Volkswagen Passat 1.8

Ario

Neutral Newbie

Hey pros here... i am considering to buy 2015/2016 used B8 1.8. Any owner here can share the reliability especially on the gearbox? Thanks!

6 hours ago, Cltan86 said:

Hey pros here... i am considering to buy 2015/2016 used B8 1.8. Any owner here can share the reliability especially on the gearbox? Thanks!

Depends on your Luck...i mean the Ex-Owner...type of Driving,if the Ex-Owner is mostly Highway Driving,it is alright,if the Ex-Owner like to go M'sia & got Jam 2-3 Hours every Weekend...then good luck to you.

• Praise 1

On 2/13/2020 at 12:54 AM, Cltan86 said:

Try to shop for newer version. The old version has very bad gearbox reputation. My family Passat visited the workshop out number my malaysia trips. Additional to this, spare parts will take up to 10weeks to arrive. So, your car will sit idling in workshop

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Tcx607 said:

Try to shop for newer version. The old version has very bad gearbox reputation. My family Passat visited the workshop out number my malaysia trips. Additional to this, spare parts will take up to 10weeks to arrive. So, your car will sit idling in workshop

Is it dry or wet clutch?

Neutral Newbie

Try this telegram channel. Link removed by mod. 

You can ask the dealer any question and they will answer to your questions. Be it pricing and etc... 

They also have other type of car model. They have photos uploaded inside. 

I'm sorry to add and share with my previous VW Passat car .( 3 models- Passat 1.8cc,  Passat coupe 1.8cc and VW Tiguan 2.0 )

Most of VW cars are average moderately, interns of performance and after sale value, nothing to shout about and don't go complaining why so, primarily it coincide with market's review and feedbacks on the wet and dry cloth plus the infamous Megatronic ( Gear Box ) issues , this portion I believe i had shared in another chat here, on how be fit can be.

Passat 1.8cc, ( Year early 1990s era )- A good and spontaneous car, with its Turbo charged engine and less problem, only ear and tear on battery and tyre, I can't remb visiting any W/s repair. Rate : 4/5

Passat 1.8 coupe,( Year 2014/15 ) - loads of issue and megatronic, failed me badly despite repeated gear-box problem, leaves my car 2/3 days for repairs, damages: $3-4K  X 3 times ( almost 9K + ) yet the same problem persists, last straw it died on me on a friday afternoon, Had to tow to w/s and can't even start, final destination is Up lorry and scrapped, good things was the engine can still be repaired, but i figured out to let it go . . .Rate : 2.5/5

Tiguan Compact SUV- Solidly built compact, normal wear and tear,changed  shock absorbers, Brake disc, pad and flushed EPC, Manifold value was main culprit, totally changed new one yet it failed to recover fully, despite its down side, still drive till one month less for Scrapped, got back a reasonable Parf and body returns Rate: 3/5

Verdict, Never buy a VW car simply put VW stands for : " VISIT WORKSHOP "

U can quote me. [laugh] [drivingcar]

Neutral Newbie

hi, i just bought a 1.8 passat comfortline last weekend. Is there any passat group around that i can join ? previously was driving a 1.4 golf highline 

U have been warned, I saw dozens of Mechatronics pieces waiting for replacement at a workshop in Eastern part of Sp.

This Jetta, SriRocco, Pcc or Passat are very unreliable, transmission sr constant issues with VW cars. of course with German made cars has the same issues but not as frequent as VW cars. U will cry big time.

@Meanmachine People buying German Cars,always thought German Cars better,let them buy....For the Same Price,if you ask the get the Camry Hybrid,they will said how a Japanese Car beat a German Car.?

Neutral Newbie

@Meanmachine I have different experience though.  I drove my first Passat from 2005 - 2010.  It had many electronics issues then, but no issues with engine and was a pleasure to drive.  

Switched to Honda after that, not much issues, but also no joy of driving.

I am now driving my 2nd Passat, 5th year at the moment.  Reliability improved a lot compared to my 1st Passat.  So far about 2-3 wheel sensor issues  (mainly sensor wear-and-tear), but more importantly, it is a pleasure to drive the car every day.

Edited by ahtoobahn
  • Praise 4

Bought a new 1.8t 2 yrs ago at around 10k dep, very rewarding experience so far. It was around same price as camry and slightly more ex than mz6. Having owned 4 japs previously, i can say VW is better in many areas. If after the 5yr warranty, i need to spend some money to fix the gb, so be it. It is worth every penny.

Edited by WWbarb
  • Praise 2

4 hours ago, WWbarb said:

Bought a new 1.8t 2 yrs ago at around 10k dep, very rewarding experience so far. It was around same price as camry and slightly more ex than mz6. Having owned 4 japs previously, i can say VW is better in many areas. If after the 5yr warranty, i need to spend some money to fix the gb, so be it. It is worth every penny.

2 years still new,3 or 4 Years later then talk..

5 hours ago, WWbarb said:

Glad to know you enjoyed your car so much. May I know what is your mileage so far?

↡ Advertisement