... when i was fit and healthy, i will shun away from insurance agents .... but now when they hear about my condition, they stay away from me !!?? [laugh] [laugh]!!

just have to learn the hard way.

once u take up private insurnace, your basic medishield is terminated..

it isn't stupid to buy private insurance. For example, i bought NTUC income Enhanced Incomeshield (H &S) with plus rider. 1st dollar coverage onwards. No deductible and co-insurance. but its has been withdrawn from the market le.

Just a clarification. Basic medishield is NOT terminated. Privated integrated shield is on top of the basic medishield, hence the name 'integrated' . Part of the premiums from paying the integrated shield plan goes to paying for basic Medishield. However, the good news is , you do not have to worry about claiming from both sides as the insurer will reimburses the amount that you are covered, and then claim back from CPF board for the basic medishield.

Basic Medishield is often inadequate for hospitalization coverage as the table limits are very little and lifetime benefit is capped while shield plans have unlimited lifetime benefit. Always good to buy when you are healthy, if not if there is a pre-existing illness, then may excluse this excluse that or have loading or can't even buy in.

@ysc3 What i meant was, in future, you will be going for regular appointment /checkup with your doctor for your HBP followup right? those future reports can be used for application for Totalshield next time.

Twincharged

@ysc3 What i meant was, in future, you will be going for regular appointment /checkup with your doctor for your HBP followup right? those future reports can be used for application for Totalshield next time.

i think that was what my GE agent wanted to do for me ... submitted a proposal but GE wanted me to go get a current medical report (pay myself $80?) and then not guarantee can accept somemore ... that's why i refused to do it.

anyway, i am ready to switch to whichever ins coy which will overlook my HBP condition and accept me without any exclusion clauses.

no checkups, period. unless the ins want to foot the bill.

↡ Advertisement