What tires for SUV?

Civic6656

12 hours ago, Cosmicclaw said:

Hawk Tyres JB quoted for Michelin Premacy SUV+ (225/60/18) at RM 800 per piece. Made in Thailand and manufactured in 2022

Using SGD 1 = RM 3.35, this works out to approx SGD239. Sounds very attractive.

Anyone using these tires now and is there a difference between SUV and SUV Plus?

Local SG I got before (last year) Michelin PS4 SUV Europe made only 7months old for that same size at 247 per tyre. 

• Praise 2

35 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Local SG I got before (last year) Michelin PS4 SUV Europe made only 7months old for that same size at 247 per tyre. 

Ya. Actually branded tyres. Malaysia is not really that much cheaper then sg. Esp in jb.

They know our prices. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Bros, here, just to share I had to change the bloody Fortuner tire due to a road blockade and I went up and down a kerb causing the bloody pain. 

This time round, I insist to get this Goodyear tires (full set including the spares) as those Chinese brands are totally lousy. They chip all the time with the least abrasion. I have never in such situation before. :dizzy:

bbf230e4988e7ab51036bd1dcd219d6.jpg

961dac4143a5f272d207f2f97bcfc97.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 3/15/2023 at 11:41 AM, Arogab said:

Bros, here, just to share I had to change the bloody Fortuner tire due to a road blockade and I went up and down a kerb causing the bloody pain. 

This time round, I insist to get this Goodyear tires (full set including the spares) as those Chinese brands are totally lousy. They chip all the time with the least abrasion. I have never in such situation before. :dizzy:

bbf230e4988e7ab51036bd1dcd219d6.jpg

961dac4143a5f272d207f2f97bcfc97.jpg

Why use off road tires on tarmac? It is the wrong application. The off road threads are suppose to have surface contact with mud or dirt....you know smth that is much softer than tarmac? Driving over the concrete kerb is it softer than mud/dirt? The tire pressure is important when it comes to driving different surfaces.

Just like if you use road tires to go off road, you will comprain the traction is poor. The tire threads are just not suited to go off road. Plus off road tires are super noisy it becomes super comical. Whenever I drive pass those jeep wranglers with off road tires on the expressway for example, the tire noise is like you drive over those little tiny blocks on the road shoulder. I bet the vibration is also similar. I can hear it very loudly inside my car. I always laugh at these drivers. Their bright idea torture themselves.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

See what Google says. 

What tire pressure for offroad driving?

We recommend starting at 20 PSI and working your way down from there. The weight of the vehicle, size of the wheel, tire diameter, and even the terrain you are on will all be factors.

Off road tire pressure is very low. Like running on deflated tires. This is where the threads work its best. Very slow speeds as well. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPfGYm3UYvlgi-u46etOT

You up the air pressure to 30-35psi and use it on the tarmac road and on higher speeds....you will only wear it out faster.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 3/15/2023 at 11:02 AM, Watwheels said:

Why use off road tires on tarmac? It is the wrong application. The off road threads are suppose to have surface contact with mud or dirt....you know smth that is much softer than tarmac? Driving over the concrete kerb is it softer than mud/dirt? The tire pressure is important when it comes to driving different surfaces.

Just like if you use road tires to go off road, you will comprain the traction is poor. The tire threads are just not suited to go off road. Plus off road tires are super noisy it becomes super comical. Whenever I drive pass those jeep wranglers with off road tires on the expressway for example, the tire noise is like you drive over those little tiny blocks on the road shoulder. I bet the vibration is also similar. I can hear it very loudly inside my car. I always laugh at these drivers. Their bright idea torture themselves.

It's not about off road or not. My staff change to the other one due to old tires chipping at the side (I do go a little off road and they noticed). When I realized other brands still have the same problem and the last round, up and down one curb only that stupid tires gone😅.

So now for this time round, I think the Goodyear can be something I can observe

• Praise 1

On 3/15/2023 at 12:02 PM, Watwheels said:

I think this is GY Wrangler. This is an all-terrain tyre.
No issue for road use.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:46 PM, Arogab said:

It's not about off road or not. My staff change to the other one due to old tires chipping at the side (I do go a little off road and they noticed). When I realized other brands still have the same problem and the last round, up and down one curb only that stupid tires gone😅.

So now for this time round, I think the Goodyear can be something I can observe

This is all-terrain tyre. Mainly road driving.

Can also light off-road.

These type of tyre very hardy but not not so comfy.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 3/15/2023 at 12:53 PM, inlinesix said:

This is all-terrain tyre. Mainly road driving.

Can also light off-road.

These type of tyre very hardy but not not so comfy.

My point was, 1st chip, I got it just at office area when turning, there was a slight kerb. Result was just change one. Second one, I always cut across a short cut and driving some very bumpy road. I got chip. Thus, driver went and change to this one. I was expecting no chip. After about 30k mileage. I got into road block, I wanted to move on and went up a low kerb, and got a punctured tire with side abrasion. 

Conclusion is these Chinese; China tires are just cheap and not reliable. Just better pay slightly more for Goodyear, told my people, whether China made, or Thailand made. Hopefully there is reliability there.

• Praise 1

On 3/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, Arogab said:

My point was, 1st chip, I got it just at office area when turning, there was a slight kerb. Result was just change one. Second one, I always cut across a short cut and driving some very bumpy road. I got chip. Thus, driver went and change to this one. I was expecting no chip. After about 30k mileage. I got into road block, I wanted to move on and went up a low kerb, and got a punctured tire with side abrasion. 

Conclusion is these Chinese; China tires are just cheap and not reliable. Just better pay slightly more for Goodyear, told my people, whether China made, or Thailand made. Hopefully there is reliability there.

MY Mitsubishi Triton with All-Terrain whack whatever terrain except ICT type of mud.

He found tiny nail on 1 of the stud on the tyre.

Cheaper AT Tyre include GY Wrangler and Michelin LTX Force

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 3/15/2023 at 2:11 PM, inlinesix said:

MY Mitsubishi Triton with All-Terrain whack whatever terrain except ICT type of mud.

He found tiny nail on 1 of the stud on the tyre.

Cheaper AT Tyre include GY Wrangler and Michelin LTX Force

Imagine when the previous tires were new (I change the set when I hit a chip), I went to Kao Yai and was at this hill top cafe that you have to go a few kilometers off road and I kena chip and punctured. I will kee siao

• Haha! 1

On 3/15/2023 at 11:41 AM, Arogab said:

Those Chinese brands are totally lousy. They chip all the time with the least abrasion. 

Which is the worse Chinese brand?

Time for new tyres for MIL.

:D

On 3/15/2023 at 3:27 PM, Arogab said:

Imagine when the previous tires were new (I change the set when I hit a chip), I went to Kao Yai and was at this hill top cafe that you have to go a few kilometers off road and I kena chip and punctured. I will kee siao

Next time, tell driver to look for all-terrain tyre.

It is very hardy 

2 tyres of SUV

One type never goes off road

One does.

Never go off road no need all terrain tyres or even SUV tyres.

Turbocharged
On 3/15/2023 at 2:28 PM, Jamesc said:

Which is the worse Chinese brand?

Time for new tyres for MIL.

China now open, you can taobao for the cheapest ones. Maybe even taobao the airbags🤣

On 3/15/2023 at 2:29 PM, inlinesix said:

Next time, tell driver to look for all-terrain tyre.

It is very hardy 

I just use my current goodyear and see how lah

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1