Causes of Food poisoning

Darthrevan

Actually, what I've learnt while I was in virology and immunology back then was... Being too clean has other detrimental effects too.

For example, you don't see Auto-Immune diseases in countries like Africa, but in developed countries, auto-immune diseases exists.

While it may be a trade off that we live longer, it doesn't necessarily mean we live healthier.

I'd say the old grandmother saying that " a little of dirt is good for you " ^_^

You're talking, of course, of the Hygiene Hypothesis.

There is good evidence behind this. But take note that modern Singapore at its dirtiest, is still not dirty enough to provide a meaningful childhood immune boost. For example, helminth (worm) parasites are thought to be very important in providing that immune boost. You'll find that parasitic infections acquired in Sg are vanishingly low in numbers. So you can't really reap the assumed benefits of "unhygiene" in Singapore. And, in the context of this thread, telling people to carelessly handle money contaminated with enteropathogenic bacteria (the ones that cause food poisoning) is just going to make them sick without any payoff in terms of reduced risk of asthma or autoimmune disease.

Also keep in mind that the third world countries which are "dirty" enough to have a strong effect end up having increased infant and childhood mortality due to infectious diseases. For example, polio is a dread childhood disease that has been pretty much eradicated in the developed world, but continues to plague some developing countries. If you ask me, I'd rather accept the increased risk of asthma (which can be eminently managed) and even autoimmune disease (rare, anyway, and controllable) than subject ourselves to the full-horrors of the third world germ spectrum. What might be useful is a targeted approach - identify what's "good" about their germs and try and use only that - like helminthic therapy.

Perhaps it could be due to advancement and availability of medical care?

Actually the introduction of public health measures (good sanitation, improved hygiene practices, etc.) had the first massive effect on improving life expectancy and reducing disease. These work principally by reducing the load of germs and containing their spread.

Edited by Turboflat4

I am searching for a YouTube video.

Its about how a simple bank note passing from one person to another.

Along the process it generates a lot of business. Very meaningful and education.

If you find it can you provide the link. Tks.

This morning i went to the coffe shop for breakfast. I gave the auntie $50 for wanton mee. Keep the change. Then kopi-o i gave uncle $10. Keep the change. Someone better think of a solution fast. I cannot keep this up for much longer. [:(]

Edited by Bavarian

This morning i went to the coffe shop for breakfast. I gave the auntie $50 for wanton mee. Keep the change. Then kopi-o i gave uncle $10. Keep the change. Someone better think of a solution fast. I cannot keep this up for much longer. [:(]

Just tell them to put the amt you paid in some form of a register and deduct accordingly everytime you order there loh......... [laugh]

That's why they made $2, 5 and 10 the commonly used notes in polymer plastic. Meant for you to wash if you want to. :D

Edited by Kangadrool

Supercharged

I am searching for a YouTube video.

Its about how a simple bank note passing from one person to another.

Along the process it generates a lot of business. Very meaningful and education.

If you find it can you provide the link. Tks.

It's called Multipler Effect?

Supercharged

That's I like the HK system. Use Octopus Card to pay almost anything.

I don't know why we can't do it here.

Imagine we can be cashless in everywhere. No need to use physical money

That's I like the HK system. Use Octopus Card to pay almost anything.

I don't know why we can't do it here.

Imagine we can be cashless in everywhere. No need to use physical money

When cashcard was introduced, the garment have the intention to be like the Octopus card.........but don't know why the 'fire' in the garment died down after that......... [laugh]

Supercharged

When cashcard was introduced, the garment have the intention to be like the Octopus card.........but don't know why the 'fire' in the garment died down after that......... [laugh]

Coz NETS wants to chop carrot. They wan to charge for every transaction...... Damm sickening

I still think that cashcard, being "currency" albielt in electronic form should be issued and controlled by gahment, and not leave it to private enterprises with so many companies trying to introduce their own version and their own limitations and conditions. Thus, leading to fragmentation.

I do not agree

- that we should pay for card fee, admin fee and all kind of service charges imposed for cash card usage. (Shouldn't we get discounts instead as it simplifies cash collection/banking and improve security???)

- there should be no expiry to your hard earned e-cash? (Does your legal tender coins and dollar notes expire?)

Coz NETS wants to chop carrot. They wan to charge for every transaction...... Damm sickening

That's why even got some merchants prefer cash transactions than using NETS...... [furious]

↡ Advertisement