"Rich Dad Poor Dad" author declares bankrupt

Berncsp76

Epic fail...gives advice but at the end still faces such a dilemma..think most business people reads his book and some advices are quite good...but how come he faces such a situation [confused]

Article

Rich Dad, Poor Dad now a bankrupt dad: Best-selling author files for corporate bankruptcy after losing $24m judgement

The financial guru behind New York Times bestseller Rich Dad, Poor Dad has filed for bankruptcy on one of his companies after losing a $24 million judgement.

This April, Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Global LLC was ordered to pay $23,687,957.21 to the Learning Annex and its founder and chairman, Bill Zanker.

Kiyosaki had used the Learning Annex platform to organize several high profile speaking engagements, including a 2002 appearance at Madison Square Garden.....

↡ Advertisement

One of his limited liability companies is bankrupt lah, not himself lah.

The article already said he will not be putting his own personal wealth towards the judgement lah.

That's what limited liability companies are for lah.

Go google "legal person". A limited liability corporation is viewed as a legal person under the law. Coporate bankruptcy only means that the assets of the legal person is forfeited. i don't think this fella is so stupid to put all of his personal assets under the holdings of his companies. Bankrupt dad? maybe not.

Epic fail...gives advice but at the end still faces such a dilemma..think most business people reads his book and some advices are quite good...but how come he faces such a situation [confused]

Article

Rich Dad, Poor Dad now a bankrupt dad: Best-selling author files for corporate bankruptcy after losing $24m judgement

The financial guru behind New York Times bestseller Rich Dad, Poor Dad has filed for bankruptcy on one of his companies after losing a $24 million judgement.

This April, Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Global LLC was ordered to pay $23,687,957.21 to the Learning Annex and its founder and chairman, Bill Zanker.

Kiyosaki had used the Learning Annex platform to organize several high profile speaking engagements, including a 2002 appearance at Madison Square Garden.....

In fact quite smart to declare bankrupt so he don't have to pay much if anything at all :D

I think the bankruptcy was filed only on one of his companies, and its a LLC, so he may not be bankrupt....thats part of the reason why they setup limited liability companies...

But still, he is suppossed to be a financial whiz, so what happened here?

Er that may not necessarily be true. I dont know about the Ch11 process in the US but here in singapore being made a bankrupt also means that all your monthly income and liquid assets come under the management of a court appointed official assignee (OA)

The OA allocates the bulk of these towards partial settlement of all the amounts owing to the judgement creditors....

In short life will be very subsistence level....and he cant be a director of a company too...and i suspect similar arrangements will apply for Ch11s in the US....

In fact quite smart to declare bankrupt so he don't have to pay much if anything at all :D

Edited by Soonmunn

company declare bankrupt, close shop and then chop chop open another shop -> same owner [thumbsup]

btw, are there still many $2 company in spore nowadays? [laugh]

Edited by Wt_know

write book and preach is one thing, doing actual business is another thing. another example was the duno what 7 effective... his business also bankrupt one [laugh]

company declare bankrupt, close shop and then chop chop open another shop -> same owner [thumbsup]

'corporate bankruptcy' not 'personal bankruptcy' [laugh]

His book's contents all came from his brain. not based in reality. Nothing surprising.

I find it more amusing that many people quote him as an inspiration ... [rolleyes]

I think the price increase to $250/-, thats for registration a company with ROC... :blink:

Er that may not necessarily be true. I dont know about the Ch11 process in the US but here in singapore being made a bankrupt also means that all your monthly income and liquid assets come under the management of a court appointed official assignee (OA)

The OA allocates the bulk of these towards partial settlement of all the amounts owing to the judgement creditors....

In short life will be very subsistence level....and he cant be a director of a company too...and i suspect similar arrangements will apply for Ch11s in the US....

That's personal bankruptcy. His is corporate (which is limited liability btw) bankruptcy. Both are 2 very different things.

↡ Advertisement