If you break an item in shop, do you pay for it?

Columbian78

Shops that sell and display items like souvenirs and glasswares usually has a notice saying you are liable to buy items that you break. I recall reading an article somewhere that says that such notices are not legally binding. I think it is becasue you did not agreed to it and hence there is no contract agreement or something like that. If you break a display item in a shop in Singapore, you are only liable to pay for the cost of replacing that item. I think this means the item cost price for the retailer and is usually lower than the retail price. Even then, it must be proven to be your own negligence and not the shops's (e.g. the item was placed hazardously and can easily dop).

Can anyone verify if this is true? Lets share your experiences. I have 2.

When I was 17 and ignorant, I accidentally dropped and broke a clock in a small souvenir shop. The clock was not hung securely and my mere initial contact caused it to drop. The shop owner made me pay for the full retail price. I did not have the cash (about $20) and he even withheld my nric while i went to the atm. I ended up "buying" the damaged clock.

Recently, I accidentally dropped a thermal food container at a big departmental store. The lid was not closed properly and I lifted it using the handle on the lid. It is that type that has glass interior and it shattered as it dropped on the floor, basically totalled. The surrounding staff kept saying i must pay for it, etc etc. Subsequently, a staff said it is ok, they will return to their supplier and I need not pay.

↡ Advertisement

Is not legally binding... and it will be a waste of time arguing with the shop owners on that.

So the best is, watch where you walk and touch.

no...don't have to pay...if they put it in the open for people to touch or reachable, then they should have expected damages, if not, put them in locked showcases....

also, those phrases on receipt saying goods sold not returnable is also not legal binding...this is where merchants dunno the sales of goods act in our law....

you got a butter hands [laugh]

for me, applies for my niece and nephew, if you not going to buy it, don't touch it

Not sure whether statistically I am a careless person. I have 2 such incidents in my lifetime of 34 years.

I am concern about cases where it is not entirely due to my fault. In car accidents, there is apportionment of fault and each party pays according to the apportion. If the item is placed precariously (whether by shop or another customer) such that a person with reasonably good handling cannot prevent the damage, then I think that person has the right not to be fully responsible.

I did a brief internet search. It seems in US the law says you need not pay the retail price and major retailers have policy that you need not pay. It will be absorbed as part of their business costs.

This thread is to understand the law and the rights of the consumer in Singapore, so that we know what to do in such an event.

Not sure whether statistically I am a careless person. I have 2 such incidents in my lifetime of 34 years.

I am concern about cases where it is not entirely due to my fault. In car accidents, there is apportionment of fault and each party pays according to the apportion. If the item is placed precariously (whether by shop or another customer) such that a person with reasonably good handling cannot prevent the damage, then I think that person has the right not to be fully responsible.

I did a brief internet search. It seems in US the law says you need not pay the retail price and major retailers have policy that you need not pay. It will be absorbed as part of their business costs.

This thread is to understand the law and the rights of the consumer in Singapore, so that we know what to do in such an event.

Out of good will if its your fault, then pay it.

These shop owners are also making a living lah. If you don't break it, they could have sold it to substain their business and make a little profit.

Then again, if you know you are careless then be more careful in future then.

if someone accidentally break your car's side mirror or door window, will you ask him to pay ?

this is different liaoz...the item it not for sale and personal property....if the fella dun pay, then break his arm...hehehe

I don't think they have the rights to withhold your IC or even to take a look at your IC.

They can call the polis if they want.

Doubt polis can do anything.

Noticed that the privacy law here is very lax. Everything, everywhere must produce IC even if it got nothing to do with it.

Or just tell them you didn't bring IC out. Even polis can't charge you if you didn't bring IC out. They most polis will follow you to your home to verify your IC.

Edited by Kangadrool

Out of good will if its your fault, then pay it.

These shop owners are also making a living lah. If you don't break it, they could have sold it to substain their business and make a little profit.

Then again, if you know you are careless then be more careful in future then.

I agree with you. If I know it is really my fault, i should take responsibility and not make a fuss, especially for small retailers. I believe for big retailers, usually they can return to their suppliers. It is considered part of their business costs.

In my second case, the broken item is an old display set. There are obvious signs of age on the exterior. I would defnitely not expect to pay even the original cost price if I broke it. In such a case, if the retailer tried to enforce their policy, I would like to know my rights.

Supercharged

no worries, i understand. i'm also 34 but made numerous erroneous acts.

i understand your intention ^_^

if someone accidentally break your car's side mirror or door window, will you ask him to pay ?

The shop is a business and invites people to come in and browse and touch their displayed items.

Auto insurance is different and the laws and insurance are clear on this.

↡ Advertisement