Volkswagen Passat 1.8

Ario

18 hours ago, ahtoobahn said:

@Meanmachine I have different experience though.  I drove my first Passat from 2005 - 2010.  It had many electronics issues then, but no issues with engine and was a pleasure to drive.  

Switched to Honda after that, not much issues, but also no joy of driving.

I am now driving my 2nd Passat, 5th year at the moment.  Reliability improved a lot compared to my 1st Passat.  So far about 2-3 wheel sensor issues  (mainly sensor wear-and-tear), but more importantly, it is a pleasure to drive the car every day.

With u on this! I'm fully prepared for cars that require a little more maintenance and yet is a joy to drive. 

My first car was a Mazda of which I drove 10 years from brand new to scrap - Mileage was around 250+K KM. No problems except for usual wear and tear. Rock solid! But it's just a utility car until I experienced conti ride. I was blown away, never knew i can enjoy driving so much. It was a Citroen DS4, but the relaibility of the car is really a pain in the ass! After the 3 yr warranty ends, things start falling apart like high pressure fuel pump, gearbox, engine ignition system, air con compressor, cooling pump leakage etc etc... 

Long story short - i switched to german, now on my 2nd german ride and so far so good. Much more reliable than french makes.

My recommendation to conti ride lovers, go with your heart - but just make sure your car is still covered under warranty. 

Edited by Rickster

1 minute ago, WWbarb said:

@Rickster 35k km.

Wow, that's still quite low.

I'm a high mileage driver, clocking around 25-30K KM per year. So ya, a car that is not reliable will die on my very fast.

2 minutes ago, WWbarb said:

@ER-3682 just stay happy with your camry n dun b so sour

Jap cars do have its merits when it comes to reliability, really depends on what a person wants a car for. 

For many who just want a point A to B reliable transport. Jap/Korean makes is the way to go.

For people who enjoys the drive, tend to go conti despite knowing it usually requires higher maintenance.

Btw, the latest camry 2.5 hybrid on the TNGA platform is quite good to drive. Won't lose out much to the B8 Passat.

• Praise 2

@Rickster i have no doubts about that. My next car could be German, French, Swedish, Spanish, Czech, Korean, Jap or even Chinese. Life is short, give yourself more options haha

45 minutes ago, WWbarb said:

@ER-3682 just stay happy with your camry n dun b so sour

I have both a BMW & Camry,so i knew German Cars more problems in the long run...but my BMW is of course better to drive.

Edited by ER-3682
  • Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

I have both a BMW & Camry,so i knew German Cars more problems in the long run...but my BMW is of course better to drive.

I believe your 240 should be more fun than Passat😜

• Praise 1

@ER-3682 Sometimes ppl will think what's the point of having a car that's problem free but doesn't make you smile every time you gets behind the wheel... Anyway Camry is a good choice w the new TNGA platform.

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

I believe your 240 should be more fun than Passat😜

Yes..of course..esp the sweet in-line 6 & tuned to 382 Bhp with near 600 Nm of Torque.

• Haha! 1

one thing's proven for german cars , esp in our climate, is timed to fail. coolant leak, wheel sensor up lorry, oil leak etc...all brands same

No need to condemn conti car until no tomorrow. 

Jap or korean has their fair share and not exactly bullet proof, many owners however simply keep mum nia.

I'm lookin at a 2017 Passat, any owners have failed GB/Mechatronics/piston issues so far? 

My previous scirocco was quite OK (only regular wear and tear) despite the doomsayers.. Duno is luck or wad haha

@oleoleole Hi there... I am driving a 2017 Passat. While approaching 4th year, I needed replacements for wheel sensors.  There were also some undercarriage sounds (driving over humps) which was addressed by VW workshop.  Other than that, no major issues.  In this aspect, the experience is comparable to my previous Japanese makes.

All the best in your car search! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1