ISPs' broadband speeds get audited

MacDuck

Taken from http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/singap...udited-20120920

IDA's independent check compares Net service providers on price, performance

By Irene Tham, Technology Correspondent

CONSUMERS wanting to make an informed choice on broadband plans can now turn to an independent audit that shows M1 customers had the fastest links to overseas websites in July.

The audit, commissioned by the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA), compares local Internet service providers (ISPs) on the basis of price and download speed.

The latest audit, based on data gathered in July, is available on IDA's website. The data is gleaned from probes plugged into the modems and routers of volunteers here.

In July this year, M1's 50Mbps fibre broadband users surfed on international websites at an average speed of 23.3Mbps.

Although this was only marginally faster than the 23.2Mbps clocked by users on SingTel's premium 200Mbps plan, the difference is starker where M1's 100Mbps fibre broadband users are concerned - they surfed at almost double the speed at 40.8Mbps that month.

Customers on StarHub's 100Mbps plan, on the other hand, hit an average of only 15.8Mbps when surfing on overseas sites.

The huge difference can be explained by SingTel and StarHub capping the speed of their users' links to overseas websites at 15Mbps for lower-end plans and 25Mbps for premium, as stated in their advertising. The cap for StarHub's highest-end 1Gbps fibre broadband is 100Mbps.

M1, on the other hand, does not limit the connection speed to overseas websites. "We believe in delivering a better experience for all our services, including fibre broadband. For that reason, we do not cap international access for all our fibre broadband plans," said M1 chief technology officer Patrick Scodeller.

A SingTel spokesman said audit results for this month would represent its network performance more accurately, as it removed the international speed cap for all its fibre broadband customers on Aug 30.

It also went a step further, assuring a minimum speed of 15Mbps for customers on the 100Mbps plan and 25Mbps for those on 200Mbps during peak surfing periods.

Last week, StarHub removed the international speed cap for most fibre broadband customers and assured minimum speeds of 15Mbps and 25Mbps for different plans.

Ms Iris Wee, StarHub's vice-president of home solutions and content, said actual international download speeds vary according to how content providers connect to the Internet to provide their service to subscribers. Other factors include a user's Wi-Fi signal strength and the number of users sharing the same home network.

The audit started in May this year, to give consumers an objective performance comparison for broadband services.

It also compares the speed of broadband services using older ADSL and cable technologies.

IDA said it is considering tracking new broadband service providers like ViewQwest and MyRepublic as they get more customers.

Previously, users could base their decisions only on the top speeds advertised by ISPs - performances that were not always achieved.

But consumers have been better informed since IDA's stipulation that ISPs must publish typical download speeds from April this year.

Even so, the numbers may still be arbitrary, as ISPs can choose the websites they track. The independent audit, therefore, serves to fill this gap.

[email protected]

Edited by MacDuck
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

sorry allow me a nooby question...

i am on singtel 200 mpbs plan...

how to check how fast my real speed is?

honestly since switching i dont really find any great improvement despite previously only on 10 mpbs with SH...

honestly since switching i dont really find any great improvement despite previously only on 10 mpbs with SH...

normal surfing dun really make much different i guess, the downloading of movie on my ipad is pretty fast :D

try from here http://www.speedtest.com.sg/speedtest.php but remember to plug the netwrk cable in to have more accurate n real download speed...

this speedtest apply to all telco network.

Edited by Rezorn86

normal surfing dun really make much different i guess, the downloading of movie on my ipad is pretty fast :D

oh ok...

ya i think recently i DL a hong kong drama also very fast...

maybe only helps in those...

does live streaming of football improve?

since Mio gonna start charging for UCL i think i need to start watching online again...

haiz...

Speedtest.net

make sure you select some overseas test server and not local Singapore server

another overblown specs for promo/ad.. ?

might as well say 1Tbps super duper fibre broadband plan with (-ehem-.. guaranteed 15Mbps speed)

and what's the use of the audit ? Fine ?

Fine is nothing compare to profit gained imho.

Reminds me of burger ad pic that looks no way near the real thing.

Or LTA fined SMRT $400k or $1.2M (cmiiw can't rem) but yet the breakdowns, slowdowns become daily 'justified' norms.

Customers won't see the point beside another wayang i'm afraid.

and we're told not to place our expectations too high while being asked how we want to shape our future?

haizzz..

sorry for ranting ^_^

Hi anyone living in the BTOs in punggol? I'd like to ask if theres a preferred ISP or preferred "NOT TO SUBSCRIBE" isp.

My cousins are warning me against Myrepublic even though there's a free 2 months trial they tell me not to waste my time.

Turbocharged

Hi anyone living in the BTOs in punggol? I'd like to ask if theres a preferred ISP or preferred "NOT TO SUBSCRIBE" isp.

My cousins are warning me against Myrepublic even though there's a free 2 months trial they tell me not to waste my time.

On what basis are they warning you against Myrepublic?

On what basis are they warning you against Myrepublic?

They said intermitten slowed speeds even though they are using wired access instead of WIFI..

Showed me speedtests printscreens which i see liao also tao hin.

What i want is just problem free, stable internet connection able to see at least 720p content on youtube thats all.

I hav MyRepubic free trial. very fast le. faster den stinktel.

hey bro, the free trial is really free right? No tricks?