Haze lai liao..

VellfireS

Turbocharged
(edited)

so far so bad.... lip service only as usual... PM LEE come out gong jiao wei

ya loh.. what crap $10 and they foot the rest of the bill.

why not for a start, issue N95 for elderly and children? a PM cannot activate national resources (and manpower) to get this done?

edit:

and fire that NEA guy who said PM10 has served singapore well and we got used to it.

Edited by Solar
↡ Advertisement

so far so bad.... lip service only as usual... PM LEE come out gong jiao wei

He knows nothing but jiao wei.

Beginning to suspect he is a bird...

this is a very good opportunity to score political points...

but of course, its a double-edged sword.

don't do properly, they'll be remembered [furious]

looks like there are a few things the Govt didnt do well

1) looks like no contingency plan (no one stock up n95? distribution channel to people? etc)

2) unwillingness to adopt AQI over PSI

i think this incident should wake up our planners on the effects of haze on

1) defence (if 1000 aqi, can our defence still work?)

2) bare essential public service (if 1000 aqi, can electricity and water still be produced?)

but i am sure they will be very well prepared the next time round

even 154 calling upon nea to use AQI but see whats nea respsonse [rolleyes]

http://yourhealth.asiaone.com/print/conten...called-question

Usefulness of PSI called into question

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013

My Paper

By Kenny Chee

SINGAPORE - Is the Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) an effective measure of air quality here? That was a question some netizens posed as the haze worsened yesterday.

Several, like Mr Phil Askey, have noted that the PSI does not factor in fine particles called PM2.5. They believe this means the PSI is not a good reflection of air quality here.

The PSI is based on concentrations of larger particulate matter called PM10.

PM2.5 particles, about one-thirtieth the width of a human hair, are more dangerous as they can enter the lungs or bloodstream more easily than larger dust particles.

Mr Askey posted a suggestion on the Facebook page of Environment Minister Vivian Balakrishnan, saying that the National Environment Agency (NEA) should use another index instead of the PSI. He said the Air Quality Index (AQI), for instance, takes into account PM2.5 concentrations.

There is no international consensus on air-quality indexes. The PSI was developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, but the US switched to the AQI in 1999.

Malaysia uses another measure, the Air Pollution Index, which also measures PM2.5.

In a report by The Straits Times in 2010, the NEA said it was studying other indexes that measure air quality. NEA had said that the PSI has served Singapore well when it comes to issuing health advisories to the public.

The PSI is measured on a scale of zero to 400, with a health advisory issued when a reading goes beyond 100.

NEA also noted then that the public has become used to the PSI over the years.

The NEA measures concentrations of PM2.5 separately. Readings, averaged over 24 hours, are published on its website. Health advisories for different PM2.5 concentration levels are also displayed.

For instance, when the reading is between 65 and 150 micrograms of PM2.5 per cubic m, people with heart or lung disease, children and older adults should avoid all outdoor physical activities.

Everyone else should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion.

The PM2.5 figures at 4pm yesterday for Singapore on the whole were 112-143.

The highest PM2.5 concentrations then were in the northern part of Singapore, at 143. The lowest was in the central part of the island, at 112.

[email protected]

PSI is People Suffering Inside [bigcry]

Turbocharged

i'm sure they do.. next round.

but this time, even if they don't stock up, how about getting overseas? how many days they need? or too proud to open their gold mouths to request 3M or other N95 manufacturers to ship here double time?

got army/scdf right?

can activate reservists to help distribution if really got manpower issue.. what happens to the 2hr/4hr/6hr activation thingy..

forgot ah?

well.. easy way out is to tell everyone you kenna sick, no problemo. you pay $10 and we pay the rest of your bills. clap clap.

Instead of hourly update, NEA should give us half hourly updates ..... :angry:

Look outside office windows, it look like 450 ..... [sweatdrop]

The hourly update is average value. The actual situation is very bad now, likely above 350 or even >400. I think the next few hours will see NEA number jumping up.

Turbocharged
The PSI is measured on a scale of zero to 400, with a health advisory issued when a reading goes beyond 100.

huh? only to 400?

so just now we nearly hit the max limit ah

if more than 400 how? the machine breaks down?

(edited)

this is a very good opportunity to score political points...

but of course, its a double-edged sword.

don't do properly, they'll be remembered [furious]

I disagree respectfully.

To distribute insect repellent when there's no shortage of repellent for

some segments of the population in some dengue hot spots, is to score political points.

To NOT makeup for the shortage of N95 masks to various institutions regulated by the MOH for sale to public,

from a ready reserve stockpile when there's island-wide shortfall during a haze crisis,

is to not perform the duties of a credible government that is prepared for contingencies.

There is a difference.

[cool]

Edited by CKP

Totally agree. I have been sitting at home windows open and the air quality has definitely degraded past 400 now!!! Bo pian Air con ON ah!

Totally agree. I have been sitting at home windows open and the air quality has definitely degraded past 400 now!!! Bo pian Air con ON ah!

You eh lun , respect. My ac on from ytd 7 pm till now jus off!!!

Gng ikea cos can't crop out at home, gng crazy!!!!

Even without air con on, just leave the window close....

Supersonic

I have no air-con in my house?! [bigcry]