Which GPS to buy?

Vtim

Bought the Garmin 65LM recently for about $181 through a friend, local set.

Love the big 6" screen, its even bigger than my Pioneer headunit. [thumbsup]

Garmin%2065%20LM%202%20v2_zpsocjymrw2.jp

↡ Advertisement

Fans of the old Nokia Maps should be happy to know that the app is still being kept alive by Nokia Apps LLC and is available for download on Android here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en

The name of the app has been changed to 'Here'.

The app is still free. The interface is simple and includes traffic updates.

After installing it a few months ago, I have so far been prompted to update my downloaded offline maps 3 times and application update twice. This goes to show that they are still maintaining the app.

For myself, I've been using it offline for my trips up north. It's been really helpful when driving on long stretches of unlit b roads there.

Hope that you guys will give it a try to show it some support.

Thanks!

Not sure about the Android or iOS version, but for WP version where here originated from, it is getting worse with every updates. Search function is not working well sometimes without data, directions given is always wrong and it has its mind of its own - keep changing instructions. (Maybe the recalculation is too fast, but inaccurate [sly] )

Fans of the old Nokia Maps should be happy to know that the app is still being kept alive by Nokia Apps LLC and is available for download on Android here.

After installing it a few months ago, I have so far been prompted to update my downloaded offline maps 3 times and application update twice. This goes to show that they are still maintaining the app.

For myself, I've been using it offline for my trips up north. It's been really helpful when driving on long stretches of unlit b roads there.

Thanks!

Not sure about the Android or iOS version, but for WP version where here originated from, it is getting worse with every updates. Search function is not working well sometimes without data, directions given is always wrong and it has its mind of its own - keep changing instructions. (Maybe the recalculation is too fast, but inaccurate [sly] )

For Adroid just got promoted from Beta to Live.

(edited)

Thanks!

I tried to update my Nokia Maps on my Nokia phone N8 but it says I am having the most updated version which is Dec 2013. It does not have MCE in its map. So I have stopped using it. [shakehead]

Edited by Adrianli

I tried to update my Nokia Maps on my Nokia phone N8 but it says I am having the most updated version which is Dec 2013. It does not have MCE in its map. So I have stopped using it. [shakehead]

Bro Adrianli, I remember reading on their blog that they have stopped support for Symbian OS due to 'skeletal adoption' of the OS by mobile users.

BTW, I retired the use of N8 4 years ago :D

Hi,

It's time to get a GPS but not for local use. more for overseas road trip, because everytime have to rent the GPS that cost more than a set.

Are all GPS loadable with worldwide map or only certain GPS are limited to certain country's map?

And which one inexpensive yet reliable should I focus on?

thanks

Hi,

It's time to get a GPS but not for local use. more for overseas road trip, because everytime have to rent the GPS that cost more than a set.

Are all GPS loadable with worldwide map or only certain GPS are limited to certain country's map?

And which one inexpensive yet reliable should I focus on?

thanks

depends on which country u frequent...

i do own a australia/nz set which i bot for abt 100aud... crucially... LIFETIME free update..

Google maps is convenient if u know exactly where u want to go etc... since i am the more free and easy style... the ''nearby xxx'' function really useful for me

• Praise 1

For general use on paved roads, phone GPS is more than good enough.

If you're going off tracks, hiking, dirt bike trailing on uncharted paths, then you may need professional grade GPS which cost around $7-800 without maps.

Yup, for street roaming, usually I use my iphone google maps. but for driving I still prefer a GPS unit which is much easier to use.

I'm looking for a unit that can download US, Europe, NZ, Australia, Nordic countries maps.. can all GPS do it? I'm noob to it

Yup, for street roaming, usually I use my iphone google maps. but for driving I still prefer a GPS unit which is much easier to use.

I'm looking for a unit that can download US, Europe, NZ, Australia, Nordic countries maps.. can all GPS do it? I'm noob to it

To know which unit is easier to use is to try it out. Garmin unit has the widest choice of MAP.

When i was travelling in Melbourne, i only use Google Map for routing. There is no diff btw standalone unit & iphone (most of the time).

By the way, i use Waze most of the time in Singapore even from office to home.

Buy the cheapest Lumia phone and you get free here maps and here drive+ Most maps are there except Japan.

Can use it as a backup phone or travel phone on prepaid SIM too.

Use one stone kills two birds.

Edited by Kangadrool

Buy the cheapest Lumia phone and you get free here maps and here drive+ Most maps are there except Japan.

Can use it as a backup phone or travel phone on prepaid SIM too.

Use one stone kills two birds.

But phone goes by assisted GPS, means using data or mobile signal base station instead of GPS satellite, correct me if I'm wrong.

For Lumia, you can download the required maps and use the drive+ navigator without data.

If scared data usage, prior to trip, on data/wifi and do the necessary search and favourites saving first.

But phone goes by assisted GPS, means using data or mobile signal base station instead of GPS satellite, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

You are correct, phones connect via A-GPS, but A-GPS coordinates with an actual GPS transceiver as well.

That is to say, a (or at least, most) phone can navigate purely via satellite without A-GPS, if you disable A-GPS or disable mobile data.

The catch is that it is usually much slower to lock-on in this fashion and accuracy may suffer substantially. You can try it with your existing devices to see if it works sufficiently for you. A dedicated GPS unit is often much faster and accurate in this regard.

The advantage of using a smartphone for navigation though is its ability to access internet at leisure (well, under the appropriate circumstances of course) for quick map updates (Google Maps is usually very up-to-the-now) or traffic updates and live community updates (requires data connection, but Waze for example can immediately notify you of traffic incidents reported by other users).

The average proper GPS however should include TMC (Traffic Message Channel) support, which receives special information regarding traffic incidents via dedicated channel. If supported they should also be able to provide some level of reporting (i.e. displaying the incidents to you) or, if especially clever, automatically route past the problem.

Edited by 7hm

You are correct, phones connect via A-GPS, but A-GPS coordinates with an actual GPS transceiver as well.

That is to say, a (or at least, most) phone can navigate purely via satellite without A-GPS, if you disable A-GPS or disable mobile data.

The catch is that it is usually much slower to lock-on in this fashion and accuracy may suffer substantially. You can try it with your existing devices to see if it works sufficiently for you. A dedicated GPS unit is often much faster and accurate in this regard.

The advantage of using a smartphone for navigation though is its ability to access internet at leisure (well, under the appropriate circumstances of course) for quick map updates (Google Maps is usually very up-to-the-now) or traffic updates and live community updates (requires data connection, but Waze for example can immediately notify you of traffic incidents reported by other users).

The average proper GPS however should include TMC (Traffic Message Channel) support, which receives special information regarding traffic incidents via dedicated channel. If supported they should also be able to provide some level of reporting (i.e. displaying the incidents to you) or, if especially clever, automatically route past the problem.

Are you sure it is slower to lock on?

Are you sure it is accuracy will suffer?

Using Map.me, i put iphone 6S to airplane mode. I immediately got hold of my current location le.

↡ Advertisement