Government launches websites to bust online rumours

Incidentalsingaporean

g220e.jpg

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...umours-20120922

By Rachel Chang

In a bid to cut through the swirl of rumour and distortion online, the Government has quietly launched a few "myth busting" initiatives. The first is a new section on its www.gov.sg website called "Factually". Since May, it has collected a series of primers on hot topics like the national reserves, certificates of entitlement and procurement processes.

They aim to give bite-sized answers to questions that have arisen over controversial decisions, such as the one in March to give $1.1 billion to bus operators to ramp up services. Taking things one step further, the Housing Board (HDB) two weeks ago started a new website known as HDB Speaks.

A first for government agencies here, its sole purpose is to address topics of controversy, like the affordability of resale HDB flats. One was recently been sold for more than $1 million.

Replete with bright graphics and written in a conversational style, it is a far cry from HDB's more sober main website, and aims to be a place where people can "get the facts on the myths about HDB" - its tagline. Both initiatives are works-in- progress, said the agencies in charge.

↡ Advertisement

I've got a snazzy name for the initiative: "Spin Singapore". :D

My other suggestion, "PAPagenda" is too obvious, I think. [laugh]

The best thing about news like this (for me) is that I can't wait to see what Mr. Brown does with it.

Edited by Turboflat4

I've got a snazzy name for the initiative: "Spin Singapore". :D

My other suggestion, "PAPagenda" is too obvious, I think. [laugh]

The best thing about news like this (for me) is that I can't wait to see what Mr. Brown does with it.

I find your lack of faith in the facts presented disturbing

I find your lack of faith in the facts presented disturbing

I find your continued pathetic existence as a clone of a multiply-banned troll even more disturbing. May the Farce be with you.

Edited by Turboflat4

Website got put $1k salary can buy hdb and cpf is enough to retire?

Don't "kpkb" hor.

BTW, that's a direct quote from our esteemed PM of Mee Siam mai hum fame. [laugh]

Poor man, he really is trying to reach out to the common folks. :D

Edited by Turboflat4

Website got put $1k salary can buy hdb and cpf is enough to retire?

Maybe we should start to burst the "gst is to help the poor" or "high inflation won't affect the poor" myth first?.... [laugh]

Well, fair enough. The people have their say on forums and websites, so the govt is also free to air their side of the story on website. Though I think their facts presented will just be fresh material for satire and jokes, and their explanations poked full of holes.

Maybe we should start to burst the "gst is to help the poor" or "high inflation won't affect the poor" myth first?.... [laugh]

I could never understand how "gst is to help the poor" scheme is. How many people actually benefited if any? The only thing I sometimes see is NTUC supermarket absorb gst or price remain low on in house products. Other than that, never see or hear anything. Where did all the gst money went to? [confused] [confused] [sly]

I could never understand how "gst is to help the poor" scheme is. How many people actually benefited if any? The only thing I sometimes see is NTUC supermarket absorb gst or price remain low on in house products. Other than that, never see or hear anything. Where did all the gst money went to? [confused] [confused] [sly]

I'm more curious on where the coe money went to since this is a car forum. ... [:p]

I could never understand how "gst is to help the poor" scheme is.

see ah, when things r too cheap,

the poor will be tempted to anyhow buy and waste wat little money they have.

so gahment helps them by making things more expensive,

then they can't anyhowly buy so many things or better yet,

they cannot afford to buy at all,

thus they will have more money [laugh]