Amaron Battery

VellfireS

Ok, then I must start to change.

Think mine coming to 3rd year..

Those indicator on battery, is it accurate?

I was told the healthy range is around 11 to 13v.

Anything fall below 10v, mean the battery is dying

I usually change within 2  to 2.5 years. One dead within 1 year 9 months. 

↡ Advertisement

i have one 6 months old Amaron died on a morning last Feb when I started the car and let go the brake pedal too soon. the engine started briefly and auto turned off. thereafter, when i crank, there was a tick tick tick sound at the front passenger dashboard but car cannot be started. got to call for a new battery from lexus road side assist. bring the Amaron back to the agent and they were puzzled why the battery died but nonetheless replaced me with a new one which i passed it on to my cousin.

Overall, Amaron usually has a better reliability than other brands. But that doesn't it's not prone to failure. It will generally last min 2 yrs.

I've seen many Amaron at 2 yrs with almost new CCA, while many brands already konked.

It seemed to have a weaker sealing that contributes to corrosion salt buildup. But these salt usually appears after 2 yrs. This can be pre-empted by not overtightening the terminal and greasing it.

Warranty is standard 1 yr for petrol-engine. 6-mths for diesel-engine.

But pls understand warranty does not cover flat battery. If you have a dashboard cam that is turned on 24 hrs when parked, no battery, however new, can just turnover the engine the next day, when it's drained flat.

If you need to replace battery 10 or 11 mths, you should check if it's just being flat or really a battery problem.

A real battery problem, a warranty issue; is either it has a low CCA or suffered from a shorted cell (10.6V); after being fully-charged.

I had one that lasted me 5 years.

My last amaron batt last for 3 years till I worry n decided to change a new one. Amaron batt again but was told to replace after less than 1.5 year when doing my servicing few days back. Was told Amaron now less reliable than b4. Damm,my car still got one more year to go.

• Praise 1

i have one 6 months old Amaron died on a morning last Feb when I started the car and let go the brake pedal too soon. the engine started briefly and auto turned off. thereafter, when i crank, there was a tick tick tick sound at the front passenger dashboard but car cannot be started. got to call for a new battery from lexus road side assist. bring the Amaron back to the agent and they were puzzled why the battery died but nonetheless replaced me with a new one which i passed it on to my cousin.

It might have a shorted cell due to the sudden surge and dropping of voltage when the engine alternator which is supposed to run but died suddenly when the engine goes off.

For any car, you should hold the start button or crank until the engine is fully running before letting go.

I've seen many people like to crank with full-load (radio, fan, lights) on and less than 1 second switch off or let go.

They expect the engine to run within 1 second, but it many case it doesn't.

So they crank once more, with a very short start.

This is all very stressful on the battery.

The heaviest surge current on the battery is only during the 1st second when the starter motor is spinning up.

Holding it for another second does not hurt the battery as much as the engine dying and then trying again.

• Praise 1

No worry now. I bought a voltage meter to monitor my battery health. Atleast know when he is dying.

Voltmeter is useful, but it only shows the state-of-charge of a battery.

It's useful for checking alternator charging, ie, should be around 14V and holding steady.

If the voltage swings erratically up and down, it can be a problem with the alternator voltage regulator or a weak battery pulling too much load on the alternator.

So, you should understand how the voltage works and not merely depend on a number.

When the engine is switched off, if the battery voltage drops fairly quickly, it might be a sign of weak electrolyte in the battery.

If it hold steady for quite a while, the battery is assumed to be good.

However, voltage alone cannot guarantee a good battery. It might have a low CCA, usually after 1~2 yrs, and still need to be replaced.

• Praise 2

hopefully i did no harm to the alternator. my car still fairly new, the i do not need to hold on to the start button to start the engine, that day when this happened, i remeber that i leave my foot off the brake pedal too soon and the engine which was just started got cut off. thanks.

It might have a shorted cell due to the sudden surge and dropping of voltage when the engine alternator which is supposed to run but died suddenly when the engine goes off.

For any car, you should hold the start button or crank until the engine is fully running before letting go.

I've seen many people like to crank with full-load (radio, fan, lights) on and less than 1 second switch off or let go.

They expect the engine to run within 1 second, but it many case it doesn't.

So they crank once more, with a very short start.

This is all very stressful on the battery.

The heaviest surge current on the battery is only during the 1st second when the starter motor is spinning up.

Holding it for another second does not hurt the battery as much as the engine dying and then trying again.

• Praise 1

My Amaron battery decided to give up after 10 months in service again! This is the 2nd one I had replaced under warranty when the first died on me at the 11th month.

Any good recommnendation for 80 AH battery? hear Odyssey is good. The Merc original cost S$380 bucks. Shall I just buy that?

All input welcome!

this is strange.  I have been using Amaron for years, and every pc lasted me really long, 2-3 years and one even lasted 4.5 years and all were still going strong before i decided to change.  None has died on me.

my ride is Honda and i didn't fixed anything additional ICE or whatever.  Only one amp and one box woofer.

What ride is yours and did u install any funny ICE or whatever? VS?

I also learnt that your driving habit will affect yr battery life. 

this is strange. I have been using Amaron for years, and every pc lasted me really long, 2-3 years and one even lasted 4.5 years and all were still going strong before i decided to change. None has died on me.

my ride is Honda and i didn't fixed anything additional ICE or whatever. Only one amp and one box woofer.

Thats really value for money. I usually changed out slightly under 2 years because i dont wanna be trapped with a dead battery.

Was looking at the prices in JB but not much of a dif. About 10 bucks cheaper

• Praise 1

this is strange.  I have been using Amaron for years, and every pc lasted me really long, 2-3 years and one even lasted 4.5 years and all were still going strong before i decided to change.  None has died on me.

my ride is Honda and i didn't fixed anything additional ICE or whatever.  Only one amp and one box woofer.

my is 4 years going 5. seems to be fine leh but i play it safe by keeping the battery on site replacement contact handy. 

• Praise 6

Guys, I found 1 seller in carousell that sells cheap battery and tyre.

25 kaki Bukit road 4 #01-55 synergy@kb.

Amaron 45ah is going for $85 instead of $100+.

They also got energizer. Something interesting, said to be better quality compare to amaron.

*ps, I'm not related to the shop nor seller. Just a typical cheapo seeking for value deal as my battery is turning 3.

• Praise 1

Bro, just driving a normal E Class. Ice has normal amp, a DVD player. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Driving habit? Hmmm how does it affect battery life wor!

Anyway, I suspect my workshop put in a lower AH battery. No time to check the old one. Swap it for a new Made in German Merc batt.

The best battery I ever had was those that needs to be maintained type. Brand was Yuasa. Used on my dad's 1980 Merc. Lasted 8 years!

Thats really value for money. I usually changed out slightly under 2 years because i dont wanna be trapped with a dead battery.
Was looking at the prices in JB but not much of a dif. About 10 bucks cheaper

Edited by Achtung

Bro, just driving a normal E Class. Ice has normal amp, a DVD player. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Driving habit? Hmmm how does it affect battery life wor!

Anyway, I suspect my workshop put in a lower AH battery. No time to check the old one. Swap it for a new Made in German Merc batt.

The best battery I ever had was those that needs to be maintained type. Brand was Yuasa. Used on my dad's 1980 Merc. Lasted 8 years!

agreed. those that need to top up battery water last longest. too bad they started to phrase them now out.

Supercharged

ok. now my interest is piqued!

how does driving habit affect the battery life?

i tot once the car started, the alternator is the one powering all the electronics.