CNA: More drivers caught for flouting child seat belt rules

Darthrevan

True, that's why education is more important than plain force. Let them understand the importance... well, sad to say my kids only learn when I met with minor accident... good thing no injury and they understand the importance of seat belt and booster seat

Think my cousin too small to understand. Everytime talk to him he never listen one. Lucky not everyday i ferry him

To those who think it's easy to coax toddlers into car seat n buckle, I await ur response when u have kids. I'm not saying it's totally impossible but there were times I weren't able to do it. N ur toddler have to only encounter w TP once which was better than how I explained to my then toddler umpteen times about the consequence of being caught n fine by TP. Luckily only warning then.

I'd suggest a trend analysis of veh accident n tackle top 3 to 5 causes of accident. A series of action plans r then to be rolled out fr there like heartland campaigns, year round incentives besides enforcement n surveillance.

The word I would use is not coax.. its either buckle up or get out and go home. There is if's or want's in this expect. Just for the case I have two kids. Both have their own booster seat now. It has been an automatic affair since they know how to work the seat belt. Never need to "Coax".

Auto go up car, auto seat down, auto belt up.

yeah, agreed. kids actually learn very quickly haha.

actually one key pricinciple in parenting is the word "consistent". once we insist and get the kiddo to be buckled up consistently (i.e. everytime), there is no excuse and less risks of "power-struggles" in the car on whether they can go unbuckled.

ever since my 2 kids were "forced" to sit in their infant car seats since they were infants, i have seldom had the problem to get them to stay buckled. even at times when they whine or try to arm-twist to get out... I jus refuse to give in (not even once) or threaten to go home.. they will learn very quickly compliance is a win-win option haha.

One more.. both parents need to be consistent. When you say 1 wifey also need to say 1. Cannot be you say 1 and the other part say 2.. it will be a loop hole the kids will exploit.

I completely agree with this.

When both my kids were born, I brought them back from the hospital in infant seats.

Now they're 8 and 10, and in booster seats. The car does not move unless they're buckled up, and they have learnt not to argue. This despite the fact that we give rides to their friends sometimes, and those friends refuse the booster (I carry an extra for those occasions).

My wife does the same when she drives them. Consistency is key.

yah man, all my 4 kids do not have any problem sitting in child seat when they are young and currently the youngest two are on booster seat, no problem having them bucket up, they must be train since young [:)]

ask u all ar...

I got a child seat in my car

secured swee swee.

but then if wanna take cab, then how?

carry the child seat/booster seat meh?

then or-kong the taxi driver if kena caught?

yah man, all my 4 kids do not have any problem sitting in child seat when they are young and currently the youngest two are on booster seat, no problem having them bucket up, they must be train since young [:)]

ya man,

my kid will cry last time cos he don't like to be restrained.

but then cry better then die

I never know which idiot will cut your lane, thus making you to e-brake..... with a flying body from your back seat to the windscreen.

One more.. both parents need to be consistent. When you say 1 wifey also need to say 1. Cannot be you say 1 and the other part say 2.. it will be a loop hole the kids will exploit.

yes, both parents have a part to play, some parents may think that as long as they drive carefully can liao but it is the other drivers on the road that you cannot predict.

All my kids gone thru' 'tough' discipline by me and wife [nod] , it's for their own good, as the chinese saying goes "子不孝,父之过

ya man,

my kid will cry last time cos he don't like to be restrained.

but then cry better then die

I never know which idiot will cut your lane, thus making you to e-brake..... with a flying body from your back seat to the windscreen.

you've done well :D

ask u all ar...

I got a child seat in my car

secured swee swee.

but then if wanna take cab, then how?

carry the child seat/booster seat meh?

then or-kong the taxi driver if kena caught?

Taxi is exempted from this ruling.

Same for buses

Both my kid has no problem getting into their child seat. In fact it's very routine. Once in the car, they auto go into their child seat. Have to do this and insist since day one, cannot let them have their way.

my kid school bus told me they have seat belts... wow i was impressed... until one day i saw the seat belts is adult seat belts... the horizontal waist belt around my kis's waist and the diagonal strap just place behind kid's back... is this safe? or a case of better than nothing?

my kid school bus told me they have seat belts... wow i was impressed... until one day i saw the seat belts is adult seat belts... the horizontal waist belt around my kis's waist and the diagonal strap just place behind kid's back... is this safe? or a case of better than nothing?

if the child is 1.35m tall, then he/she doesn't need a child seat booster, n can use the adult seat belt...but i think most pri 1 and pri 2 kids are not tat tall....so it's probably a case of better-than-having-no-protection

if the child is 1.35m tall, then he/she doesn't need a child seat booster, n can use the adult seat belt...but i think most pri 1 and pri 2 kids are not tat tall....so it's probably a case of better-than-having-no-protection

Even he/she have the height beware the belt that held diagonally dun hold against the face.

Some car came with slider that can adjust some distance lower and that can help to belt against the shoulder and neck instead

of the face.

But i always have doubts about the effectiveness of the waist seat belt even on adults.. what more on children... always see dummy videos on how seat belts save lives.. but cant find a video on testing of waist belts...

I think the debate here is who should decide on child seats?

Parents or Government.

Singapore is a paternalistic country. If you leave it to the citizens, public toilets are not flush, litter and spitting everywhere, illegal parking, etc. If you fine them, everybody complain. Children die, who is the victim? Parents. But if parents don't care, then should our government care.

Same for seat belts. Government fine motorist for failing to wear seat belt. All motorist knows that seat belt save lives, but there are some who refused to put on because short journey waht, wrinkle shirt, forget, etc.

Point : Self responsibility. Parents decide. If they want to take risk, go ahead. They suffer the consequences just like smoking. Smoking kills but government can only discourage through public education. As long as they don't put other road users at risk, I think live and let live. This is an individual decision.

Both my kid has no problem getting into their child seat. In fact it's very routine. Once in the car, they auto go into their child seat. Have to do this and insist since day one, cannot let them have their way.

Totally agree [thumbsup]

Constantly see some kids free to roam/stand/kneel inside the cabin without being strapped....parents sho confident that there wlll never be an ebrake moment arh?

↡ Advertisement