Trucks on Expressway lane 2

Ferrislong

Hi All,

I am a frequent commuter of the expressways in Singapore. Noticed that the trucks (with up to 70km/h sticker at the back) like to go onto lane 2 on the expressways. Are there any reasons why LTA/TP/whoever made the decision to allow this to happen?

On most times, I can see that the slow truck going snail slow while there are a long trail of vehicles behind it and clear path to the next vehicle in front, up to 3-4 lamp post.

In the 80s, this wasnt the problem and most trucks would automatically keep left.

Any good constructive comments are welcome to improve the OVERALL speed of our expressways. I feel that even if the lanes are increased to 10, with the trucks going from Lane 2 to 10, it would be the same problem.

Regards

↡ Advertisement

Hi All,

I am a frequent commuter of the expressways in Singapore. Noticed that the trucks (with up to 70km/h sticker at the back) like to go onto lane 2 on the expressways. Are there any reasons why LTA/TP/whoever made the decision to allow this to happen?

On most times, I can see that the slow truck going snail slow while there are a long trail of vehicles behind it and clear path to the next vehicle in front, up to 3-4 lamp post.

In the 80s, this wasnt the problem and most trucks would automatically keep left.

Any good constructive comments are welcome to improve the OVERALL speed of our expressways. I feel that even if the lanes are increased to 10, with the trucks going from Lane 2 to 10, it would be the same problem.

Regards

[laugh] Welcome to 2012, a few more months will be 2013.

Since you have asleep or away for 30years the car population has since increase significantly. Left most lane is overcrowded with buses, lorries, slow motorbikes and now cyclist. They start to overflow to other lanes. If you got eyes you will notice the situation. Ask LTA/TP no use coz LTA release too many COEs at one point while you were asleep or away. So now they got to deal with it.

Dun ask so much lah. Many things are visible to the eyes. If still have to ask why, better go back to sleep. :D

If every single lorries, vans, trucks, etc ALL keep to the extreme left with no gap, how are cars going to exit the expressway? Have you thought abt it? So when a car need to exit the expressway, all the commercial vehicles must slow down to let the car exit? How abt 100 cars along the way?

Think about it.

If every single lorries, vans, trucks, etc ALL keep to the extreme left with no gap, how are cars going to exit the expressway? Have you thought abt it? So when a car need to exit the expressway, all the commercial vehicles must slow down to let the car exit? How abt 100 cars along the way?

Think about it.

I definitely thought about this. In reality, I am leaning to the view of increasing the speed to match cars. Dont see this an issue in other large cities though.

Think about it.

u muz be one of those driving van or lorry who like to travel at lane 2... come on, it's a fact that these vehicles are road hogging... and to keep to the extreme wif totally no gap is no feasible and these buggers wun be so stupid to be potentially involve in chain collision... end of the story, wan to exit only 2 ways; one is depends on ur skill and another is guai guai move slowly behind tis chain of trucks maybe 50% before ur exit...

u rather guai guai move slowly for tis period of time or kana hog here and there on the expressway??? simple qn and ans rite? u do not need rocket scientist to answer...

Hi All,

Regards

I don't mind sharing. That being said our other bro's have stated that the real cause is the increase in vehicle population. Perhaps its time for LTA to tweek its ERP formula to create staggered timings. e.g. Make it $10 for goods vehicles to enter the 3 zones from say 7am to 9am, then make it $10 for passenger vehicles to enter between say 9am and 11am while its free for goods vehicles etc.

u muz be one of those driving van or lorry who like to travel at lane 2... come on, it's a fact that these vehicles are road hogging... and to keep to the extreme wif totally no gap is no feasible and these buggers wun be so stupid to be potentially involve in chain collision... end of the story, wan to exit only 2 ways; one is depends on ur skill and another is guai guai move slowly behind tis chain of trucks maybe 50% before ur exit...

u rather guai guai move slowly for tis period of time or kana hog here and there on the expressway??? simple qn and ans rite? u do not need rocket scientist to answer...

I drive van, lorry and car. Any problem? I don't road hog though.

I dare to say my van has better capabilities than tom yam made vios. [laugh]

ESP and TCS for vios?

Edited by Fcw75

dont blame the trucks , blame the drivers

more specifically, blame the foreign talent drivers, the chinaman and the kelengkias

lucky they going 50kmh only, on smaller road u see them change gear more often, can die lorry and everyone jam brake one

I definitely thought about this. In reality, I am leaning to the view of increasing the speed to match cars. Dont see this an issue in other large cities though.

Increasing the speed limit to match cars? :o

Not a good idea, 70km/h people already going at 80-90km/h, increasing to 90km/h they will speed at more than 100km/h.

Hi All,

Regards

I don't mind sharing. That being said our other bro's have stated that the real cause is the increase in vehicle population. Perhaps its time for LTA to tweek its ERP formula to create staggered timings. e.g. Make it $10 for goods vehicles to enter the 3 zones from say 7am to 9am, then make it $10 for passenger vehicles to enter between say 9am and 11am while its free for goods vehicles etc.

today at BKE towards PIE most of the truck, pickup n etc in lane 2 n 1, so tak boleh tahan, swtich to lane 3 blast to 110kmh to overtake all [laugh][laugh]

Edited by Rezorn86

Have seen a lorry and a big private bus speed at the 1st lane before...damn scary the way they speed..

I will either speed up and get far far away from them or siam to 3rd lane..Won't risk being next to them [sweatdrop]

nowadays, those euro van/lorry driver 'forget' they are driving commercial vehicle due to the nice interior that look like passenger car.

so they forget their speed limit.

lta should put back the commercial vehicle blinking light and in-car buzzer.

so the driver will remember they are in commercial vehicle and tp/lta can spot speeding ones easily.

of if they want to go faster, pay passenger car road tax which is much more expensive than their 'company' registered good vehicle.

Edited by Leechee

Hi All,

Regards

This is a very Singapore issue, in other country truck travel at the same speed as car.

Would things be diff if commercial veh are allow to travel according to road speed limit?

you havent met them at lane 1 with 80km/hr....

there are buses which i met too.

Speaking of buses, the other day i was travelling on lane 2 on expressway at about 90km/h at night. Suddenly there was this private bus came very fast behind me and then flash his headlights at me! I nearly got blinded by its bright headlights! :wacko:

↡ Advertisement