AAS membership ?

Bluemice

Just retrieving an old thread because my car fails to start this morning. After being a member for so many years of trouble free, I stop last year in April. Alas, this morning the battery show me color [:p]

Call AA and it is $138 for on the spot membership. Well, maybe it is worth the trouble to just pay annually?

These days got a lot of battery vendors who will drive over and change your battery for you on the spot.

For 138, you could  have almost changed your battery already.

Jap may be.

German car NO NO.

Why not?

I've done this plenty of times on an old Z4.

↡ Advertisement

Why not?

I've done this plenty of times on an old Z4.

Be careful when you're jump starting another car.

Nowadays cars are full of electronics.

The moment the other car started, and the 2 cars are connected together and 2 alternators of different voltage.

A voltage surge is unavoidable, bcuz of the coils in the alternator.

If you're lucky, nothing happens.

If you're unlucky it can fry some costly electronics.

I've seen a Chevrolet guy helping his fren jump start and then his own car can't start after that.

• Praise 1

Just retrieving an old thread because my car fails to start this morning. After being a member for so many years of trouble free, I stop last year in April. Alas, this morning the battery show me color [:p]

Call AA and it is $138 for on the spot membership. Well, maybe it is worth the trouble to just pay annually?

Sorry to hear that but maybe you should consider getting a good quality jumpbstarter and leave in car... I bought one 3 years ago and since then no worries about car breaking down.. even ditched the jump start cable

Edited by Chucky2007
  • Praise 1

Everyone should buy a battery jumpstarter. Jumper cables is old technology, still need to go around carpark looking for kind soul to help. With battery jumpstarter you can ownself help ownself, then straight to battery shop to change liao.

• Praise 1

Everyone should buy a battery jumpstarter. Jumper cables is old technology, still need to go around carpark looking for kind soul to help. With battery jumpstarter you can ownself help ownself, then straight to battery shop to change liao.

Yeah, get a handy lithium jump starter or change out your battery early, around 2 yrs.

And you probably won't need AAS.

I even got tyre patching kit.

Edited by Kb27

After driving around for more than 40 years, although I understand what jumpstarters are, I have never seen one or know of a good brand. What I saw is a youtube showing a little battery the size of a handphone that can start a car.

I think good to share here if you have owned one and the cost. I am sure many MCF members are like me. Thanks

• Praise 3

Be careful when you're jump starting another car.

Nowadays cars are full of electronics.

The moment the other car started, and the 2 cars are connected together and 2 alternators of different voltage.

A voltage surge is unavoidable, bcuz of the coils in the alternator.

If you're lucky, nothing happens.

If you're unlucky it can fry some costly electronics.

I've seen a Chevrolet guy helping his fren jump start and then his own car can't start after that.

Aiyoh, so jialat arr?

Many years ago i got helped people jump start before. Lucky no problem after that.

And yes, i would also appreciate it if any bros here can share recommendation and review of jump starter. What is cheap, good, and can last v long?  [laugh]

BTW, if anyone doesn't have a car cam and plans to install a decent one, can consider sign up AA too. 5-yr membership got free car cam. If consider the car cam price, then the 5-yr membership is actually very cheap...

• Praise 1

BTW, if anyone doesn't have a car cam and plans to install a decent one, can consider sign up AA too. 5-yr membership got free car cam. If consider the car cam price, then the 5-yr membership is actually very cheap...

Is the car cam given by AA is good quality?

Is the car cam given by AA is good quality?

i signed in Nov, got a choice of blackvue 1 channel (dun remember model liao), or iRoad V9 2 channel. I chose the latter.

Aiyoh, so jialat arr?

Many years ago i got helped people jump start before. Lucky no problem after that.

And yes, i would also appreciate it if any bros here can share recommendation and review of jump starter. What is cheap, good, and can last v long?  [laugh]

Bcuz of my business I bought a lot of jump starters.

1. Expensive big box type with SLA lead-acid battery - battery died after about 8 jumps. I never replaced that battery

2. Powerall lithium-ion jump starter from Amazon - USA design, made in china - still working

3. chiong Powerall - from china. Battery suddenly became pregnant and bursting out of the case. I disposed of it due to fire risk.

4. unknown "high-power" lithium-ion - can jump start and also power notebooks, still working

5. Noco Genius GB40 (super safe) rated at 1000A - I bought this to jump start diesel engine, but its success is low thus far. Jump start petrol engine no problem.

So the price range from cheap $60 to over $200, depending on what your want.

Cheap and good is hard to find.

• Praise 2

I am still waiting for the bro 5 year change once battery.. pray tell la.. which brand who supply?

I change my battery once every 5 years plus.

Changing at every 15k is a waste of money imo.

paging paging.. can share what brand where buy?

I am still waiting for the bro 5 year change once battery.. pray tell la.. which brand who supply?

but why you change your battery based on mileage ar?

but why you change your battery based on mileage ar?

not sure about mileage leh.. more of months.. batteries nowadays noticed konk around 2 years. but the brother above lasts 5 years. damns sakti.. so waiting for him to share brand and where to buy..

but best get a portable charger or like me just change every 18 mths.. I don't wait.. a bit of waste but why bother ..

not sure about mileage leh.. more of months.. batteries nowadays noticed konk around 2 years. but the brother above lasts 5 years. damns sakti.. so waiting for him to share brand and where to buy..

but best get a portable charger or like me just change every 18 mths.. I don't wait.. a bit of waste but why bother ..

i usually change when i feel cranking is weak..... to be honest my last amron lasted 3yrs+.... i changed because i felt uneasy it lasted too long lol

Bcuz of my business I bought a lot of jump starters.

1. Expensive big box type with SLA lead-acid battery - battery died after about 8 jumps. I never replaced that battery

2. Powerall lithium-ion jump starter from Amazon - USA design, made in china - still working

3. chiong Powerall - from china. Battery suddenly became pregnant and bursting out of the case. I disposed of it due to fire risk.

4. unknown "high-power" lithium-ion - can jump start and also power notebooks, still working

5. Noco Genius GB40 (super safe) rated at 1000A - I bought this to jump start diesel engine, but its success is low thus far. Jump start petrol engine no problem.

So the price range from cheap $60 to over $200, depending on what your want.

Cheap and good is hard to find.

[thumbsup]

What big biz you do?

So among #2, 4, 5, which one is best for normal petrol cars? And which one is near $60 or $200?  [laugh]

The cheap and good is elusive. Everything i buy, i start with that criteria. Dunno where they hide...

Me too.

5 yr for many bros, will outlast the car...

↡ Advertisement