SDP launches "inclusive" housing manifesto

Scion

Turbocharged

wah, i'm impressed... not really by their proposal but their effort to come out with such a detailed plan [thumbsup]

they might be the dark horse in 2016

The Singapore Democratic Party launched its housing plan for Singapore yesterday during a press conference at the Quality Hotel.

Led by party secretary-general Dr Chee Soon Juan, members of the party introduced a plan that focused on the creation of two separate housing markets as a means to keep property prices down while increasing the supply of cheaper flats.

Criticizing current housing policy as a

↡ Advertisement

over the past few years...they came out with a number of alternative proposal and some do make sense....but it was never being made known to the public....for the obvious reason that you know I know.....

Yeah, MIW will never admit this is their fault... dun even talk about adopting some strategy from oppo.

We should throw away MIW and give this guys a chance

Edited by Actan72

The only way this scheme would work in my mind is building lots of housing quickly. I thought the majority was against a rapidly rising population and that we are being crowded out. Plus where to build all these houses quickly?

And with 2 housing markets, which would you choose to buy into if you had the economic means? The one with the guaranteed buyback at a price dictated by the government or the one determined by demand/supply that has potential greater returns?

The only way this scheme would work in my mind is building lots of housing quickly. I thought the majority was against a rapidly rising population and that we are being crowded out. Plus where to build all these houses quickly?

And with 2 housing markets, which would you choose to buy into if you had the economic means? The one with the guaranteed buyback at a price dictated by the government or the one determined by demand/supply that has potential greater returns?

against rising population? the fact is..the population are increasing despite what had been said and done by the ruling party and by opps......it will never stop...

Edited by LoverofCar

not entirely unworkable but there will be a need to think it out properly

1) determines who can or cannot buy NOM.

2) why the need for 1) privilege

3) sooner or later citizens gonna make noise why they buy NOM but cannot sell to OM (this i guarantee)

4) how to segregate, by individual flats, by blocks or by district

5) what about those that buy previously, can they sell and then buy NOM? so they make a profit now?

etc, etc

1 thing for sure... you cannot please everyone

errrrr....i tink someone forgot to tell sdp that hdb oredi hv such a scheme in place.

it's called Rental Flat. [laugh]

errrrr....i tink someone forgot to tell sdp that hdb oredi hv such a scheme in place.

it's called Rental Flat. [laugh]

as much as i think their scheme doesnt work.. but their ideal is better than Rental flat.

cause rental flat can be taken back anytime they dont meet the requirement but this NOM scheme wont.

I have doubts about this “Dual-market system” coz ppl will segregate it into a "poor & rich" market. Some districts catered for the "poor" will sooner or later turn into "slums". More or less turn the situation for the worse. Ppl not wanting to be categorized as "poor" end up all choosing to buy in the open market. Back to square one. Dan the "slums" more or less bcome "old folks home" coz the old dun have a choice. Not a good idea to split the market or have a dual system coz you will just segregate ppl into groups.

If HDB has to dictate from purchasing & selling, it's IMO no longer ownership. It's just rental giving you the false idea that you have ownership.

Edited by Watwheels

The way to solve this is to divide by individual flat, say 20% of flats in each block are NOM type, then no "poor / rich" divide.

I like the concept - but it does need tweaking. What is "no capital appreciation" exactly mean?

Does it mean that you pay the cost, plus the loan, but only get back the purchase price? What about inflation? How will the flat be priced when HDB buys back? Some sort of Cost + formula? Current construction cost?

Knowing sgporeans those who buy in the OM will compare and question why they are paying so much more. Just look at now the BTO flats build right next to DBSS flats. Ppl will feel that they are being "screwed" or taken for a ride.

Knowing sgporeans those who buy in the OM will compare and question why they are paying so much more. Just look at now the BTO flats build right next to DBSS flats. Ppl will feel that they are being "screwed" or taken for a ride.

This is one thing I can never quite understand -

of course some people comprain, but SO WHAT? Let them, so long as pricing and resale is transparent, let them complain. Why must be so scared?

This is one thing I can never quite understand -

of course some people comprain, but SO WHAT? Let them, so long as pricing and resale is transparent, let them complain. Why must be so scared?

It is because people/markets are generally driven by self-interest.

I personally don't know how they can implement this scheme as majority self-interest want to see their house appreciate in value as it an investment they can fall back on if required.

Turbocharged

the HDB plan did start well, and for the benefits of Singaporeans

is it the same now?

seriously, I think even he himself dun expect the current batches of flats will appreciate 5-20 times 20/30 years from now

Yesterday, Mr Lee, Acting Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing, and MPs such as Ms Indranee Rajah and Dr Lily Neo, planted trees in the estate. Mr Lee also said HDB plays an important role in providing homes for everyone.

But some "are unwise enough to sell their homes, thinking that they will get another one, then they find they can't and they have to rent a flat", he said.

People who held on to their homes have seen the property values going up between five and 20 times, he noted.

"This was a plan which we had from the very beginning. We give everyone a home at cost or below cost and as development takes place, everybody gets a lift. All boats rise when the tide rises."

Mr Lee said the country needs to "keep up with the rising aspirations of Singaporeans" and ensure that older estates "do not become decrepit".

the HDB plan did start well, and for the benefits of Singaporeans

is it the same now?

seriously, I think even he himself dun expect the current batches of flats will appreciate 5-20 times 20/30 years from now

Yesterday, Mr Lee, Acting Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing, and MPs such as Ms Indranee Rajah and Dr Lily Neo, planted trees in the estate. Mr Lee also said HDB plays an important role in providing homes for everyone.

But some "are unwise enough to sell their homes, thinking that they will get another one, then they find they can't and they have to rent a flat", he said.

People who held on to their homes have seen the property values going up between five and 20 times, he noted.

"This was a plan which we had from the very beginning. We give everyone a home at cost or below cost and as development takes place, everybody gets a lift. All boats rise when the tide rises."

Mr Lee said the country needs to "keep up with the rising aspirations of Singaporeans" and ensure that older estates "do not become decrepit".

dont be surprise.. the rate will be as fast as inflation..

the idea is good for ppl who just want a house and dun want to play property market...

current HDB also give you a false idea that you have ownership mah.....

if cheap and reasonably okay house, i dun mind you categorize me as "poor" lol

Haha...I mean to say the system will just drive ppl back to square one which is to buy from the OM.

Anyway I find it hard to believe sgporeans will stay status quo and not want to move forward and upgrade.

↡ Advertisement