ST Forum:Using Cellphone While Driving Is A Serious Offence

Vulcann

Hi, just a gentle reminder from our friendly neighbourhood mata [wave] :

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...police-20121025

Using cellphone while driving is a serious offence: Police

Published on Oct 25, 2012

ST_20121025_25REPLYPOLICE_3356915e.jpg

Drivers who use mobile phones while driving face a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment of up to six months, or both. -- ST PHOTO ILLUSTRATION

THE use of a mobile phone while driving is very dangerous and irresponsible ("Why confiscate traffic offender's cellphone?" by Mr David Leong; Oct 6).

Drivers who commit additional traffic offences concurrently, such as speeding or reckless driving, will be prosecuted in court.

The offence of using a mobile phone while driving is punishable with a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment of up to six months, or both.

Repeat offenders face a harsher punishment of a fine of up to $2,000 or imprisonment of up to 12 months, or both. In addition, they may face disqualification from driving and forfeiture of their mobile phones.

While the mobile phone has to be seized as evidence for investigations, the phone's SIM card may be returned to the driver.

For cases where a composition may be offered, drivers can make arrangements to collect their mobile phones from the Traffic Police Department once the composition fines have been paid and 12 demerit points awarded.

Driving while using the mobile phone is dangerous not only to the drivers, but also to other road users.

Be responsible and do not use your mobile phone while driving. A driver who wishes to use the phone should ask his passenger to make or receive calls on his behalf.

If travelling alone, drivers are advised to stop at the nearest carpark to make calls. Those who use hands-free kits should try to keep the conversation short.

Fong Weng Kiong

Assistant Director, Media Relations (Covering)

Public Affairs Department

Singapore Police Force

↡ Advertisement

The article that triggered this "reminder":

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...-point-20121006

My point

Published on Oct 06, 2012

Why confiscate traffic offender's cellphone?

MY EMPLOYEE was recently issued a summons by the Traffic Police for using her cellphone without a hands-free kit while driving.

She was told that she would be fined and given 12 demerit points.

Her phone was also confiscated, and she was told that she would most likely not get it back, or that it would take a few months for it to be returned.

The cellphone contains important and sensitive data that is critical to the company.

If the offence can be compounded with a fine and the offender has been given demerit points, why is there a need to confiscate the phone?

David Leong

Neutral Newbie

In 1998 one joker used hp, and his action killed 3 innocent ppl, along Bendemeer/Kallang Rd,hope history do not repeat itself,TP pls take action.

on contrary I see more people doing that on the road, even truck and lorry driver :angry: :angry:

yes alot nowadays....especially lorry drivers, van drivers....

on contrary I see more people doing that on the road, even truck and lorry driver :angry: :angry:

I've seen motorbikers do this too. :ph34r:

if the phone is on a phone holder. what can do, what cannot do? Techically you are not holding on to the phone..

I normally receive call using speaker mode and make call using siri plus speaker

Edited by Baphomet

yes alot nowadays....especially lorry drivers, van drivers....

more and more are challenging the law meaning not many get caught yet <_< <_<

I had a video of a driver who was talking on e phone she drove out of her parking lot without checking. as a result, she almost crashed into my car. if u were me what would u do? send to traffic police?

In 1998 one joker used hp, and his action killed 3 innocent ppl, along Bendemeer/Kallang Rd,hope history do not repeat itself,TP pls take action.

I think I remember this one.

Culprit was the son of a used car mechant right?

Yup, that is the one in 1998, Vulcann.

Quite a tragic case then...

And after this horrigible case they started to put bollards at bus-stops yes?

↡ Advertisement