AAS membership ?

Bluemice

dear fellow MCFers,
I had a conversation with a fellow driver and the topic of Roadside assistance came about. He commented that since most major Auto service centers provides some form of "free" towing / recovery services, or ins. companies as well. Is there any benefits of joining AAS or related types of groups ?
any comments ?
mice

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Good only if the driver travels to Malaysia often and encounter a car breakdown, heard there might be benefits in such a case. Can someone please help to elaborate the details?

I have driven a 20 year old Japanese car for 10years and it only needed to be towed twice throughout the ownership.

Each tow is typically $40-$50 only. So not really worth to join.

It is good for people who travel to M'sia often...a single towing from M'sia to S'pore will make it worth it. But hope no need such service. Also, battery service is useful. I had used battery replacement services 3 times.

i am with them for many years, just to have peace of mind and some years i used them a few time a year, some yeas dun even call them at all. i am those who wont change punctured tyre by the roadside [laugh] [laugh]

if you are regularly go with AA Autoventure, it's useful, member is $100 to $200 cheaper registeration fee than non-member, but now the Autoventure has become unreasonable expensive, seldom go with them

it's like insurance, something that you pay but hope not to use...

anyway I use 3 times liao this yr

1) on eve of CNY eve.. tow back to home

2) cny eve, tow to a shop that does starters. not workshop. managed to get the car back on same day

3) yesterday car overheat in jb. few jb workshops cannot repair as is a saab. workshop quoted sgd 350 tow back to sg, about rm 800+. called AA, they refer me to Malaysia side, which refer me to a tow driver. quoted 550rm to tow to anywhere in sg.

if calculate above, my 3 yr membership pay for itself liao...

take note jb customs charge a levy of rm 200 for lorry leaving jb the rm 550 include this levy liao

• Praise 1

i am with them for many years, just to have peace of mind and some years i used them a few time a year, some yeas dun even call them at all. i am those who wont change punctured tyre by the roadside [laugh] [laugh]

How was their response and service?

price for joining went up already

and limited to 6 tow a year, and pay extra for mscp

Don't like the fee increase and pay extra for MSCP. But 6 tow/yr is ok. Most will not need that many towing...unless they are very helpful..helping their friends

Problem is during peak period, you can expect a wait of more than 1.5 hour to get your car towed. Ridiculous for a city state like Singapore. My car broke down recently and I had to call AD to tow as I did not want to wait for 1.5 hours for AAS service. Not sure I am renewing my membership as it is akin to buying insurance from a company with a bad claim process. They should add resources or cap membership.

Edited by Voodooman

Problem is during peak period, you can expect a wait of more than 1.5 hour to get your car towed. Ridiculous for a city state like Singapore. My car broke down recently and I had to call AD to tow as I did not want to wait for 1.5 hours for AAS service. Not sure I am renewing my membership as it is akin to buying insurance from a company with a bad claim process. They should add resources or cap membership.

Obviously, you got to wait longer during peak hours.

They collect X numbers of membership. If they have only a small number of tow trucks based on % of membership, then during peak hours, more people are going to call for towing.

Even for simple, "no-need" for towing, some people may still call, bcoz it's "free" as in you already "paid" in advance. It becomes a buffet.

They collect X numbers of membership. If they have only a small number of tow trucks based on % of membership, then during peak hours, more people are going to call for towing.

Even for simple, "no-need" for towing, some people may still call, bcoz it's "free" as in you already "paid" in advance. It becomes a buffet.

mm... why would towing be during peak hours?? car can choose to break down only during peak hrs? [rolleyes]

mm... why would towing be during peak hours?? car can choose to break down only during peak hrs? [rolleyes]

Peak hours refer to the period that most people start their cars and moved.

It is during these time that statistically, there will be more movement and subsequently more breakdowns.

Now, if you need a breakdown service then, you are unlikely to wait till non-peak hours.

If you start and move your car at non-peak hours like after midnight when most people are at home or sleeping, and you experienced a breakdown; there may be lots of towing trucks waiting to serve you. :D

AAS, like most business, is not able to produce more tow trucks during peak hours...so you have to settle for a long wait.

Over-subscription happens in every business.

I think 1.5hrs is standard... but so far, they came in about an 1hr

I.think AA only got van, towing is a tie up with workshops

anyway cannot wait then call your own but also at least 30mins to 45wait..

1.5 hours to 2 hours? The last time I called on AAS, I did not have to wait for more than 45 mins, it was also peak hours as well. Heard from the private tow truck operator who towed my vehicle he has picked up many disgruntled AAS members like myself recently as AAS resources have not kept up with growth in membership.

if you are regularly go with AA Autoventure, it's useful, member is $100 to $200 cheaper registeration fee than non-member, but now the Autoventure has become unreasonable expensive, seldom go with them

one thing about the autoventure... its like sibeh ridiculously expensive...

for example.. 5d4n ipoh and cameron highland trail is like s$588 adult, and s$428 child (and $328 no bed).. :blink:

over s$2k for a family of 4?

anyway, i usually use their itinerary as reference for my own trips in the future [laugh]

i just keep the membership for car-related issues.. used them twice in the past 5yrs for battery jumpstarting. (battery gone flat out of nowhere [sly] )

btw, there's recently a promotion for existing members $105 for 3yrs, and they are going to hike the fee soon. [shakehead]

↡ Advertisement