Haze lai liao..

VellfireS

By comparing the pictures with PSI, I suspect we probably need fire and brimstone to rain down before PSI breaches the 150 mark.

Haze? What haze!

It is a smog.

A spade should be called a spade, as it is.

lol. flooding also can become pool of water liao, wat else cannot ..

Turbocharged

I wonder the haze will smoke out all the mozzie or not.... [cool]

last time my camp laojiao taught me burn dried leaves to chase away mozzies.. seemed to work and i passed it on.

but whole sg island probably need 300 psi to chase them all to indo and boleh land. [laugh]

now is slightly more clear and better vision..

The haze is even in the KPE tunnel.

Thought would have a "clearer" vision inside. Take a look at the tunnel lights, you'll see it there.

last time my camp laojiao taught me burn dried leaves to chase away mozzies.. seemed to work and i passed it on.

but whole sg island probably need 300 psi to chase them all to indo and boleh land. [laugh]

Mai leh, that would surpass the previous high of 226 in 1997. The landscape then felt like some apocalyptic movie.

Maybe SG should do like what our neighbour did in 1997,1998 and 2005:

Malaysia on Monday deployed 125 firefighters to battle hundreds of blazes on Indonesia's Sumatra island which last week blanketed the country with choking clouds of smoke and dust.

Fire and rescue department assistant deputy-general Zurkarnian Mohamad Kasim said the contingent left for Riau province aboard three military aircraft.

"They will be in Sumatra for at least a month. It is a tough mission. We will only be fighting the fire from the ground. But we hope Mother Nature will intervene with rain," he told AFP.

Zurkarnian said the firefighters would be equipped with heavy-duty pumps and all-terrain vehicles, but that the task was made more complicated and dangerous by the lack of water in Sumatra.

As frustration mounted last week over Indonesia's inability to douse the blazes, deputy premier Najib Razak urged Jakarta to clear bureaucratic hurdles delaying the dispatch of the firefighters "as soon as possible".

The same team fought fires in Indonesia during the 1997-98 haze crisis which blighted parts of Southeast Asia.

A meteorological department official told AFP that overnight rain and shifting winds had further cleared the air over the capital Kuala Lumpur and surrounding districts which were hit hard by haze last week.

Over the weekend the shifting winds sent the smoke and dust towards northern Malaysia, including the resort islands of Penang and Langkawi, but they cleared Monday as changing conditions pushed the haze even further north.

"We have a clear day in all the states in the peninsula except for Perlis," he said, referring to the northern state which borders Thailand.

Perlis recorded an air pollution index (API) of 83 on Monday, from 132 Sunday which put it into the "unhealthy" range of 100-200.

A department of environment official in the northern resort island of Penang, which also houses most of Malaysia's IT industry, said that air quality there had improved sharply, with the API falling to below 100 from 126 on Sunday.

However, the situation worsened on Borneo island where fires are burning in Indonesia's Kalimantan province, affecting Malaysia's neighbouring Sarawak state. The API in the coastal town of Miri shot up to 116 Monday from 52 Sunday.

Malaysia's capital Kuala Lumpur and the western coast, which is separated from Sumatra by the narrow Malacca Strait, bore the brunt of the pollution crisis last week.

A state of emergency was declared in two coastal towns but the measure was lifted Saturday as heavy rains and shifting winds brought a reprieve.

However, forecasters have warned that because hundreds of fires are still burning on Sumatra, another shift in the winds could bring the pollution right back to peninsular Malaysia.

Indonesia's Forestry Minister Malam Sambat Kaban said Sunday that he would hold further talks with Malaysian Environment Minister Adenan Satem later this week, after a crisis meeting last Thursday in North Sumatra.

Kaban said the pair would discuss "further measures" needed to stop the blazes that have been lit to clear land and forest fires on Sumatra and Kalimantan.

Economists say that the haze, which appeared in Malaysia two weeks ago, has already affected productivity and consumer spending and could also harm the tourism industry which is Malaysia's second-biggest foreign exchange earner.

Haze is an annual problem and the worst-ever bout, in 1997 and 1998, cost the region an estimated 9.0 billion dollars in damages by disrupting air travel and other business activities.

Maybe need to call up SCDF reservists.

I doubt our SCDF guys are as adventurous as M'sia's. History or Nat Geo did a documentary on this. The conditions there were harsh. If our guys were to go in, most would be down with heat stroke within the first few days or maybe hourly water parade.

↡ Advertisement