Which GPS to buy?

Vtim

Hi, existing Marbella inav 610, after using 3 years, the plastic cover starting to melt, intend to get a new GPS, Amy recommenation , just need a no frill unit without special function

↡ Advertisement

Oh, very value for money leh, may consider this one also. The lifetime map update include LTA one?

take note. .bought mine garmin from eastgear with free unlimited map update. now since they shift to new place no more free update.

anyway why is marbella good to use in Malaysia? mine have to tikam most of the time in Malaysia.

Supercharged

anyway why is marbella good to use in Malaysia? mine have to tikam most of the time in Malaysia.

What you mean by "tikam" ??

take note. .bought mine garmin from eastgear with free unlimited map update. now since they shift to new place no more free update.

wah,,,, you reply to my 2012 post [laugh]

What you mean by "tikam" ??

"tikam" - try your luck

wah,,,, you reply to my 2012 post [laugh]

"tikam" - try your luck

better late then never.....

but notice some bros like to use their phone as GPS....just take note when travelling to north not idea as it incurred data charges

you can use offline maps like from sygic and here.

better late then never.....

but notice some bros like to use their phone as GPS....just take note when travelling to north not idea as it incurred data charges

Supercharged

Could be those phone have built-in GPS, so its no using data charge.

Some phones do have such a feature.

Supercharged

you can use offline maps like from sygic and here.

Ya, Sygic good enough. Got me whether I wanted to go in Pontian couple weeks ago. Me got limited data plan.

Edited by Kklim

Ya, Sygic good enough. Got me whether I wanted to go in Pontian couple weeks ago. Me got limited data plan.

But how u know ur location without GPS tracking?

If u have the map software installed in your phone, then you can turn on gps to navigate using phone. There is no need for data or roaming data.

if you using google map with gps, then you need data or roaming data as google need internet connection to download and display map layout as you move.

above is based on what i understood.

• Praise 1

Almost all smartphones have GPS. For navigation, you need app, for offline maps, you can download. It works flawlessly unless you are talking about off the beaten path use (which you can mark and track), then of course you need professional series of Garmin that easily costs $600-700 (not all models are capable though).

Then again, we are discussing about general use like driving on paved roads and motorways; not trail riding into the bushes.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

got a question abt using google map on my LG phone. does it need data to work? n if need to, i can save the map. so if im going kl, do i jus search the place im going then save?

i had only used google map in my old samsung once. when searching for the location, it required me to have connection, but apparently no data was used as my bill didnt hv any xtra data charges.

got a question abt using google map on my LG phone. does it need data to work? n if need to, i can save the map. so if im going kl, do i jus search the place im going then save?

i had only used google map in my old samsung once. when searching for the location, it required me to have connection, but apparently no data was used as my bill didnt hv any xtra data charges.

You can get off line maps from Here Beta and Mapfactor. They are just as good.

Supercharged

Open Sygic and it'll sense and display where you are. Enter destination street address or GPS coordinates, choose navigate and it'll display the route to get to where you want to go. 7-day trial version has all the features: audio guidance, lane markings, speed limit, etc. After that, if you don't purchase, you can continue to use it but without the fancy stuff. Good enough for me. BTW Singapore and Malaysia maps are bundled together.

Turbocharged

Google map have a offline mode. You have to download the map before going for the trip. Just browse over the area you're navigating, it'll load into the phone. Then when you're there, since it's pre-loaded, no need Internet connection to load again.

I said this before. GPS is free. But the map need Internet connection to load. Navigation GPS apps has huge size megabyte is because you are basically downloading the entire country map (eg west malaysia).

Waze and Google map on the other hand only load instantaneously when you're there, that's why need constant internet connection to work. They also have offline mode as I've described above, but is limited.

Ok...so means when im still in spore, i can search for my malaysia destination N save the map. Once enter msia the map will cont to navigate w/o data as map is already saved. Correct?

Not too sure about Google Maps now. In the past, it's limited to certain perimeter area only. So, if you are driving from SIN to KUL, you just cannot open KUL area alone, you need to open up all areas long your journey, i.e. Johor, Malacca, KUL....

Ok...so means when im still in spore, i can search for my malaysia destination N save the map. Once enter msia the map will cont to navigate w/o data as map is already saved. Correct?

↡ Advertisement