Bus driver to face disciplinary action for insult.

Mustank

And I wonder what your intentions are in posting this?

Everyone has a personal choice and freedom to choose

and do what they want, it is not for anyone to ridicule them,

poke fun at their expense etc....

They have a right to choose how to lead their life,

just as everyone else chose to do such.

They are still humans, gays, transgender, men,women.

Red blood still runs in their veins just like everyone else,

and like everyone also, they all expect some respect.

What a std template answer!!!

So what is SBS going to do the driver? Send a warning letter? How does it help the victim.

it is reported in today newspaper mah.....since inappropirate/sensitive, Mod please delete....... i apologise [blush][blush][blush]

I used to scold ppl chao ah gua chao ah gua... but ever since I've known quite a few gay friends... I changed it to ccb, then I got married... i stopped scolding vulgarities altogether... cos nothing to use to scold liao.

Not sure what Mustank's intention was, but I think the article serves as a good reminder of respect for people. Should let the thread continue. [:)]

I used to scold ppl chao ah gua chao ah gua... but ever since I've known quite a few gay friends... I changed it to ccb, then I got married... i stopped scolding vulgarities altogether... cos nothing to use to scold liao.

Start scolding ppl rich!

U will be rich soon haha

Not sure what Mustank's intention was, but I think the article serves as a good reminder of respect for people. Should let the thread continue. [:)]

I agree - and while the thread title may be poking fun at the victim, the content of the published article is good food for thought.

The article is re-posted below.

http://www.fridae.asia/newsfeatures/2012/1...on-for-gay-slur

Singapore: Bus driver to face disciplinary action for gay slur

by Sylvia Tan

In a first of its kind case to be reported, an employee of a bus company in Singapore will face disciplinary action after using a gay slur on a female passenger in public.

Advertisement

SBS Transit has confirmed that it will take disciplinary action against its driver for verbally abusing a passenger.

Leona Lo, a public relations consultant and transgender woman, reported being called an “ah kua” by a SBS Transit bus driver at the Bedok Temporary Interchange on Tuesday morning. The derogatory term in the Hokkien dialect is commonly used to taunt effeminate men or transgender women.

Above: Leona Lo

In a letter to the bus company, Lo said: “As I was making my way to the MRT station, a SBS bus driver yelled "Ah Kua" and his colleagues – all wearing SBS uniforms - started hooting and clapping.”

The bus company did not respond directly to Lo but when contacted by Fridae, SBS Transit spokesperson Tammy Tan said on Wednesday that they have “conducted an investigation and identified the Bus Captain in question.”

“He is deeply apologetic and we will be taking disciplinary action against him. I would like to extend my deep regret to the complainant and to assure her that this is not something we at SBS Transit condone.”

Tan, who is Senior Vice President of Group Corporate Communications at ComfortDelgro which owns SBS Transit, declined to reveal what disciplinary action will be taken citing company policies but added that the incident “is not something we condone and take lightly to.”

She added that this is the first time the company has received a complaint involving an employee using a gay slur on a passenger or member of the public.

When asked about whether the company provides diversity training for its employees as Lo had offered to give a talk on diversity at no charge, Tan said the company has in place “internal training processes which cover a wide range of topics.”

Lo told Fridae she hopes the incident will be a learning experience for all. “We need to report such incidents to ensure that history does not repeat itself.”

“I've received emails from transgender women humiliated by bouncers at nightclubs but when I ask them for an incident report they back out for fear of ‘reprisals’. In 2007, Lo offered to conduct diversity training for the employees of a bar where she was asked leave after she was told that the venue did not welcome “lady boys”.

“Until we can stand up for ourselves and believe in our right to live a life free from harassment, the door to bullying and abuse will remain wide open,” she added.

http://leonalo.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/th...eally-happened/

The SBS Incident – What Really Happened

Posted: October 3, 2012 | Author: leonalo | Filed under: Ah Kua Show, Just be yourself, Life & Art, Motivational, Singapore This Morning |Leave a comment

Edited by Bighappyjer

I had no intent to close the thread, only to bring forth to him about people's right to choose how they lead their lives

and not ridicule them.

she appeared in strait times before and tv i think.

anyway her pic is in the link.

Edited by Babyt

Turbocharged

i think people need to worry about their own lives, rather than to interfere with the decisions of others. if Leona feels more comfortable as a woman, so be it. she doesnt seem to be hurting anyone, or trying to force her beliefs on others. we should have a zero tolerance policy for discrimination, especially when its done by say, a bus driver, since he is at the forefront of customer service.

if it were up to me to discipline him, it would entail him naming those who cheered him on, and then all of them would have to attend mandatory classes to understand trans-gender issues. they may take it as a joke, but maybe it'll at least change 1-2 of them (hopefully). alternatively, if he chooses to be a hero and bear everything on his shoulders, he should be demoted immediately (im not so heartless to fire him ... yet :P )

she appeared in strait times before and tv i think.

anyway her pic is in the link.

Yes, she was interviewed about her choice and why she did it.

↡ Advertisement