Who Is Amy Cheong?

Yrvsport

Turbocharged

Yeah - that is the point trying to make, is not company time, so none of company business.

Can sack on "public interest"?

I think is premature for that. If this has a detrimental effect on her getting her job done, then fine. (eg: remember the Aware lady who was with DBS credit cards? I think it was wise of the bank to give new posting as that saga sure affect her)

But unless or until it does, they should have left her alone.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

so u saying on a sunday or during his vacations Obama can say "stupid white trash or good for nothing latinos" on his facebook and then face no censure!

1. He is the commander in chief - who is going to "fire" him?

2. Absolutely - but of course, Americans are then free to judge whether they want to vote for him or not.

BTW - what do you mean by censure? Normally it is scolding, or some form of curtailed privileges...

Edited by Darryn

Can we get all those who are offended by her comments to line up and give her a slap each? After slapping, must remember to say sorry hor... [:p]

When can I queue? :wacko:

so u saying on a sunday Obama can say "stupid white trash or good for nothing latinos" on his facebook and then face no censure!

He will turn around and tell you, human rights & 'freedom of speech' .... -_-

That's why the film producer insensitive to other religions which resulted in a death of a US Ambassador... [:(]

1. He is the commander in chief - who is going to "fire" him?

2. Absolutely - but of course, Americans are then free to judge whether they want to vote for him or not.

BTW - what do you mean by censure? Normally it is scolding, or some form of curtailed privileges...

something along that line lar! maybe a redress or vote of no confident from the pple he maligned!

Neutral Newbie

so u saying on a sunday or during his vacations Obama can say "stupid white trash or good for nothing latinos" on his facebook and then face no censure!

er..Tis Darryn i suspect coming from Malaysia....so Darryn u from Malaysia? Feeling kind of oppress there dats y feel nice to release some steam here ah???

Edited by ThePeak

Turbocharged

something along that line lar! maybe a redress or vote of no confident from the pple he maligned!

Hmmm...there is a mechanism for congress to "fire" him I think.....but not so easy as all that.

They can go for impeachment - but that is more for illegality that stupidity.

While this incident started as a gaffe on one person's part, the response it provoked has revealed the true colours of many Singaporeans. [rolleyes]

He will turn around and tell you, human rights & 'freedom of speech' .... -_-

That's why the film producer insensitive to other religions which resulted in a death of a US Ambassador... [:(]

aiyah! whats there to get so angry ovr that film? to me its not a potrayal of facts so why should i get angry! They can always say freedom of speech when they want to...so just let it be! [:)]

Wrong decision because your employer should not be regulating what you do outside of company time.

If she is charged and found guilty, by all means fire her.

If not, and until such time, she has everyright to expect that what she does outside of company time is no business of the company.

She has been fired because they don't like her comments. I don't care how serious they are, that's what it boils down to.

Should you be fired for doing something in your own time that your boss doesn't like?

ah, but you see, this is of something more serious than just doing something your boss doesn

Turbocharged

[wave][rolleyes]:blink:

You know,

I know a few proverbs to apply to people like you,

the first is that it is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Although not exactly a proverb, it is also a good idea to have at least some idea what the fark you are talking about before leaping in and making yourself look like an idiot.

To be clear...this fellow Lionel de Souza is from PAP right? Not WP grassroot right?

ermm....the term grassroots means is only from pap....opposition parties do not have grassroots...

Turbocharged

aiyah! whats there to get so angry ovr that film? to me its not a potrayal of facts so why should i get angry! They can always say freedom of speech when they want to...so just let it be! [:)]

Yep you pretty much summed it up -

It's a film produced by an angry, ignorant man trying to justify his anger and ignorance by making people react angrily - and guess what? The stupid reacted angrily and ignorantly

er..Tis Darryn i suspect coming from Malaysia....so Darryn u from Malaysia? Feeling kind of oppress there dats y feel nice to release some steam here ah???

bro......he is a SPR from NZ.....but that has got nothing to do with the issue!

Wrong decision because your employer should not be regulating what you do outside of company time.

If she is charged and found guilty, by all means fire her.

If not, and until such time, she has everyright to expect that what she does outside of company time is no business of the company.

She has been fired because they don't like her comments. I don't care how serious they are, that's what it boils down to.

Should you be fired for doing something in your own time that your boss doesn't like?

Actually, this sort of thing happens all the time in "ang moh countries" too (to borrow a phrase from TJKBeluga). Here are some examples from down under, so they should be close to your heart:

OZ: http://www.hcamag.com/article/employee-fir...t-i-129243.aspx

Two cases summarised. The first employee was reinstated by Fair Work Australia, but the second wasn't:

In the recent case of Damien O'Keefe v Williams Muir's Pty Ltd T/A Troy Williams The Good Guys [2011] FWA 5311 (August 11, 2011) an unfair dismissal application was dismissed in part because of the strong policies held by the Good Guys company.

The employee had been sacked for serious misconduct after posting derogatory comments about the employer on his Facebook profile.

Despite the employee making the comments on a personal computer outside of work hours, the court found in favour of the Good Guys, largely because the company had a clear and comprehensive employee handbook covering the way staff should communicate with each other as well as spelling out firm bullying and harassment policies.

That's the key: if the employee has entered into a contract with the employer that proscribes that sort of behaviour, then the employee can expect termination if he/she contravenes the terms of the contract.

NZ: Another case, this time from NZ. Didn't actually get fired, but came close enough make the news: http://digitaljournal.com/article/303470

Restaurant General Manager Kurt Douglas cited in his letter to Tyler that her act of posting the comment on her friend's Facebook page was in violation of the Serious Misconduct policies of the company which included "posting on social networking sites any statements that are contrary to the employment relationship, or likely to bring the organization into disrepute."

There it is again. And AFAIK, a lot of (if not most) Sg employers have the same sort of boilerplate included in their employment contracts.

Edited by Turboflat4

Yep you pretty much summed it up -

It's a film produced by an angry, ignorant man trying to justify his anger and ignorance by making people react angrily - and guess what? The stupid reacted angrily and ignorantly

ya hor! those guys who rioted no have o or a level mar...what u expect from pple who have no o or a levels! they take things too personal. Actually i told my fb friends to remain calm and not fall into he stereotype [thumbsup]