Motoring Heritage Day@Tanjong Pagar Railway Station

Mockngbrd

DSC00674.jpg

The National Heritage Board together with the Singapore & Malaysian Vintage Car Register held their 2012 Motoring Heritage Day at the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station over the weekend. It was a fitting location as the two day event not only showcased the cars from days gone by, but at the same time, the now unused train station was opened up for visitors to roam another relic of transportation. I popped by for a short visit on the second day, took in the sights and at the same time, took some photos.

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

Honestly, i'm not much of a vintage man, the cars which interest me extend back to the most, the 1970s or late 1960s. There are some exceptions of course, muscle cars and rat rods are granted exemption from that rule too. Cars like this Alfa fit just nicely at the ends of that age group. It might be getting on in years but this is one of the most lovely cars in my book. It's nice to know Alfa hasn't (totally) lost their flair for producing some good looking cars. "Some" because there were some turds along the way.

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00855.jpg

DSC00853.jpg

There were a couple of Karmann Ghia convertibles sitting around looking pretty. The Karmann Ghia might have started production in the mid 50s but continued to be made up to the mid-late 70s, so it still falls within range of cars which pique my interest.

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00736.jpg

Another car with a similarly long production lifespan was this Fiat 500. Or if you are familiar with the movie, Cars, Luigi!

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00749.jpg

Cars like this Frogeye Sprite get special exemption. Just look at those lights!

DSC00745.jpg

See the link with our modern day MX5 grins?

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00767.jpg

Pagoda SL. Audrey Hepburn.

DSC00775.jpg

Imagine filling this up at the petrol station.

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

Simply elegant back then.

↡ Advertisement

DSC00880.jpg

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag...

DSC00719.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

Another quintessential British sports car, but sadly, this Aston DB6 looked to be in a pretty sorry state. You wonder why someone would keep it in such a state of disrepair. James Bond wouldn't approve.

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

In need of some serious TLC.

DSC00728.jpg

This Mercedes SL sitting next to the Aston was similarly unloved. Someone needs to bring these cars back to life.

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

There were a few minis and beetles on show.

DSC00750.jpg

Another Austin Healey Sprite.

DSC00701.jpg

Cars were alot smaller back then as this rare Triumph Spitfire Coupe shows.

DSC00922.jpg

An MG and a Sunbeam Alpine

DSC00846.jpg

A Capri named Charlotte.

DSC00826.jpg

Singapore's 96th automobile.

DSC00799.jpg

Going back further in time, luxury marques featured more prominently as i reckon, only the more well-off back then could afford a set of wheels.

DSC00808.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

How gangstas used to roll.

DSC00908.jpg

DSC00894.jpg

Sitting away from the lineup of cars was another sexy Alfa Sprint.

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00892.jpg

Such clean and smooth lines in the design.

DSC00652.jpg

Big Rolls Royce in the background would never have imagined that one day, they would belong to the same company.

DSC00888.jpg

There were a number of other cars on display which i did not cover as they didn't interest me as much and it was beginning to drizzle, but seeing all of them together, you can't help but feel nostalgic. Especially in this setting, you sort of wonder if any of these cars have ever been here before. Back in the day when they were used as real cars, running around the streets just minding their own business. Would any of these cars have been to the train station back then? Back when the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station was still bustling with activity.

DSC00958.jpg

*Pls excuse me if i've made any errors with rgds to the cars, classics are not my forte*

beautiful cars.

they dun make them like they use to.

agree....

I also did some Speedhunting in the carpark... something you might like?

DSC00641.jpg

It might be silly, but really the highlight for me was seeing this E30 Coupe again and in just as lovely a condition as i last saw it many many years ago.

DSC00992.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

lovely aircooled.

DSC00967.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

And something you don't see everyday at an unused train station...

Nice pics, bro. Thnx for sharing!

Once in time, I loved e triumph spitfire coup ....happy to see at least one still well cared n in running condition.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1