AAS membership ?

Bluemice

The instructions for my jumpstarter also say to clamp to both terminals. This is the first time I see connection to car body for a jumpstarter battery.

Me drive Subaru Outback.. also told to put one connection to car body.. if not risk of surge frying the motherboard... Guess only for newer cars la. My 10 yo rex no need to do so..

not really. my battery lasted 16mths last time. I'm going to change at the 15mth mark next time. [bigcry]

Good move..prudent.. no need to get nasty surprise..

Nowadays car battery is being used for charging phones, cams etc.. so consumption has definitely gone up..

↡ Advertisement

Will the jumpstarter battery work with positive connected to battery and negative connected to car body? I don't know why my instructions state to connect both leads to the battery directly, I'm afraid this might cause issue? I know jumpstarter cables negative terminal is meant to be connected to car body, but not sure why different for jumpstarter battery.

The instructions for my jumpstarter also say to clamp to both terminals. This is the first time I see connection to car body for a jumpstarter battery. 

The instruction on my jumpstart cables (just the cables, not fancy battery type) says to clamp on car body for negative terminal connection. I do that as I hate to see sparks near the battery. Hydrogen has very wide flammability range, and it can be released by the battery during charging up (after you have started the dead car).

The instruction on my jumpstart cables (just the cables, not fancy battery type) says to clamp on car body for negative terminal connection. I do that as I hate to see sparks near the battery. Hydrogen has very wide flammability range, and it can be released by the battery during charging up (after you have started the dead car).

That's the standard instruction for cables. I'm wondering why battery version is different.

That's the standard instruction for cables. I'm wondering why battery version is different.

I'd say it's up to you.

If your jump starter is "smarter" and need a switch to turn on, then you can connect the negative directly to the battery post.

If your jump starter is always ON, then it's better to connect the negative (lastly) to the body, so that any spark is away from the battery.

There are many things people can do wrongly, either through ignorance or insisting it's ok, since nothing happens when they have doing the same way for x no. of years.

Schumacher SL1 is really a good idea, from the newer generation of lithium jump starter.

1. It has a LiFePo battery, which is intrinsically much safer than the regular LiCO, also called Lithium-ion. LiFePo is generally more expensive to produce, but it's not as susceptible to thermal runaway which you see in lithium-ion battery exploding in fire.

2. It has reverse protection

3. It has a useful display for voltage, which tells how low the battery you want to jump start is. The lower the voltage, the harder it will be to jump start as more current is needed.

I looked through the chinese product at aliexpress and the newer ones just have a display, but no LiFePo battery.

And yes, I just bought one from Amazon. [laugh]

Bro kb27. How much did you pay for it & can they ship outside USA ? Thanks.

Have been AA member ever since I got my license. Used mainly in 1st 2 years cos got a bladdy lemon then. After that hardly use, maybe about 5 times in 17 yrs ? 

Yes me too.

Even pasted AAS decal on my windscreen and proudly display the AAS Emblem on my grille, quite useful in the past....

Also enjoy the highway magazine. Now not sure, hardly received this mag anymore in my post despite updating my address.

But now with better cars, better service, inhouse tow to agent etc....AAS seems less relevant.

Only visit them to apply for International Driving License/Permit.

Yes me too.

Even pasted AAS decal on my windscreen and proudly display the AAS Emblem on my grille, quite useful in the past....

Also enjoy the highway magazine. Now not sure, hardly received this mag anymore in my post despite updating my address.

But now with better cars, better service, inhouse tow to agent etc....AAS seems less relevant.

Only visit them to apply for International Driving License/Permit.

How come I did not receive the AA "crest"? From far, looks like the car of a Datok. 

Nowadays, I only see them on very old cars.

Interesting comment on the relevancy of AAS. Its counterpart in Malaysia was reportedly in dire financial straits. It makes me wonder if I will be able to get a reciprocal service from AAM when driving a Singapore-registered car in Malaysia should I need one (one of my reasons for joining AAS).

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/09/24/aam-close-to-the-brink-association-said-to-be-struggling-with-debt-crisis-of-millions/

• Praise 1

I can't find a translation.

What kind of battery is that ?

spiral wound acid-lead battery (sealed type). Tried to jumpstart a 1500cc car no problem.

spiral wound acid-lead battery (sealed type). Tried to jumpstart a 1500cc car no problem.

It looks good.

Traditional lead acid battery should jump start cars with no problem, without the lithium-ion safety issue.

Thank you kb27. Any feedback on the reliability & usage ?

Most of these jump starters have good and bad reviews.

Some people's expectations are not met.

So it's hard to say

I just ordered it, but not received yet.

The reason I chose this was the LiFePo battery.

I had a few more, all Lithium-ion battery. So safety is always in my mind, when I'm using these.

I'm ready to throw them out if they get pregnant or worse, smoke and start a fire.

Lead-acid battery is a much safer option, but then you need to lug around a big size battery.

That is its main disadvantage.

↡ Advertisement