Any exhaust smell from your Mini countryman?

Yaloryalor

Dear guys,

Do you experience exhaust smell from your Mini countryman?

My sis countryman bought slightly less than a year has this exhaust smell. It's not always but on and off. Went back to agent but couldn't detect anything.

Appreciate any feedback.

Tks!

↡ Advertisement

Hi, I drive a cooper 2011 model and I also experience the same issue. There's this strong chemical smell occasionally emitted through the aircon.

I asked the mechanic when I brought it to service and he told me it's normal. I didn't really bother about his explanation since the main pt he was putting across is that nothing can be done abt it.

Coincidentally a countryman owner also asked the same qn the last time I was there. Same response.

Hi, I drive a cooper 2011 model and I also experience the same issue. There's this strong chemical smell occasionally emitted through the aircon.

I asked the mechanic when I brought it to service and he told me it's normal. I didn't really bother about his explanation since the main pt he was putting across is that nothing can be done abt it.

Coincidentally a countryman owner also asked the same qn the last time I was there. Same response.

Mini's A/C if i not wrong is the same as Rover 75,this smell only came in when the A/C switch to fresh air mode.

Could it be the a/c will auto switch to outside air mode? I have the same experience with other European makes. Especially on longer journeys it will let in fresh air otherwise you will be breathing in your own CO2 which is not very healthy and in some cases make you sleepy. After that it will switch back to recirculating mode. i think letting outside air enter the cabin can also prevent the windows/windscreen from fogging. The sensor controls it anyway.

Oh yeah, for some cars if you hit the defrost mode(heater for front windscreen) it's only outside air mode. You cannot switch to recirculating air mode even if you press the button to select. Purpose is to equalise the temperature inside the cabin to demist the windscreen.

Edited by Watwheels

its due to air con mixing outside air in after a while, all merc have this to circulate fresh air in, unlike cheap jap cars

Ignorant. Any car equipped with Automatic Climate Control will have the same functions. Mercs do not have that exclusiveness.

As my young nephew and niece are sitting in the car so my sis worry if the smell is harmful esp to small children.

Or can it be fixed at outside workshop?

Could it be the a/c will auto switch to outside air mode? I have the same experience with other European makes. Especially on longer journeys it will let in fresh air otherwise you will be breathing in your own CO2 which is not very healthy and in some cases make you sleepy. After that it will switch back to recirculating mode. i think letting outside air enter the cabin can also prevent the windows/windscreen from fogging. The sensor controls it anyway.

Oh yeah, for some cars if you hit the defrost mode(heater for front windscreen) it's only outside air mode. You cannot switch to recirculating air mode even if you press the button to select. Purpose is to equalise the temperature inside the cabin to demist the windscreen.

If its auto switched to outside air mode then the button should have the indication rite? Initially I suspecting tat but the mode( button) din switch.

Ignorant. Any car equipped with Automatic Climate Control will have the same functions. Mercs do not have that exclusiveness.

do u drive jap & feel inferior about ur cheaper ownershit? its not a bad thing if u think positively, besides & its nothing to do with ACC

I don't think it can be 'fixed'. It should be programmed into the ECU to allow fresh air in at intermittently to keep the cabin air healthy.

So this could be the reason why the smell came out once awhile.

its due to air con mixing outside air in after a while, all merc have this to circulate fresh air in, unlike cheap jap cars

Yup. You probably don't know, but the cheap jap car drivers are all laughing at you in your merc smelling the exhaust fume from lorries and buses, at least that is what I think when people look at me at the traffic light. No, it is not about inferior complex because I always felt that merc are way over-rated by people who have been blinded by the badge, at least for any model up to and including the cls.

The only good thing I can think about this auto recirculate function is that I can put my macdonald's in the boot and have absolutely no bad smell in the cabin.

↡ Advertisement